Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys...this isn't ususally like me to post something of this nature but if you have some extra time i'd appreciate any comments or advice...

I've recently come across a dillema which i'm sure many of you have...this has nothing to do with our 6's...or with anything about cars... :slap: so if you want you can stop reading this thead now...

Getting a job is a fucked up thing. :swearin: You need experience to get a job, but to get experience you obviously need a job. It seems that having a degree doesnt mean shit now a days. I mean correct me if i'm wrong, but i recently graduated from the New Jersey Institute of Technology, and a few years back when the IT movement was strong, I thought this would be the new boom in the industry. Now since graduating and holding a pretty big IT position with the M&M Mars company doing global Tech support and HelpDesk Management my position got outsourced. I'm not saying that outsourcing is bad, but it sure does suck for my field. So with this i applied for grad school, and thinking that with a MBA degree a management position is a much more solid and secure job. I will be attending 1 of the following 3 schools in New Jersey. 1. St. Peter's College in Jersey City, 2. Fairleigh Dickinson Unniversity, 3. Montclair State(pending interview this tuesday). I guess i'm a little frustrated, because none of the IT positions are paying what I was use to making, and all these MBA positions with management in the title need atleast 3-5 years experience. What is a guy to do??? see my problem.....

so i'm basically looking to you guys as you have helped me out many times in the past....if you guys are in someone of my situation...or HAVE been, and are now happy with the way things are going for you on the job scene....PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE let me know and give me some feedback or advice...

or if you have attended one of these schools for an MBA degree please let me know...
1. St. Peter's College
2. FDU
3. Monclair

sorry for the long post

- Danny

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
First off sorry you got F'ed over like that. Computer industry can suck like that. an MBA would be a great program, ave salary is 100k. Not only that but since you have a technology background it makes you more marketable. You might want to look at Rutgers for the MBA though. I only say this because rutgers is a nationally recognized school so anywhere in the country you go someone will know the school. As for another job look into state/county/govt jobs. Pay isisnt as great but its a secure job and I think they would pay for school.

On a side note go to www.csc.com I work for them and they have a few offices in the north jersey area. Might be worth checking out. PM me for some details.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
it's defenitely a catch 22. school is a great option, though.

i am in the same position as you, but i am looking at jobs in San Diego, as there are SEVERAL options in that area. some companies are even willing to hire without experience.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm sorta in a similiar situation as you just nowhere as bad. I'm 21 still in college nowhere near a degree since I can't make up my mind what I want to major in and dropped out for a year. That's from lack of experience. It took me a year of working 9-6 everyday to realize its time to go back to school. I'll be the first here to say CONGRATS of continuing your education bro. The job thing yo, honestly shit always works out for the best, you never know it until it does. You may be in a bad situation now but who knows maybe going back to college will lead you to being a millionaire in 5 years.

I live by FD and MSU, both are really good schools but everyone I knew from FD has transfer to William Paterson or to MSU. I would say MSU but I'm biase to it... they're both good schools for getting an education and both good schools for partying till your balls fall off. :boobs:

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
I am in a Similar Situation, Although the most messed up thing about it is...
I was Terminated from my Job today, they let me go which shocked the hell out of me. :tear:

I suggest to you that you start off working contract positions, Help desk stuff, little things like that can give you teh experience you need to put on a Resume. Good Luck life is hard for us Computer Techs now seeing as people are outsourcing alot of those Jobs now to Foreign places.

Beware of the Small companies they pay shit, and expect a golden egg. If you feel the need to talk or anything feel free to send me a PM

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
college was awesome, i should have never left. i thought going back for a masters was going to be fun, like undergrad, but it was just work. then, i thought a masters would give me a leg-up, until i got to work only to realize that it put me on the same level as just about everyone else. without it though, i would be a step behind.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys...i really appreciate your help and kind words, and especially the offer to PM you guys if i wanted to talk...really helps you guys are the best...aight enough of this mushy shit...

Things are begining to look up....I recently got into FDU, and had an interview with Montclair which ended up in her addmitting me into the program on a provisiional basis...take 4 classes maintain an 3.2 gpa and i'll be accepted fully into the Business School.

I also have a phone interview AT&T on tuesday of next week...some sort of technical/assistant project manager work which is kinda up my ally because of the whole MBA thing it should be a good resume builder.

Point of the story is...i was down and posted here, you guys are great, and if your in my situation...DONT GIVE UP...keep applying for school/jobs, and you'll get positive feedback sooner or later...head up and keep on trying!!! :cheers:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
7 Participants
sexy6s
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing