Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

Just took delivery of a black 2021 Mazda6 Touring two days ago. Currently has a mere 112 miles on the odo, which is something that I'm not used to seeing....the car that it is replacing was a 2000 Infiniti I30t which had 193-ishK on the clock at time of sale (family owned for it's entire life up 'til then - first my father-in-law, then me). Needless to say, our family plays for keeps when we buy vehicles, and typically hold 'em for at least 10 years when we do.

There's lots of stuff to unpack in my new journey, and hopefully I'll be able to share and learn with the people here along the way. My first take is...I've got an actual warranty for the first time in forever. Not sure how to handle that. We had a fleet of older cars in our house that I did a lot of maintenance on (at least what I could accomplish on my own anyway). Now, we've replaced three out of four 200k vehicles, and it's weird. Two out of three were used vehicle purchases, but very new in overall condition. This one is ACTUALLY NEW. My God, I may actually enjoy vehicle ownership again...what an amazing concept.

As far as the car itself goes, it's practically a starship compared to what I'm used to, and there's much to be learned in how this one will behave. One thing is very clear - even with the base engine, it's quicker in the midrange and has more useable torque than the I30's V-6. It also doesn't need premium and will still get great mileage. It's quiet, roomy, has a lovely cabin, and still offers a good visibility in spite of modern build. It also handles like it's on rails. I'm certain that all of these things are not new to the crowd here, but it's all new to me, so I had to share. Lastly...the looks. Hands down, it's the best looking mid-size sedan out there and it does so without looking like it's trying too hard (cough-camry-cough).

That's all I got for now, hope you all enjoyed my noob post.

·
Super Moderator
18,124 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Congrats on your purchase. Not only are you in a brand new car for the first time in a while, you're moving from a Nissan (Infiniti) to a Mazda. There's a reason so many of us on here are so passionate about this brand; Mazda makes cars fun to drive, not just for A to B.

I've had my car since Feb 2013 when it had 100 miles on it. I'm approaching 180k and have loved every second of driving it. We've got a few guys/gals on here with many more miles than I have and none of us have run into any major issues. These skyactive engines are incredibly well built.

Hope you enjoy the car for many years to come - oh and be careful with the mod bug - once you start, it's hard to stop :D

·
Registered
100 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your new Mazda. Based on my Mazda experience, I suspect you will find the warranty to be irrelevant. I bet 100,000 miles passes before you have any repairs beyond basic maintenance and even then very minor.

Enjoy your Mazda. I predict it will be the best car you ever own.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So two (plus) weeks in and I figured I'd give something of an update, now that I've gotten to know the car a bit better. First of all, I can say that it still has the original dealer detailing, and hasn't seen rain as of yet (not planning on her being a garage queen, but I can use another vehicle that sits outside already which I can use in stormy, perhaps hail-inducing, bad summer weather). I've dusted her off a couple times with a swiffer and wiped the wheels, sprayed water and gently removed the bugs, but that's about it. For whenever she sees rain, I got the Mazda all weather floor mats. They may not look as cool as the originals (which are beautifully designed), but I prefer to put wet feet on rubber, rather than carpeted floor mats.

So, driving. I love this thing more and more every time I take it out. Seriously, zero buyer's remorse. I am thrilled every time I open the garage door and see it sitting there and waiting to get out and run. I mentioned the big things I liked about it previously (handling and surprising torque from the base N/A engine), but I'm starting to appreciate the little things as well. The shifting and spacing between the gears is very good, almost perfect. The trans itself always seems to know what to do, which isn't necessarily the case in modern transmissions (think that may be due to many having too damn many gears, but I digress). Interior-wise, I really appreciate the overall look of the dash. The padding/stitching is something that's usually found on the upper trims of most cars, not in the mid levels. I like the way that the side vents angle into the doors, and the blend of the door handle into the stainless door trim - nice designs. Same with the HVAC controls, really masterful simplicity and functionality.

As much as this is the perfect vehicle for me, there's always something...in this case it's a rather small something. When I test drive vehicles, I'm really there to test the vehicle...how it performs, how it feels, how it sounds, how it fits me. I usually don't pay much attention to the ancillary stuff like touchscreens or audio. In the case of the former, I know that the unit in there is much maliged for being old tech. For someone like me, I have no problem with it. Using the screen when stationary and the little wheel when moving isn't much of a problem, and frankly I think that being a knock on this vehicle is overblown. My nitpick is with the overall audio system. It's adequate, but not great. I know that this is not a GT so I don't get the Bose that comes with that package, but I do wish that it would have been offered as an option for Touring as it was previously. Once again, it's not a bad system, but I've gotten used to better. My two previous cars had upgraded sound systems (Sony in my Ford, Bose in the Infiniti). The Bose was 20 years old and the overall speaker quality wasn't great it at least had a sub to provide some full low end. That's one thing I may look to add in the future, but likely not until the warranty expires. Car companies love to void parts of warranties when anything is touched, so I'm likely to sit this one out for a while. To that end, any sub I'm considering would not be of the trunk-filling window-shaking variety. I'm looking for something that just provides additional depth/low end, is discreet, and doesn't require the interior to be hacked up to put into place. If anybody has some suggestions to that, I'm all ears, but take your time ...this won't be happening for a while.

·
Super Moderator
18,124 Posts
Glad you're enjoying the car so far!

So two (plus) weeks in and I figured I'd give something of an update, now that I've gotten to know the car a bit better. First of all, I can say that it still has the original dealer detailing, and hasn't seen rain as of yet (not planning on her being a garage queen, but I can use another vehicle that sits outside already which I can use in stormy, perhaps hail-inducing, bad summer weather). I've dusted her off a couple times with a swiffer and wiped the wheels, sprayed water and gently removed the bugs, but that's about it. For whenever she sees rain, I got the Mazda all weather floor mats. They may not look as cool as the originals (which are beautifully designed), but I prefer to put wet feet on rubber, rather than carpeted floor mats.
If/when you get to detailing/protecting, I highly suggest checking out Chemical Guys products. I was a Griot's guy for years but noticed a decline in quality - then I was introduced to Chemical Guys - never going back.

I'm with you on the mats too - I've got Weathertech ones for winter and dislike how they look but love the functionality - and they save my carpets from brutal winters. If you like the mats that much, you might want to look into the Mazda trunk mat also - I've got one and love it because it fits perfect and covers up the bland, standard trunk liner.

So, driving. I love this thing more and more every time I take it out. Seriously, zero buyer's remorse. I am thrilled every time I open the garage door and see it sitting there and waiting to get out and run. I mentioned the big things I liked about it previously (handling and surprising torque from the base N/A engine), but I'm starting to appreciate the little things as well. The shifting and spacing between the gears is very good, almost perfect. The trans itself always seems to know what to do, which isn't necessarily the case in modern transmissions (think that may be due to many having too damn many gears, but I digress). Interior-wise, I really appreciate the overall look of the dash. The padding/stitching is something that's usually found on the upper trims of most cars, not in the mid levels. I like the way that the side vents angle into the doors, and the blend of the door handle into the stainless door trim - nice designs. Same with the HVAC controls, really masterful simplicity and functionality.
Welcome to Mazda :)

Seriously - this attention to detail and joy of driving is prevalent in all of their vehicles. It's what keeps us coming back for more. Fair warning: don't get into a Miata ND (current generation) - You'll have trouble walking away. By far the most fun car I've ever driven.

As much as this is the perfect vehicle for me, there's always something...in this case it's a rather small something. When I test drive vehicles, I'm really there to test the vehicle...how it performs, how it feels, how it sounds, how it fits me. I usually don't pay much attention to the ancillary stuff like touchscreens or audio. In the case of the former, I know that the unit in there is much maliged for being old tech. For someone like me, I have no problem with it. Using the screen when stationary and the little wheel when moving isn't much of a problem, and frankly I think that being a knock on this vehicle is overblown. My nitpick is with the overall audio system. It's adequate, but not great. I know that this is not a GT so I don't get the Bose that comes with that package, but I do wish that it would have been offered as an option for Touring as it was previously. Once again, it's not a bad system, but I've gotten used to better. My two previous cars had upgraded sound systems (Sony in my Ford, Bose in the Infiniti). The Bose was 20 years old and the overall speaker quality wasn't great it at least had a sub to provide some full low end. That's one thing I may look to add in the future, but likely not until the warranty expires. Car companies love to void parts of warranties when anything is touched, so I'm likely to sit this one out for a while. To that end, any sub I'm considering would not be of the trunk-filling window-shaking variety. I'm looking for something that just provides additional depth/low end, is discreet, and doesn't require the interior to be hacked up to put into place. If anybody has some suggestions to that, I'm all ears, but take your time ...this won't be happening for a while.
Yeah don't be too down on not having the GT-spec system. Sure, it's better, but it's still severely lacking in lows. Mids and highs it handles pretty well for what it's got, but there's definitely room for improvement. I'm a bit of an audio nerd so I'm patiently waiting for a need/time to upgrade the system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah don't be too down on not having the GT-spec system. Sure, it's better, but it's still severely lacking in lows. Mids and highs it handles pretty well for what it's got, but there's definitely room for improvement. I'm a bit of an audio nerd so I'm patiently waiting for a need/time to upgrade the system.
Whenever you figure that out, please share far/wide.:cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Also a new buyer... 2021 Grand Touring(2.5T) in Machine Gray. One of the last ones available for hundreds of miles from me. The other trims were Signature(not a fan of white interior), Reserve(none), Carbon (lots, but hate the color scheme), and the non-turbo trims(I really wanted a turbo because Mazda does turbos correctly)... So I laid some cash to hold that baby and got it... 64 miles on it!
I have the Bose 11-spkr system and it frankly sucks. It will need some sort of bass enhancement in the future as well. Mazda really puked on itself here by picking Bose... a name that is synonymous with an obsession with midrange ("No highs, No lows.. must be Bose"). I didn't choose this car for its sound system and if anyone does for any car, they're ignorant.
I also get why the cupholders in other newer Mazdas are not in the place as they are in the 6, because if you have cups in there, it blocks access to the all-important control wheel. Conversely though, if you look at the 3 for example, with the cupholders in the forward section of the center, it blocks the access of the (afterthought) USB port. Either config is a miss, so I don't feel too bad.
I immediately purchased WeatherTech floor liners for likely use year-round as I am a bit of an OCD when if comes to moisture in my carpeting. I'll probably purchase some very cheap carpet mats to go on top of those and figure out a way to secure them on the WT's (for comfort with bare feet), but still have the WT moisture protection of the main carpet.
I also went on Amazon to buy a pair of silicone fob covers. My anxiety with the fragility of these behemoths is solved.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
I have the Bose 11-spkr system and it frankly sucks. It will need some sort of bass enhancement in the future as well. Mazda really puked on itself here by picking Bose... a name that is synonymous with an obsession with midrange ("No highs, No lows.. must be Bose").
Just some EQing is all you need. Ive posted about how to fix it quite easily and it works over BT if you use it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts