Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to an untimed open track event at the Milwaukee Mile. It was sponsored by the Northwoods Shelby Club. There were 5 groups, group 1 fastest, group 5 slowest. I was in group 5. I got to run 6 sessions, 15 minutes each.

My only concern going in was that I'd rely on the speedometer to gauge how fast to go and not let the car tell me how fast to go. I was wrong. I hardly looked at the speedo and watched the tach when necessary. Of course, I was banging that rev limiter like a madman. :D

I had such a good time. For anyone considering taking their 6 to a track, DO IT!!!
You don't have to be the fastest on the track. I got passed by a few cars and passed a couple cars myself. The main thing is to have fun. :drive:

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I will be going to a Redline Track Event this weekend, I am taking the Speed Protege and the wife's 5 door. These events are fun and you can learn alot about yourself and your car(s). I know that we'll be getting as much track time as possible.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Can't wait to do my first road course in the Speed. :)
[/b]
takin' the speed6 to buttonwillow next weekend, holla holla!!

it's gonna be a BLAST!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

it's gonna be a BLAST!!
[/b]

A Speed6 on the track?!! Damn you! I am sooo jealous. :drool:

·
Registered
490 Posts

it's gonna be a BLAST!!
[/b]
Laguna, Sears Point and Buttonwillow are the ONLY things I miss about being on the 395. Texas MSW does not do these events and I am not going to join an elitest group just to get track time. So. OKLa has the closest track and it is only 2 times per year.
I used to run SIR, Vancouver , PIR and in between monthly with trips south every few. NOW I am in the midst of " turn left, turn left, turn left". And go straight all you want also. Road tracks just aren't in the works. EVEN though TMS has a great infield. ;)

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Wow, i am so jelous. The best i could do was midacross america, i think in my area and their open track days are almost 200 a driver...

Sigh, wish there was something more affordable near by. What does the "normal" day at the track cost?

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
On the east coast, a 2 day track event usually costs between 350 and 400 dollars. (8 sessions of 25 minutes each with an instructor + parade laps). The last sessions are usually longer, as a bunch of people have usually left by that point.

Then you have to factor in the amount of gas you use. (You'll need to fillup each day), and factor in the price of 89 octane for standard 6, and 94 for an mps 6 (or some gallons of 100 if you can afford it).

Though generally you wouldn't run 89 in a standard 6i/6s...when you are sitting at redline for nearly 4 hours, its nice to have a little bit extra anti-detonation. :)

I'd also factor into the equation...

1) Track pads (XP10 carbotech's)*
2) Proper brake fluid
http://www.liteswap.com/Merchant2/merchant...Code=brakefluid
3) Summer tire compounds (Only use all-seasons if you like to slide around, or you are willing to replace the tires at the end of the track session)
4) Synthetic engine and transmission fluid.

I watched fugi try his toyo proxy4's on for a few laps at vir...holy crap those things probably used up 50% of their lifespan in 6 laps. Not to mention they greased up something fierce (understeer spectacular). Then of course he cheated and put on some R comps and pwn3d.

You don't "need" to have track pads...but when you are heading down the straight at 120, and you see those numbers start flying by, you'll be happy at mr no fade and its incredible stopping grip.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
er, dang.. maybe ill wait until i get some more dough in my pockets. that a CPE mafci every 3rd day at the track :).

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Business,

If you ask some people on this forum...they'll say the stock rotors can't even handle stock pads for more then 10k miles...

You can always pay 50 dollars more when you order the XP10's and get a fresh set of Front rotors with them. Considering how cheap that is, I'd rather be happy to stop from 120-40 repeatedly, then worry about whether or not I'm going to prematurely wear 25 dollar rotors.

The track is hard on car's. I wouldn't even suggest going there unless you are willing to pony up the extra money to maintain your car. Synthetic everything, proper fluids, track pads, decent tires. Also gotta bang up the maintaince intervals pretty seriously...inspect all your components, check torques on suspension, etc etc. Last thing you want is some bolt to pop off when your in an 80 mph turn at 99% of the car's grip level.

Freakta,
I'm running 245/45/16 Hankook Ventus R212's on 15lb 16x8's. I am still learning, so I'm sticking to aggressive street tires, instead of moving onto cheater R-comps. I haven't yet run the hankooks on the track yet, just T1-S's and T1-R's (T1-R's sucked). I'll have feedback on the hankook track performance come june.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Business,

If you ask some people on this forum...they'll say the stock rotors can't even handle stock pads for more then 10k miles...

You can always pay 50 dollars more when you order the XP10's and get a fresh set of Front rotors with them. Considering how cheap that is, I'd rather be happy to stop from 120-40 repeatedly, then worry about whether or not I'm going to prematurely wear 25 dollar rotors.

The track is hard on car's. I wouldn't even suggest going there unless you are willing to pony up the extra money to maintain your car. Synthetic everything, proper fluids, track pads, decent tires. Also gotta bang up the maintaince intervals pretty seriously...inspect all your components, check torques on suspension, etc etc. Last thing you want is some bolt to pop off when your in an 80 mph turn at 99% of the car's grip level.

Freakta,
I'm running 245/45/16 Hankook Ventus R212's on 15lb 16x8's. I am still learning, so I'm sticking to aggressive street tires, instead of moving onto cheater R-comps. I haven't yet run the hankooks on the track yet, just T1-S's and T1-R's (T1-R's sucked). I'll have feedback on the hankook track performance come june.
[/b]

Crossbow is right, I changed the rotors and pads on my 6's and the Speed Protege when I took them to the track this weekend! All of our cars have Redline MT-90, Castol Syntech and changed the brake fluid as well.

We had 5 runs of 30-35 minutes and the hard braking and the demands on the tires, transmission is incredible! We retorqued the tires after every run, checked brake lines, hoses, clamps, etc, made sure we had no leaks and all of our fluids as well.

It was amazing, there was an 03 NSX that blew a radiator hose and left fluid everywhere and also a S2000 that blew a line to his oil cooler and lost every bit of oil! I would advise that you have additional fluids, tools, jack, jackstands too.

·
Registered
375 Posts
i want to (for fun) run my car at a track but after reading your posts and seeing whazt kind of ( very sticky) tires you have i might just forget about it.

i thought these things were a bit more track ready than they are, people talk very highly of these cars. o hell maybee ill try it anyways

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
We retorqued the tires after every run, checked brake lines, hoses, clamps, etc, made sure we had no leaks and all of our fluids as well.[/b]
Make sure to only retorque the wheels after they've cooled. Torque hot lugs will expodentially increase the torque rating when they finally cool, causing them to literarly sheer right off. (This actually happened to one 6 owner).

Always make sure you check torque when the wheels are cool. (I'm sure you did this, just mentioning for others benefit).

Also remember to park in gear, and don't use the parking brake!!! (Otherwise you can glaze the rear pads).

Freakta,

You "could" just go to the track without investing in anything...but you'd most likely need to replace your tires after the 2day track session...they'd be chunked and nearly destroyed if you were running all-seasons. Bare minimum, you should still do brake fluid, and at least street brake pads.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Make sure to only retorque the wheels after they've cooled. Torque hot lugs will expodentially increase the torque rating when they finally cool, causing them to literarly sheer right off. (This actually happened to one 6 owner).

Always make sure you check torque when the wheels are cool. (I'm sure you did this, just mentioning for others benefit).

Also remember to park in gear, and don't use the parking brake!!! (Otherwise you can glaze the rear pads).

Freakta,

You "could" just go to the track without investing in anything...but you'd most likely need to replace your tires after the 2day track session...they'd be chunked and nearly destroyed if you were running all-seasons. Bare minimum, you should still do brake fluid, and at least street brake pads.
[/b]
Thanks, for getting the rest of the info out there Crossbow! Hopefully we can get more people into getting their cars onto some road courses.

·
Registered
375 Posts
would 114.5 x5 fit with the same offset?

thats what my transam has on it. they are alot wider
and i have eagle f1 gsd3's on them
very very good tire. not even comparable on the same level as the stock whatever that came on my 6

im gonna gotry it out at home right now, ill tell you if they fit... its gonna be close no matter what

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
About this Discussion
29 Replies
12 Participants
sixthsense
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing