Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has been driving the 6 for the past few months and I have been driving a pos beater...
Well it was time for me to get something decent for myself!

And here it is... 03 VW Golf GTI 1.8T (yes that means a turbo) w/ 25k...
Silverstone Grey - 5spd - Black leather -Moonroof...
It's bone stock besides an HKS BOV and the smoked bumper lights that I just put on...
My sparco springs are getting installed tomorrow (1.7" drop) and a new custom audio system ( Alpine HU, 2 Kicker 10" L7s and a Kicker 1200.1 monoblock)

*I know the pictures suck and the car is dirty but it's been raining ALL week...

My winter/spring plans are a chip / Turbo Back exhaust / New DV / Tires / Coilovers...

So what do you guys think?

It's kinda funny because I thought the 6i was decent for power(nothing great) but now the 6 is WAY to slow...
I missed a turbo SO MUCH! :D :D :D

Better pictures will be coming soon, after the audio and springs...

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
nice. some black/gunmetal rims with polished lip would look good. just hope you can do your own work on it as vws are a bitch in terms of service and repairs, in my experience anyways.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nice. some black/gunmetal rims with polished lip would look good. just hope you can do your own work on it as vws are a bitch in terms of service and repairs, in my experience anyways.
[/b]
Thanks... ya rims should be on for next summer, but the "GO" is my first concern... The 6 looks good so this one is the fast one...

I will do 90% of the work on it myself and the other 10% my friend will do... (he is a VW freak!)

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
i've read that BOVs and GTIs don't mix. apparently CEL's are a major problem. just thought i'd "throw" that out there.

ps - gti's are freakin' SWEET. good purchase.

edit:

holy crap, i didn't even realize it you zooyork. nows that defintely sweet. good luck with the installs.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how much did you get it for?
[/b]
$13.5k :D

Putting on a little more aggressive front lip will set that car off! Great pick up.
[/b]
Well I am going for a sleeper look, So if a do anything on the front end it would be a R32 bumper... Aggressive but OEM...

i've read that BOVs and GTIs don't mix. apparently CEL's are a major problem. just thought i'd "throw" that out there.
ps - gti's are freakin' SWEET. good purchase.
edit:
holy crap, i didn't even realize it you zooyork. nows that defintely sweet. good luck with the installs.
[/b]
Ya man! I have always loved the GTIs!!

Bov's don't do to well w/ them... Getting a Forge 007 DV to replace the HKS...

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Congrats man, I hope this doesnt mean your gunna bail on us here in NE for meets in the future.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Congrats man, I hope this doesnt mean your gunna bail on us here in NE for meets in the future.
[/b]
Thanks man... Nah, I will still be around... Our meets are a blast!

·
Registered
394 Posts
bad ass car man, good choice. ive always loved gti's. you should have gotten the new rabbit, they got the plad interior like the original ones did hahaha. its actually pretty pimp

·
Registered
634 Posts
BOVs make 1.8t's run rich when they are venting to atmosphere. 1.8t's require that boost be vented to the intake (after the MAF), hence the use of a DV instead of a BOV.

Good luck with the car. I'd look for extended warranty coverage or make sure I can do ALL the motor, suspension, and electrical maintenance that it will undoubtedly need myself.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bad ass car man, good choice. ive always loved gti's. you should have gotten the new rabbit, they got the plad interior like the original ones did hahaha. its actually pretty pimp
[/b]
Thanks - Personally I'm not feeling the new rabbits... Plus I already distroyed one last wk... (another story)

BOVs make 1.8t's run rich when they are venting to atmosphere. 1.8t's require that boost be vented to the intake (after the MAF), hence the use of a DV instead of a BOV.

Good luck with the car. I'd look for extended warranty coverage or make sure I can do ALL the motor, suspension, and electrical maintenance that it will undoubtedly need myself.
[/b]
Ya the BOV is coming out as I have stated... The one on this car has not caused a cel, but I do feel a slight shudder/surging when I am on med throttle...

As for the maintenance, I will do 'most' of the engine work and all susp and elec. My friend is a golf/VW freak so he can basically go through the entire car if need be... (I hope not)

This car will NOT be a dealer queen... The turbo back exhaust + chip alone w/ not make it dealer friendly...

Plus I have already ripped out the stock susp when I installed the new spacro springs, it's a very simple design, I love it!!! Esp when I have a scissor lift and impact to use. (friends shop!)

·
Registered
634 Posts
As long as you can replace timing belts and the turbo you should be ok with a 1.8t. make sure you've got synthetic in that thing too (although I'm sure your buddy's told you this already). K03s cook dino oil...particularly when chipped.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As long as you can replace timing belts and the turbo you should be ok with a 1.8t. make sure you've got synthetic in that thing too (although I'm sure your buddy's told you this already). K03s cook dino oil...particularly when chipped.
[/b]
Yep not a problem... The only thing I won't do on my own is work on the lower block...

Plus the k03 will only be in for about a yr before I upgrade turbos...

Thanks for the info...

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Excellent choice! Love the GTI! If you can resist doing anything to the outside and put all your money on the performance goodies, then you've got yourself a real stealth machine there. I'm serious. Leave it bone stock on the outside. In fact, all I'd do is debadge it, or put GOLF badges on it. No one will give you second glance (that's a good thing!). Until you blow their doors off!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Excellent choice! Love the GTI! If you can resist doing anything to the outside and put all your money on the performance goodies, then you've got yourself a real stealth machine there. I'm serious. Leave it bone stock on the outside. In fact, all I'd do is debadge it, or put GOLF badges on it. No one will give you second glance (that's a good thing!). Until you blow their doors off!
[/b]
Until you go big turbo and the requisite FMIC. Then anyone who knows poop about VAG cars will figure you out real quick ;)

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
[/b]
Well I don't know if I can completly resist but I am trying! Performance comes first all the way... It will get debadged in the near future. And some time next spring I will get some lightweight 17s and sways... :D

Until you go big turbo and the requisite FMIC. Then anyone who knows poop about VAG cars will figure you out real quick ;)
[/b]
Well the FMIC can be hidden... Technically you can leave all the lower grill panals on w/ most of the FMICs available... But knowing me, once I get to the B.T. and FMIC, I will want to show it! ;)

I have a soft spot for FMICs!! :yesnod: :D

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The dash looks pretty bland. I'd do something in there just so you don't go crazy driving it. Any thoughts of an aftermarket deck/sound system?
[/b]
Well the dash is simple, but I like it... It's completly black! :yesnod:

As for audio, I installed my Alpine HU last night and wired it for a Kicker 1200.1 monoblock (it's in the mail) and I have 2 10" Kicker L7's in a sealed box waiting to get hooked up...

And I have 50' of sound damping in the mail as well...

So the system should be pretty loud and decent enough sq.

The HU will be replaced for a Double Din Nav/Dvd system in the near future and 6.5 Focal components will be installed some time soon when $$ available...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts