Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing the prototype pod utilizing the dashboard defroster vent, I thought of using this:

Simply bolt that to the vent, by putting a small piece of metal stock underneath the vent for the bolt to go through and "sandwich" to the vent. Then you can rotate and angle the cup to the proper viewing angle.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
826 Posts
Good thought. Only thing that I'd be concerned with is the disrupting of air flow to that corner in front vent mode. If it doesn't, then go for it. It doesn't require any fabrication work that needs to be down to the dash.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good thought. Only thing that I'd be concerned with is the disrupting of air flow to that corner in front vent mode. If it doesn't, then go for it. It doesn't require any fabrication work that needs to be down to the dash.
[/b]
Is that vent that critical for defrosting purposes? Also, do you think it will interfere with the curtain airbag located in the pillar?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
After seeing the prototype pod utilizing the dashboard defroster vent, I thought of using this:

Simply bolt that to the vent, by putting a small piece of metal stock underneath the vent for the bolt to go through and "sandwich" to the vent. Then you can rotate and angle the cup to the proper viewing angle.

Any thoughts?
[/b]
Looks like a good idea. Where can you get this pod?

Depending on how it looks if I used this idea I'd probably go further and fiberglass it in once the final position is determined. Again, as in earlier post, I'd prefer to offset the whole pod a bit inwards towards the instrument binnacle. Yes, it won't be in line with the edges of the vent, but I don't think it would look odd, and it would move the gauge closer to the center line of sight, and allow more space to play with, since it's further away from the corner and slope of the windshield.

Looking at the pod, how is the gauge secured in it? Usually there is a flange at the front that the edge of the gauge seats against, and which clips on the back of the gauge catch on.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Is that vent that critical for defrosting purposes? Also, do you think it will interfere with the curtain airbag located in the pillar?
[/b]
I'm not exactly sure. For the venting purposes, there are two of those on each end, then one long one across the very front. I don't think it will affect it that much, as long as the gauge pod doesn't cover the entire thing up, then air circulation will get you covered nicely. So go for it. As for the curtain airbag, I don't think it will mess with it, but you might wanna ask around.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
This idea is the same as bolting it to... anything in the car... the "vent" idea that the guy recently made was to provide a more "stock" look... If you plan on taking an easy way out and just bolting it on with some mockup stuff... its going to look exactly like.... how you did it lol....

I'd sugest you bolt that thing to the center of the guage pannel like everyone else has been doing... or...

If you want a vent/guage thing wait a bit... i think at least one person is looking into producing them for the general public...

·
Registered
700 Posts
you can get that pod from pep boys for 20 bucks. thats what i got, mines right on my steering colum.

·
Registered
998 Posts
This idea is the same as bolting it to... anything in the car... the "vent" idea that the guy recently made was to provide a more "stock" look... If you plan on taking an easy way out and just bolting it on with some mockup stuff... its going to look exactly like.... how you did it lol....

I'd sugest you bolt that thing to the center of the guage pannel like everyone else has been doing... or...

If you want a vent/guage thing wait a bit... i think at least one person is looking into producing them for the general public...
[/b]
Well put.

Sounds like a hack job :-(

Jason

1 - 9 of 9 Posts