Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know these have been around for quite a while now and that a number of people around here have one, but i just got around to finally putting an HTPC together. so far, i'm very thrilled with it. i already have a HD/DVR/digital cable box, but i wanted the MCE interface for all my music. all of the other features merely serve as a bonus. i even installed the mceWeather plugin, which gives me up to date weather reports, forecasts, and satellite info at the touch of a button. i'm still working on getting all my mp3's tagged properly, but it's going well so far. Tag&Rename is definitely the way to go if you want everything to show up correctly in MCE.

anyway, here are the specs and some pics....

- 2.8GHz 1MB L2/800MHz FSB Intel Pentium 4 CPU
- Kingston 512MB DDR400 RAM
- MSI PM8M-V Motherboard
- PNY GeForce 6200 128MB Video Card
- Hauppauge Win-TV PVR-150 MCE FM/TV Tuner Card
- AOpen Cobra AW870LP 7.1 Sound Card
- NEC 16x DVD±R DVD Burner
- ASPIRE X-QPACK case w/ 420W PSU
- Windows XP Media Center Edition
- Microsoft Windows Media Center Remote Control

the PC:
putting it together was pretty easy. the case is a wonderful piece of work. it's really compact, but still leaves lots of room for air circulation and wires. the pull-out motherboard tray was a lifesaver. the transparent sides and top add a nice touch, as well.

(click thumbnails to enlarge)

MCE interface:
for the most part, MCE is very user-friendly. everything can be done with a remote control, but i keep a mouse and keyboard around just in case. in these screenshots, you can see the main menu, album list, tv guide, tv screencap, weather forecast, satellite data, and FM radio.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Very nice build. A couple months ago I put together my own DVR using Linux and MythTV. Looks like they have really similar abilities. Although I have to say I like the layout of MCE a little better. How much storage are you using? Also, how much did the project cost you in the end?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'm using a 200GB hard drive. after installing the OS and transferring all my mp3's, there's still a ton of room left.

as far as cost, as with anything, i ended up spending more than i would have liked. the only reason i decided to take on this project is because i've accumulated so many PC parts over the years. i had an old motherboard, CPU, memory, hard drive, and video card laying around, so i threw something together just to see how it might work out. once i did that, i instantly found myself hooked on the idea of a HTPC. that's when i started piecing things together and spending more money. all in all, i'd say i spent about $700.

·
Registered
799 Posts
i'm using a 200GB hard drive. after installing the OS and transferring all my mp3's, there's still a ton of room left.

as far as cost, as with anything, i ended up spending more than i would have liked. the only reason i decided to take on this project is because i've accumulated so many PC parts over the years. i had an old motherboard, CPU, memory, hard drive, and video card laying around, so i threw something together just to see how it might work out. once i did that, i instantly found myself hooked on the idea of a HTPC. that's when i started piecing things together and spending more money. all in all, i'd say i spent about $700.
[/b]
Can you record in HD?

·
Registered
947 Posts
That thing is sweet!

When I first opend the post, I thought that first picture was a hightech microwave...

HAha... not trying to be a D*ck... MAD PROPS!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've got 2, one Linux Mythtv box, and one Windows BeyondTV box, the hardware in teh windows one isn't entirly linux compatable, so I had to make a windows one, I use my modded XBOX as a front end for both with SAMBA shares and streaming media plugins, so both my box's are in another room, and my living room only has an xbox, much quieter. :D

·
Registered
905 Posts
Nice, I recently built one for about 100 bucks and parts that i had laying around. I'm looking into getting an HDTV antenna as it's not capable with the satellite reciever i have.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
skeurton
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing