Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I am at a crossroads in my quest for a Mazda 6s. I need to advice. Basically, V6 5-speeds manuals have become so rare around the Northeast that they’re nearly impossible to find at this time. If you do find one, your paying MSRP for it. I wanted the 5-speed mainly because it was the best of both worlds for me. It is cheaper than the automatic and it was obviously more fun, being a 5-speed. So that put the Mazda6s right in my price range, since I figured I could get at least $1000 off MSRP, meaning a bit less than $22,000 at least.

Not going to happen. A local dealer had only one 5-speed manual with Sport and Bose, and he absolutely refused to budge from MSRP. CarsDirect.com can’t locate a 5-Speed with Sport Package on the entire East Coast in their network. Dealers are smelling pure profit, thanks to Mazda’s lack of foresight.

So basically my options are as follows:

1. Go with the 5-Speed Automatic. I have considered this one, since I test-drove the auto with Steptronic shifter. Power was abundant, and I could always move to manual on the highway etc. It actually was very nice. In fact, I test drove both the 5-Speed Manual and the Automatic, and the Automatic seemed to make better use of the car’s power, because the manual seemed to have an overly long throw. What do you guys think about this option?

2. Order a 5-Speed through a dealer or CarsDirect. CarsDirect told me it would take 3-4 months, and a non-refundable deposit. That’s basically the entire summer without a car
at all, since I have none.

3. Wait for production of the 5-Speed V6 manual to increase, and for it to be in less demand. Who knows when this will happen though…

3. Go with another manufacturer. Most notable mentions are the Altima, RSX, Accord etc.

I was thinking of this idea. Since automatics are really negotiable right now, I can get one at a good price (about $400 over invoice); which is $600 LESS than a 5-Speed at MSRP right now. So I could get the automatic at a great price, and stick with it for a year.

In a year, if I still want the 5-speed, I go back to a Mazda dealer and offer to trade my auto for an 2004 5-Speed manual. By then the 5-Speed should be in less short supply since production will increase. So I shouldn’t lose too much (but I will lose some since Mazda resale values aren’t the greatest); since an auto is worth more than a 5-speed manual anyway. Also, there might be rebates etc by then.

Sound like it could work? Or I could sell the automatic on the private market (tougher, but doable) for more much than what a dealer will offer as a trade, and go get a 5-speed after that.

I’m disappointed that Mazda couldn’t even get it’s own success right. The advertised the 5-Speed manualV6 in all their ad spots and commercials. But they didn’t produce many! This has lead to dealer gouging and “bad blood” between Mazda dealers and buyers.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Reading Topic: My Mazda 6s Quest is at a Crossroads

Tulley Mazda in Nashua, NH had a fully loaded black one that fits your requirements. It might be a stretch, but it might be worth it to deal over the phone.

Have you checked www1.mazdausa.com and clicked on "locate vehicle"? That's how I found mine.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

By the way, I was just thinking..Its your car man! You should be happy with what you drive. You should only spend money on something your want. I'd wait for an available 5 speed. I know $1000 is alot of money. However if the grand scheme, whether you pay $1000 over invoice or $2000 over invoice, it's only a mall portion of the total price of the car. Remember to include options when you're talking invoice. I wouldn't expect to get a fully loaded 6s for 1000 over invoice (19K invoice + 1K = 20-21K) You have to price out the options as well.

You're asking for a fairly exclusive vehicle too! Are you going to happy driving an "everybody has one" Accord?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Replying to Topic 'My Mazda 6s Quest is at a Crossroads'

I'm not looking for a fully loaded 5-speed manual model. Apparently, that's the problem. All I want on the car is the Sport Package and the Bose system. That's it. I don't want leather, or the moonroof, or the side airbags or any other option. That car invoices for just ovver $21,200, including the Destination Charge. I am willing to pay up to $22,000 for it. I won't pay $23,300 for it, which is the MSRP.

Maybe in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter to some people, but I have to live with the payments for 5 years. Plus I think $22,000 is a fair price for a car that invoices for $21, 265.

And DJSCIASCIA, if you have a 5-Speed with Sport Package and Bose that you are willling to sell for $22,000 even, then PM me and we'll get in touch.

·
Registered
126 Posts

MX6Victim, I was in an extremely similar situation. I knew what I could afford, and wanted the 6s with moonroof only in manual. The only one around was a custom order. I had negotiated a price for $500 over invoice on it, but it just was nowhere to be found. I had sold my old car to a private party already.

I didn't want Sport or Bose. I didn't want leather. I only wanted the base with moonroof. I opted to get the car and color I wanted in an AT. While I would have been happier with the MT, I rationalized that the AT would do two things: be easier for my wife to drive, and improve the resale value more than other packages, because in 9-10 years when I sell it, an AT will be easier to sell in my area. Most people here simply can't or won't drive a MT. Would I have been happier with a MT? Yes. Do I love my Mazda6? YES! The price ended up being nearly the same as the MT.

Good luck with your decision. I hope you get a car that makes you as happy as mine does.

BTW-don't count on getting much in trade for your vehicle in a year. You'll likely have negative equity in the car due to the loan, and have to make much larger payments. In that case, you're better off getting a loaded one now, in my opinion.

·
Registered
248 Posts

Originally posted by MX6Victim

And DJSCIASCIA, if you have a 5-Speed with Sport Package and Bose  that you are willling to sell for $22,000 even, then PM me and we'll get in touch.[/b]

I'll see what I can do....I don't have one is stock but I'll see who does.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Originally posted by DJSCIASCIA

What color did u want?[/b]
Color choices:
1. Black
2. Gray
3 Silver

·
Registered
248 Posts

I know u are on RI

Option Group: 1SE - SPORT PACKAGE • • CE1 - ULEV EMISSIONS EQUIPMENT • • 3RA - BOSE AUDIO PACKAGE
Port Installed Accessories: MRC - COMPASS/AUTODIM MIRROR • • WLK - WHEEL LOCKS
VIN No. : 1YVFP80D435M23012 • Ship date: 03-10-2003
MSRP: $23,395.00 • Invoice: $21,406.00
Color (Exterior/Interior): ONYX BLACK /BLACK
51567 - TASCA MAZDA 1300 PONTIAC AVENUE ; CRANSTON , RI 02920 (401) 681-1300

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I know u are on RI

Option Group: 1SE - SPORT PACKAGE • • CE1 - ULEV EMISSIONS EQUIPMENT • • 3RA - BOSE AUDIO PACKAGE  
Port Installed Accessories: MRC - COMPASS/AUTODIM MIRROR • • WLK - WHEEL LOCKS  
VIN No. : 1YVFP80D435M23012 • Ship date: 03-10-2003  
MSRP: $23,395.00 • Invoice: $21,406.00  
Color (Exterior/Interior): ONYX BLACK /BLACK  
51567 - TASCA MAZDA 1300 PONTIAC AVENUE ; CRANSTON , RI 02920 (401) 681-1300  [/b]
Yeah, that's the dealer who is being a jerk. I sorta got in the middle of a feud betwen a couple of dealers. One dealer agreed to sell me the car for $22,000, but the car wan't even on his lot! It was on the above dealer's lot.

The dealer I reached agreement with told me they wouldn't swap with them, so they couldn't sell it to me. I called above dealer and they said MSRP, no less. They would not budge from MSRP, so i said forget it. They said the other dealer was just trying to make them look bad, and that they would sell it for MSRP if it was on their lot yada yada yada.

Thanks for trying though.

·
Registered
248 Posts

I could get u one....but its the matter if u r willing to come to me to pick it up.

·
Registered
68 Posts

Couple of thoughts/opinions:

1) It is much cheaper to pay list price (or close to list price) now and drive the car for many years. If you buy something less than you really want and decide to trade it in next year it'll cost you WAY more than the $1000 you "don't want to spend" for the car right now. Trading in a car every year is just too damn expensive.

2) Even at list, the V6 with stick is a pretty good deal. A V6 Accord coupe with a stick costs more and is even harder to get.

3) Trade offs - you may be happy with an auto transmission ... only you can decide that one. When I discovered that my "wish list" Mazda6 couldn't even be custom built I decided to find one on a lot that was "close enough". Instead of agonizing over a "perfect" car I'm now enjoying a damn fine ride.

4) Are you a speed freak? Would you be happy with the manual trans. and the 4 cyl. engine? The 6i with a stick was my preference over the 6s but I couldn't find one with most of the options I wanted. The 6i has more than enough engine if you know how to drive a stick. The 6s has to be driven so slowly in traffic that it isn't as enjoyable (to me).

Generally the 6i with a stick is easier to find than the 6s.

Good luck with your search. It is a fine car.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I could get u one....but its the matter if u r willing to come to me to pick it up.[/b]
I've got family in NYC, so heading down there isn't a problem for me. I can make it a vist to family trip as well.

If you can get it, and sell it to me for $22,000, I can get to NYC whenever it's ready to be picked up.

·
Registered
248 Posts

This is the only car available in my area.....Powers that be want me to make at least 1k....so 22,555 would be the price....lemme know if agree so we can put together a deal.

Port Installed Accessories: CTO - CARGO TRAY AND ORGANIZER • • FLA - ALL-WEATHER FLOOR MATS • • MRC - COMPASS/AUTODIM MIRROR
VIN No. : 1YVFP80D535M13847 • Ship date: 01-06-2003
MSRP: $23,575.00 • Invoice: $21,555.00
Color (Exterior/Interior): GLACIER SILVER METALLIC /BLACK

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Thanks for the offer DJSCIASCIA. It was a fair offer given the extra equipment. But I found a Glaciar Silver Metallic near me for a good price. Already left a deposit.

More dealers should be like you... up front and honest. If dealers gave fair prices, consumers wouldn't even want to haggle. Thanks again for the advice guys. I read it all and gave it much thought. I'm glad I held out for the 5-Speed. Now I'm about to own one!

·
Registered
248 Posts

Originally posted by MX6Victim

Thanks for the offer DJSCIASCIA.  It was a fair offer given the extra equipment.  But I found a Glaciar Silver Metallic near me for a good price.  Already left a deposit.

More dealers should be like you... up front and honest.  If dealers gave fair prices, consumers wouldn't even want to haggle.  Thanks again for the advice guys.  I read it all and gave it much thought.  I'm glad I held out for the 5-Speed.  Now I'm about to own one![/b]

Good luck...I know u'll enjoy the car!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts