Mazda 6 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 177 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
Isn't the choice of AKI 93 a pretty radical choice, say, versus AKI 91? I would think that 93 AKI may not be available if you travel, at least in some areas. Here in SW British Columbia (Canada) we can get ethanol free AKI 94... but only in BC. 91 or 92 is pretty easily available everywhere. The other thing about choosing a tune for a slightly lower AKI and then running a higher grade fuel is that any tendency to quell the knocking by richening the mixture would be curbed. Not that these engines (at least in a stock tuning state) have any tendency to dilute motor oil with fuel (like the turbo'd Honda's do).
In the USA, unless you live in the crazy land known as California (which only has 91), 93 is plentiful. A radical choice would have been E85 as its availability is scattered in some states.

Here in AZ we only have 91 in most places.

I have a question on what happens to Sport mode after the tune? Does the new tune have two different maps, one for regular driving and one for Sport mode? Or does Sport mode become redundant with a new tune?

Here in AZ we only have 91 in most places.

I have a question on what happens to Sport mode after the tune? Does the new tune have two different maps, one for regular driving and one for Sport mode? Or does Sport mode become redundant with a new tune?
From what I understand, a tune will not affect sport mode as that function is limited to how the transmission works in auto mode.

In the USA, unless you live in the crazy land known as California (which only has 91), 93 is plentiful. A radical choice would have been E85 as its availability is scattered in some states.

No 93 here as well. I think 93 is more limited than what you think it might be.

Obviously if it's common where you are it wouldn't be an issue as long as you don't stray too far.

I have zero experience with OV and Mazda tuning but I own a tuned Taurus SHO. In my tuner I have an 87, 91 and 93 tunes plus the stock file. If I have a hard time finding 93 octane fuel (94 in Canada) all I have to do is load a lower octane tune, it takes 2 minutes.

A relatively new company (Gearhead) is now offering a multi-octane tune for the Ecoboost, parameters auto-adjust depending on the fuel you add by reading what the knock sensor sees. You guys tuning the 6 should ask OV if they can come up with something like this.

Do you guys need to change your thermostat and MAP sensor with your tune?

I have zero experience with OV and Mazda tuning but I own a tuned Taurus SHO. In my tuner I have an 87, 91 and 93 tunes plus the stock file. If I have a hard time finding 93 octane fuel (94 in Canada) all I have to do is load a lower octane tune, it takes 2 minutes.

A relatively new company (Gearhead) is now offering a multi-octane tune for the Ecoboost, parameters auto-adjust depending on the fuel you add by reading what the knock sensor sees. You guys tuning the 6 should ask OV if they can come up with something like this.

Do you guys need to change your thermostat and MAP sensor with your tune?
I didn't replace anything on the car, everything is stock. If I want more power, then I'll have to do some modifications to the exhaust manifold.

All I have to "brag" about is the 20 wheel horsepower on the Dyno results but honestly, I can't tell the difference or perhaps I got used to it. I think that's what I might have missed when you do the tune one at a time and not like what I did with one shot hit on the dynamometer.

One thing that I know, fuel consumption has improved. I can only get 23 km/L but now, I can get 25/L.

On different octane ratings, I believe that the computer handles it automatically. It will adjust the ignition timing depending on the sensors.

I have a diesel variant, so I might be wrong.

Discussion starter · #28 ·
Subbed! Updates?
Not a thing... I am supposed to be waiting for the car they are developing the tune on to return to the dyno. Apparently I am at the mercy of someone else's whim. Not exactly ecstatic right now, but I am being patient.

Reactions: idrive
Is this tune something that a dealer can detect? If so, can it be removed without a trace, or are we uncertain about this?
I don't think so but I might be wrong. Last time the dealer checked the car, they used a computer to check the code. The guy who did it didn't say anything.

Regarding the stock ECU, if that's the right word, it is possible to return it. All you have to do is upload it to the car.

Discussion starter · #32 ·
Update... Nothing yet. No response to my last email inquiry.

Discussion starter · #33 ·
Still nothing...

I am anxiously awaiting results from your tune. I’m hoping to get a few mods done over the summer and get the tune in the fall so there’s some logging done in warm and cool weather.

Discussion starter · #36 ·
Discussion starter · #37 ·
First tune file installed!!!!

I haven't driven it yet. I've had a long day, so I will report back tomorrow.

I'll try to get logs by the end of the week, but I have a 4 day vacation coming up on Thursday, so it might not be till next week.

If you have a turbo car, theres no reason you shouldn't have a 3" turbo back (or cat back at least). Wish for more than 20hp on stock pipes is a literal pipe dream. Now ill sit back and wait for the "you need back pressure" comments...

There are actually a slew of things to consider about getting a full 3" turbo back on an unknown platform but here are a couple things related to OP.

1: In my experience, it's not hard at all to get over 20HP without upgrading anything in the exhaust at all as long as you're tuning a forced induction car. Depends on the car though.
2: Depending on the size of the wastegate on the OEM turbo, a full turboback system can introduce boost creep problems where the ECU is unable to bypass enough exhaust through the wastegate to keep the turbo from continuing to build more and more boost out of control as the RPMs rise. More flow is great as long as you can maintain control of the boost.

Frankly, not enough stuff done to these 2.5T engines for us to know these answers yet

Discussion starter · #40 ·
Definitely do NOT want back pressure. I agree this platform needs a good 3" system (minimum) from the turbo back to make any real power, but there are no downpipes available yet and I will be damned if I pay $1000 for a Corksport exhaust no matter how "pretty" it is.

Sorry to disappoint you. You won't hear "needs backpressure" from me...?

If you have a turbo car, theres no reason you shouldn't have a 3" turbo back (or cat back at least). Wish for more than 20hp on stock pipes is a literal pipe dream. Now ill sit back and wait for the "you need back pressure" comments...

21 - 40 of 177 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.