Mazda 6 Forums banner

my mazda 6 2016 review at 10k miles

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  tickerguy 
#1 ·
I've had my Touring 2016 Mazda 6 for about 9 months so far. Here is my take. Will try to be as objective as possible.

I was considering 2 other cars, the Nissan Altima and the Ford Fusion. I had rented a Nissan Altima for a trip from Houston to Alabama recently and the seats were the most comfortable I've ever sat in....they were awesome. But that's about all i liked about the car.

I test drove a Ford Fusion and also a coworker of mine has one which we've gone to lunch in. A very nice car. A very smooth ride as well and the seats are pretty comfortable. But my past car was a Civic and I wanted my next car to get as least as good a gas mileage as my Honda. Plus the Ford doesn't come with a spare tire which seems a trend these days among many car manufacturers.

Anyway, I've had my eye on the Mazda 6 for a long time but I tend to be someone that hangs on to cars for a long time. My civic was 12 when I decided it was time for a new car. The 6 is definitely a very sexy car. I test drove it 3 times before making my final decision. I went with the Touring so I could get the fake leather and rear A/C.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with the car. It's fun to drive, gets great gas mileage and looks great! The infotainment system is relatively easy to use and for a few hundred dollars with an sd card you can add navigation. I've also heard good things about Mazda's reliability so hopefully that will hold true as well for this car.

The car is rated for 26 road and 38 highway. I would say I get 27 or 28 around town depending on traffic of course. On the freeway, my best so far is 41! I've found the sweet spot for mpg is around 65 mph...anything above 70 doesn't fair too well. Doing 75 gets you around 30-31 mpg.

My only complaint so far are the seats. I think they are way too firm. I've found them to be very uncomfortable for sitting any longer than an hour. I've tried every combination and can't get too comfortable. I'll probably end up buying a cushion or something to sit on for long road trips. It's really a shame because it takes some of the fun out of driving. Of course comfort is pretty subjective and many may not find the seats to be an issue. But comparing the Ford and Nissan to the Mazda they both have much more comfy seats and I'm not sure why Mazda couldn't have invested a little more in that area.

The only other issue I've had is a creaking noise when going over speed bumps. I've seen a few posts regarding similar issues. This only happens when it's wet outside. The link below seems to describe the issue exactly. Sounds like it's a 'lower control arm bushing' that's getting wet. The link doesn't really say if this is good or bad? I guess it's not suppose to make a creaking noise when wet? I'm probably going to take it to the dealership to have them look at it but was wondering if anyone had an opinion? or has had a similar issue?

Creaking Noise from Front of Vehicle Over Bumps ? 2013-2016 Mazda | mazda.oemdtc.com

See less See more
#2 ·
I purchased a Touring manual in July. I'm coming from a few different Generation 7 (2003 -2007) Honda Accords EX-L manuals; I4 and V6. So far, with only 2500 miles on the clock I am find the Mazda6 gets better mileage (Averaging 34+ around town and freeway cruising at 75Mph) than the I4 5-speed Accord, is quieter, and a it is a lot more fun to drive.

#3 ·
Note that if you OVtune the engine you can manage 34-37 mpg with the cruise locked at 75. I have some 80k miles on my car and the fuel economy improvements at speeds >65mph have basically paid for the tune since ~3/4 of my mileage is highway.

Last 10 fills, 35.9mpg. The vast majority of that has been close to 10,000 highway miles.

Check it out... Mazda 6 Sport MT (Mazda 6) | Fuelly

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.