Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... there I was sitting at an intersection, waiting to turn left to go to an auto wreckers (dont know if thats irony or not) to look for some parts for my 91 legacy ss winter beater (which i'm glad i bought now) when out of nowhere I get hit full speed from a guy and his driving instructor in the instructors corolla. I'm going to let that sink in for a minute. I did just say driving instructor. Not sure what the hell happened there, but I guess both of them weren't paying attention to the car that had made a complete stop up ahead of them but whatever. With 2 people that have brakes in the car, neither of them used them in ramming my car full force. Hit us so hard the seats reclined. Nobody was hurt seriously though my girlfriend has whiplash. I guess the ms6 took that accident like a champ though considering the damage to his car. Anyways, long boring story short, the ms6 has a lot of damage to the bumper, the exhaust and the trunk. From what I've read on the boards over the past year, its going to be a long wait for parts which I guess I should be lucky its almost winter now and cant drive the car anyways. I was 7 days shy of a full year with my car. Not even 20 thousand kilometres on the car yet. Bleh.

And I'm sure what everyone is waiting for. The Pictures

Sucks to have to read another of these stories, only this time it was my own.

/jason

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Sorry for your loss :( . I hope it get's fixed fast. Maybe they were both on cell phones and that's why they didn't see u. :swearin:

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Dude, sorry to hear/see it. That said, your car held up extremely well compared to the car that hit you! One interesting thing was seeing how the gas tank dropped. Was there any fuel leaking? I'd hate to think we might have another potential Ford Pinto in the MS6 when it comes to read-end collisions!!!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
wow, good to hear everyone walked away. the speed6 doesn't look too wrecked, but i'm sure it'll be totalled out.

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
Glad you walked away from that. I've been rear-ended too. Damage looked similar execpt for the exhaust. I had some frame damage.

·
Registered
117 Posts
wow, good to hear everyone walked away. the speed6 doesn't look too wrecked, but i'm sure it'll be totalled out.
[/b]
Ouch! Make sure to get all new front seats and a complete (and hopefully higher end) exhaust system. Do not forget to have them check your engine mounts as well as manifold mounting screws... Things may seem ok for now but these things are likely stressed from being wacked in the tail (pipe). :swearin:

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Welp there goes his Driving instructor job.....You only got a damaged rear end where he is probably going to lose everything. I bet he didn't wake up in the morning and expect that.....sad :(

but anyways your damage does look fixable though, and your car might not be totalled. Ideally though it just might be sitting on the auto repair lot for a while. Sorry about all of this man, and stay positive like you are doing now.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Sorry to hear about the damage to your baby. Hope your girlfriend recovers quickly from whiplash.

I'm also interested in the story on the gas tank. Any leakage?

·
Registered
76 Posts
no one wins in an accident, It can be very stressful to both parties. The MS6 look solid from that impact, If there is any sign of chasis bent or frame damage, demand a total for it.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Lots of sympathy I have for you man. Have to be happy you walked away with yourself still the same that is the most important thing there. As for the car I prob would have cried. But good luck with them repairing it fast and you getting the accident settled in court cause your gonna need it, who knows when you will see compensation for it. My sister got her car rapped around a telephone pole guy ran the stop sign at 55mph 2 1/2 years later finally got the settlement to cover her costs from rentals and doctor bills and car repair bills.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Dude, sorry to hear/see it. That said, your car held up extremely well compared to the car that hit you! One interesting thing was seeing how the gas tank dropped. Was there any fuel leaking? I'd hate to think we might have another potential Ford Pinto in the MS6 when it comes to read-end collisions!!!
[/b]

Where are you seeing the gas tank drop down? I see the muffler bent down. Also isn't the tank in front of the rear differential?

Edit to add yes it is. The tank is over the front part of the differential.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Where are you seeing the gas tank drop down? I see the muffler bent down. Also isn't the tank in front of the rear differential?

Edit to add yes it is. The tank is over the front part of the differential.

[/b]
here's the link to pic -

Looks pretty down to me....

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ouch. That really ruins a weekend. What's important is no one got hurt. I'm surprised your car doesn't look worse than it is.

·
Registered
39 Posts
here's the link to pic -
Looks pretty down to me....
[/b]

I don't own a MS6 but I am pretty sure that is the muffler.

1. It is behind the rear axle. The gas tank is in front of the axle.
2. The picture you showed has the fake tip from the rear bumper attached to it.
3. that is really small for a gas tank.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I don't own a MS6 but I am pretty sure that is the muffler.

1. It is behind the rear axle. The gas tank is in front of the axle.
2. The picture you showed has the fake tip from the rear bumper attached to it.
3. that is really small for a gas tank.
[/b]
Um, that's just wrong. That IS the fuel cell. That's why I asked. Show me another muffler with that big of a baffle. There is not one.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Um, that's just wrong. That IS the fuel cell. That's why I asked. Show me another muffler with that big of a baffle. There is not one.
[/b]
Look at this picture This one

On the right is the other muffler. On the left is what you are calling the fuel cell.

Also notice the other picture I posted that I stole from the person who put on a new anti-sway bar. The black tank over the differential is the tank.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Look at this picture This one

On the right is the other muffler. On the left is what you are calling the fuel cell.

Also notice the other picture I posted that I stole from the person who put on a new anti-sway bar. The black tank over the differential is the tank.
[/b]
from that view you're right. I did not see that in the pics posted previously. Those gave the impression of something MUCH larger (like the fuel cell) than this pic you posted here.

Fair enough, I'm wrong. happy?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts