Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow, as mentioned in another thread, I am picking up my new 6s 5-Speed... God willing. The drive from the dealership to my home is about 66 miles. The car, already has 70 miles on it from various test drives and technician checks (so claims the salesman). yeah, I know that's rather high for a "new car" but I couldn't find another one and I'm luck I found this one...

Please tell me that I don't have to drive 55 mph on RT 95 South the ENTIRE way back home, according to the manual. Especially since my brother-in-law is driving a 1999 Solara SE V6 5-Speed, and I will look silly slowing him down! Not that I plan on racing or exceeding 80 mph, but 55 is required?

Does this break-in period really exist for the 5-Speed, or is it just the Automatic transmission model? I've gotta tell you guys, I drove the car yesterday, and this car is so incredible it's beyond words. I am glad I got the 5-speed. It reminds me so much of my old MX-6, but it has more power and 4 doors!

So how about my trip back home? What's your opinion on the speed etc?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Replying to Topic 'My New 6s 5-Speed Break-In Period'

For breakin, i varied my speed a lot. On the Freeways i drove between 65-70, really not over that at any time. On the way home, my dad drove the 6 back from the dealership (2 hr, 30 min drive) and he said he only went about 60-70 mph. Yeah, i know, its a pain for the first 600 miles or so, but then thats when the REAL FUN starts.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Reading Topic: My New 6s 5-Speed Break-In Period

The manual says "No break-in period is required" but then goes on to say to drive it easy for 600 miles. Sounds like a breakin to me!

I don't think it says not to drive over 55. Obey the +5mph speed limit of either 60 or 70 and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

I kept it under 4000 rpm for the first 600 miles which should still let you kick down to 4th at around 70 mph so you can vary rpms. Just don't do any full throttle starts or rev the engine too high/hard. The break-in will still let you race around on smaller back roads at lower speeds, but doesn't give you alot of room to drive "fun" on the highway. Just take it easy the first 600 miles and the car will reward you from there on out!

·
Registered
383 Posts

Here's a link to a motorcycle Engine Break In Site. It says it is controversial at the top of the page, but it seems to make sense and while it is only anecdotal evidence, there seems to be a lot of it! The priciples should apply to any internal combustion engine.

·
Registered
167 Posts

i am getting the Mazda6s auto. i don't know manual, and i am to lazy to learn...anyways, i drive like 36 miles to work and 36 back. this is going to be hard for me for the first 2 weeks to stay below 70 mph. i usually go 80 to 97. my current car is a '97 chev blazer.

words can't describe this car, it rules. i was having so much fun on the test drive. sorry, i am just babbling on, lol

·
Registered
980 Posts

Originally posted by pgmr

Here's a link to a motorcycle  Engine Break In Site.  It says it is controversial at the top of the page, but it seems to make sense and while it is only anecdotal evidence, there seems to be a lot of it!  The priciples should apply to any internal combustion engine.[/b]
I've seen this before. Couldn't be someone just trying to be funny although its not really funny if someone's engine screws up because of this.

·
Registered
534 Posts

I believe you should not redline it, but occasionally rev the rpms up to 5500 or so. You have to be careful though because once it goes past 4000, it climbs quickly on this car. I found myself chirping the tires going from 1st-2nd and I didn't mean to. I believe it is important to take it easy on a new engine, like no drag racing and such, but these engines are stronger than you think.

I purposely vary the rpms so as to seat everything better. I believe it is good to shift at high rpms on rare occasions until 600 or so miles is gone.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts

Every motorcycle guy I've ever talked to said break it in like your gonna drive it. I've never had a problem with any new cars or bikes using this philosophy, I just stay out of the redline until the first oil change, and as long as you dont drive like an idiot on public streets you shouldnt have anything to worry about. Now, I dont recomend taking it to the track, but if you ever saw how they drove the cars around the plant where they were assembled I think it would alleviate your break-in fears, or make you not want to buy a new car.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I was doing pretty well during my "liberal" break-in period. I say liberal because I've kept maximum top speed on the highway to 75-80mph, for shot periods only (passing); and 65-70mph mostly. I haven't allowed RPMs to go past 4000.

But today it all went to hell for half-second. I'm on I-95 today during lunch, in no paticular rush. Traffic is moderate, but annoyingly heavier than usual. This section of the highway is pretty urban so speed limit is 50 mph. I'm doing 55-60 mph in high-speed lane, which is clear. Then I see a slow-moving new accord coupe merge into the travel lane and right into the high-speed lane, right in my path. I immedietely have to slow down to 40mph, very fast. But I don't tailgate, I keep my distance, and I'm in 5th gear still. The guy just keeps going 40 mph, I am getting peeved but I keep my distance (I despise tailgaiters).

Then I see the passenger reach up and throw some garbage right out the sunroof. It was only a wrapper or something, but I hate litter bugs even more than tailgaiters. Last straw!

I look to my right and make sure all is clear. It is. I drop into 4th gear, and zoom past the guy on the right (illegal). He sees me speed up, and he decides to so speed up now. There is a car in my new lane, about 3 car lengths ahead of him though. My opportunity to pass is closing. I punch it. Scoot in front of the accord, and take off leaving him in the dust. In the meantime, I believe my RPMs went up to 6000 for a second. This is mile 309 in the car...

This car requires restraint.....

·
Registered
6,083 Posts

Go ahead my son, Break that six.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts