Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i filled up my tank all the way today, i drove 58 miles for work (30 both ways) and my gas tank is down 1/4 , so 75% left ... i know SUV's and Trucks that get way better mileage, is this normal? maybe gas pump ? i dunno, im not flooring it . im driving at normal freeway pace, which usually is about 70mph.

·
Registered
748 Posts
i filled up my tank all the way today, i drove 58 miles for work (30 both ways) and my gas tank is down 1/4 , so 75% left ... i know SUV's and Trucks that get way better mileage, is this normal? maybe gas pump ? i dunno, im not flooring it . im driving at normal freeway pace, which usually is about 70mph.
[/b]
gas mileage for the 6 is not that great in general, the i trim is not so bad, but the s trim really sucks, but your situation sounds a bit high, cars tend to get better mileage on the highway. do you have an ATX or MTX? how old is your car? i or s?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Small things like air pressure, dirty air filters, dirt oil etc. can lead to bad mileage but there is no way your mileage sould be that bad even if you drove like Speed Racer.

Someone was once stealing gas at a place where I once lived. That may not be the case here but you have a problem. That is not normal at all.

·
0 Posts

[/b]
In my '03 6s ATX, the 1st 1/4 of the guage goes pretty quickly, but the last 1/4 is slower so you make it up at the other end, so to speak.

·
Registered
578 Posts
You can't judge mileage on 1/4 tank of gas. And definitely not by using the inaccurate gas gauge. My car gets 240 miles on the first half tank, but only ~100 more on the second half. :headscrat:

Studies have shown that tire pressure and air filter condition have little affect on over-all gas mileage. The difference is 1-2 mpg, or less. There have been some recent indepth discussions on this topic. Good reading for anyone who has the time.

A good way to determine mileage is driving until the warning light goes on and then filling up. Use the number of gallons to fill the tank and the miles traveled on the ODO to determine miles per gallon.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Yours is pretty 'd up, lol j/k. But seriously, 240 for the first half than about 100 for the second? That is a little wierd.

I average 18mpg in my 2003 Mazda6 V6.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Yours is pretty 'd up, lol j/k. But seriously, 240 for the first half than about 100 for the second? That is a little wierd.

[/b]
It has to do with the shape of the gas tank and where the sensor sits inside. I experience the same thing, Lots of miles on the top half, then it goes quickly once I'm on the bottom side.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ive got a 4cylinder ATX (2006) , all ive done to it is the airbox mod, but even before that, my gas mileage has been shitty, i took it to the dealer, the "certified mazda associate" told me the car isnt very efficient to begin with and that i should expect the bad MPG, he referenced to a accord or camry being more efficient only for the reason that this mazda6i has more power so it burns more, but nonetheless, its terrible gas mileage & im going to demand they replace the gas pump even if they think or know its not the issue, i got 7 year warranty & i gotta take full advantage of it, i use 87 gas, never have changed it to anything higher since thats what the manual recommends, sometimes i have my TCS off for little better reponse, & i use the tiptronic function a lot as well, it may contribute to the bad MPG, not sure. my first half goes about 230 and afterwards its about 120 or so, the highest ive gotten it was 450, thats when i just got, ive had it for 7 months now and after the 3rd month i started noticing the shittier gas mileage, apparently cars get more efficient in the longrun this one definetly aint. ill update u guys once i have these leeches change my gas pump. peace.

·
Registered
531 Posts
You can't judge mileage on 1/4 tank of gas. And definitely not by using the inaccurate gas gauge. My car gets 240 miles on the first half tank, but only ~100 more on the second half. :headscrat:

Studies have shown that tire pressure and air filter condition have little affect on over-all gas mileage. The difference is 1-2 mpg, or less. There have been some recent indepth discussions on this topic. Good reading for anyone who has the time.

A good way to determine mileage is driving until the warning light goes on and then filling up. Use the number of gallons to fill the tank and the miles traveled on the ODO to determine miles per gallon.
[/b]
I've noticed pretty much the same thing with mine. The second half always seems to last longer. The gas guage is definately not very accurate all the way through. I average 17mpg in the city and have seen as much as 28 or so on the highway (6s auto). I heard slow take-offs help but I could never verify that as I tend to step on it at lights.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Ive got a 4cylinder ATX (2006)... im going to demand they replace the gas pump even if they think or know its not the issue...ive gotten it was 450, thats when i just got[/b]
The fuel pump has nothing to do with poor gas mileage. Your dealer won't replace it just because you "demand" it (that is, unless you want to pay for it).

It's far more likely that your driving habits, vehicle mainenance, or the newer gasoline blends are contributing to lower fuel economy. Also, warmer fuel is less dense than cooler fuel, so ambient temperatures can affect fuel economy too. (A gallon of warm gasoline has less energy in it than a gallon of cool gasoline.) Have you been using A/C more often? When was the last time you checked your tire pressure? Have you checked the condition of your air filter? (You mentioned the air-box mod.) Have you always refueled at the same service station? You might try disconnecting your battery for a few minutes to clear the PCM and force it to relearn the fuel trims.

Calculate your actual fuel economy by resetting your odometer between fill-ups, then dividing the miles driven by the gallons of gas you put in the tank. (Always fill until the pump shuts off.)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just filled up my tank(2nd time) on my new 4 cyl 6i auto. I was able to get about 405 miles before the light came on. It was mainly city driving and I've been driving quite conservatively(breaking in).I guess if I had really pushed it like Kramer I may be able to get away with 450..
so 450/18.5 = around 24 miles/gal.
Not the best but could be alot worst like my old lady's bank breaking gas guzzler SUV :tear:

·
Registered
823 Posts
I believe for the break in period, it has been mentioned that it is better to not drive "conservatively" as you mention, and to bounce it around the RPM range. There have been several posts on it, searching should yield beneficial results.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
16 Participants
DSimmon
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing