Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, my g/f's 2000 Mazda Millenia S had a check engine light come on this moring, is there anyway I can check the codes myself or am I going to have to take it in to the dealer? the car has about 40,000 mi. on it and gets regular maintinence check ups. Any help would be appreciated.

I was also trying to find a good site for Millenia S performance parts. I'm a dodge guy, but I think this blown Millenia is a beast that needs to be unleashed.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Replying to Topic 'My girlfreinds Mazda'

Is it flahing? Note the number of long ones and short ones, then call a Mazda mech shop and have them look it up 4 U!

·
Registered
319 Posts

Before you do ANYTHING, check the gas cap. On new cars with OBD II (which your millenia has); if the gas cap is not 100% tight, the engine senses this and the CEL comes on.

Just open the cap, then turn it until it clicks at least 2-3 times. Then restart the car. It may take more than 1 restart, but it is very likely it will go away. If you want to help some more, you could even add a gallon of gas or so, then click, and it should turn off.

Most of the time, the gas cap causes this problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

well the car went into the dealer before i read the post, oh well. and i was thinkin to myself maybe the gas cap isnt on tight??? a few months ago i got a locking cap for my dakota and it wouldnt unlock so when i finally got it off and left it off and it tripped the light, i'm able to check the codes on my truck by truning the key forward and backward 3 times and the code will pop up on digital odometer. but hopefully its not anyhting to serious.

I have a few other questions....

Does anyone know how much boost the s/c on her car makes? the pully looks awafully large, i would imagine its not more than 4lbs. and no BOV?

Anyone have a good site for Mazda parts? millenia specifically?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

The S/C is not quite like a normal one. It supports a Miller Cycle engine, so is operative during the intake phase. I believe it boosts about 6 psi, but I'm not sure. Anyway, the Miller Cycle boosts both power and efficiency.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

yes it is a fairly small engine. doesn't miller cycle make motorcycle engines? does anyone know what style of blower it is, it almost looks like a "roots" but not sure.

i also noticed that this car is extreemly weak of the line. whereas the dakota roasts both tires into second while fishtailing wickedly, with an auto tranny, hehehe. doesnt anyone know of any home tweaks, or websites who sells parts for this car? i would love to mod it.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Miller Cycle isn't a company, it's a descriptor for the way the engine works. Most modern gasoline engines use the Otto cycle, named for its inventor. The Miller Cycle is a refinement to the Otto Cycle created in the 1940s by - you guessed it, Miller. Diesel engines use the Diesel Cycle. If you want to learn more, go to

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question132.htm

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

alright i got the car back last night, turns out #3 was misfiring, just a plug.

does mazda has any kind of ignition retard on the cars? (i have blown many sets of head gaskets on my truck because of this) i would imagine they dont, i might be wrong though. i i have to run an MSD 6BTM digital ignion on my truck, because of spark/knock problems.

·
Registered
71 Posts

That same thing happened on my 2000 Millenia S last year, repaired under warranty; never happened again though. Just came back from San Diego, this car is so smooth at high speed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts