Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this normal for sixes? I've had people that, when I follow them, they mention my lights aren't as bright as the other cars on the road. My brights are fine, for me anyway. But my low beams, I can barely take it because the other cars lights are so overpowering. It's even worse when it's raining - it's almost too dangerous to drive with my low beams in a heavy rain.

So is this normal? What are my options? Is that what the 3 or $400 HID thing that comes up when I search for this problem is? Any cheaper options? I don't even know the first thing about headlights. That's why I'm posting in the newb section.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
The cheap option is to replace the stock bulbs. I recommend PIAA Extreme White. I've been running on that bulb since 2003 and it's still going. Brighter than stock but for some people, it's still not bright enough.

The more expensive option is to upgrade to HID. You see those upper class cars with the bluish bright headlight? That's HID.

You can browse around in the electrical section to see your options.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
i'll recommend PIAA as well. although i have the spark 8000k's which are they're brightest bulbs they make(according to a piaa rep). they're awesome and actually look like an 8000k HID bulb in color.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Its just the way the headlights are designed... they're projectors so they don't appear as bright to on coming cars. Even with hids they are bright, but to oncoming cars they still look like bright POINT sources not full sized lights beams like most cars.

I recall a long time ago their was a Consumer's Review or maybe it was Popular Mechanics, and the 6's headlights were rated the worse.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I would just convert to HID's. I know it maybe expensive, but it improves ur low beam lighting dramatically. I had the same problem, when my family rode in my car, they thought i didnt have my headlights on. But now after i got the HIDs. I can see much better and i like how bright and how far they shine and i also like the bluish color they give off. LOL. :laugh: But its all up to u. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
I don't know if your 6 is a 2006 or older one. I have an 06 and my headlights are about the best I've driven behind. On low beam w/the fog lights on, they provide lots of light without being too high in oncoming peoples' faces. On high beam, I've used them to light a basketball court at night. The light not only goes forward, but up in the air a little bit too. This is extremely helpful on a dark road esp if the signs above you are not lit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts