Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would start a separate thread to chronicle the process and review the tune. I have just received my software license key, so I will be getting the needed vehicle information, doing a stock ECU file dump to send to OV, and start datalogging, etc. Once I receive my first tune, I will be back with a review. I hope to have the vehicle information and stock ECU dump to OV by mid-week next week. I will get as much to them as I can on Monday.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Nice! Thanks for the keeping us in the loop. I'll be eagerly waiting for your updates.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Subbed! I have the CorkSport Intake for my CX-9 as well, just haven't installed it yet. I plan to do some of the same mods as you, like the intercooler and intercooler piping upgrade (if they release it for the CX-9).

Regarding the Pedal Commander, will you be using it with the tune, or will you be removing it? From what I understand, they can adjust throttle response just like the Pedal Commander can, but you would lose the ability to switch throttle response behaviour on the fly.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can use the Pedal Commander with the tune, you just need to disable it during datalogging. I ordered the throttle calibration enhancement, but according to OV they have not broken into those files on the ECU yet. When they are available I will get an update. When that happens, I will probably take off the Pedal Commander (IF the throttle calibration is up to my expectations, which it should be from previous experience).

Subbed! I have the CorkSport Intake for my CX-9 as well, just haven't installed it yet. I plan to do some of the same mods as you, like the intercooler and intercooler piping upgrade (if they release it for the CX-9).

Regarding the Pedal Commander, will you be using it with the tune, or will you be removing it? From what I understand, they can adjust throttle response just like the Pedal Commander can, but you would lose the ability to switch throttle response behaviour on the fly.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got my Device and VIN keys today so I will be able to send them my 1:1 ECU dump as well as my first datalog. I am going to try to do that this evening.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Exciting news, can't wait to see the results! What kind of gains are you expecting from the tune?

Right now they are concentrating on figuring out all of the files as well as concentrating on reliability as well as power which is fine with me. 30+whp and wtq is where they are falling currently, but I believe they have mostly been working with CX-9s, so the 6 may do a little better. They really want to get around 45-50whp and wtq as that would be a nice number that would be feasible without hurting reliability.

Remember, this is on a fully stock engine. It would be possible to gain even more peak torque, but with stock component reliability still a relative unknown, it would be better to just concentrate with total power under the curve.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Right now they are concentrating on figuring out all of the files as well as concentrating on reliability as well as power which is fine with me. 30+whp and wtq is where they are falling currently, but I believe they have mostly been working with CX-9s, so the 6 may do a little better. They really want to get around 45-50whp and wtq as that would be a nice number that would be feasible without hurting reliability.

Remember, this is on a fully stock engine. It would be possible to gain even more peak torque, but with stock component reliability still a relative unknown, it would be better to just concentrate with total power under the curve.
I only got 20+ as it won't be reliable if they push it at 40+ HP. Unless I'll remove the DPF and replace the exhaust manifold with at least 3 inches, but I'm not willing to do it at the moment.

I haven't checked with them to see if there is any future update with the tune since a year have passed.

What I have is the 2.2 L diesel variant.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sent my ECU dump and first datalog yesterday evening. I forgot how doggy the throttle felt without the Pedal Commander turned on! Glad to have that over and be able to turn it back on.

·
Registered
499 Posts
What did the tune cost you? Including shipping, taxes, etc.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What did the tune cost you? Including shipping, taxes, etc.

Their regular price is $479 for the software, hardware, and tuning service. I already had the software and hardware from a previous tune on another Mazda, so I am only paying for the tuning service. I would rather not say how much as I am just happy they cut me a deal.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haven't heard for OV yet since sending my ECU dump and 1st logs. Hopefully this week.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Haven't heard for OV yet since sending my ECU dump and 1st logs. Hopefully this week.
I am finishing up my tuning (6th tune) at the moment and I heard they are pretty swamped, my personal experience has been to typically expect a 2+ week response time given how busy they are. But they do eventually reply haha!

·
Registered
499 Posts
I am finishing up my tuning (6th tune) at the moment and I heard they are pretty swamped, my personal experience has been to typically expect a 2+ week after response time given how busy they are. But they do eventually reply haha!
How have the results been?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Amazing. It feels like a naturally aspirated 3L V6 engine now with good low end torque. Let one of my coworkers drive it. He swore it had a V6 inside.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mat contacted me this morning and said they were finishing some dyno work on this platform before they send out my tune. He made it seem like they were finalizing the tune, or were at least close to what they wanted to do. Of course I will have multiple iterations to fine-tune it for my car, but it sound promising. I didn't ask him about the throttle tables. I'll worry about that after I get my first tune. I told him he spoiled me on my CX-3 as his responses with tune updates were a matter of a couple of days ;-).

·
Registered
194 Posts
Mat contacted me this morning and said they were finishing some dyno work on this platform before they send out my tune. He made it seem like they were finalizing the tune, or were at least close to what they wanted to do. Of course I will have multiple iterations to fine-tune it for my car, but it sound promising. I didn't ask him about the throttle tables. I'll worry about that after I get my first tune. I told him he spoiled me on my CX-3 as his responses with tune updates were a matter of a couple of days 😉.
This is exciting to hear, what are the final hp and tq numbers they're aiming for, is it still 45-50whp? I'm assuming the tune is based on 91 octane?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is exciting to hear, what are the final hp and tq numbers they're aiming for, is it still 45-50whp? I'm assuming the tune is based on 91 octane?

I think that is still the goal. My tune octane will be 93.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Isn't the choice of AKI 93 a pretty radical choice, say, versus AKI 91? I would think that 93 AKI may not be available if you travel, at least in some areas. Here in SW British Columbia (Canada) we can get ethanol free AKI 94... but only in BC. 91 or 92 is pretty easily available everywhere. The other thing about choosing a tune for a slightly lower AKI and then running a higher grade fuel is that any tendency to quell the knocking by richening the mixture would be curbed. Not that these engines (at least in a stock tuning state) have any tendency to dilute motor oil with fuel (like the turbo'd Honda's do).

1 - 20 of 136 Posts