Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys as you know I got my MS6 last tuesday and have had it for a week now. I love this car, its amazing. I already have 800 miles on it. Anyways i recently notice something going on with my car. While driving my car home from a friends house i came to a red light. I had the car in neutral and was completely stopped. I realized that the car was idling at around 900 rpms (which is pretty much standard). All of a sudden the Rpm started to drop a little (around to 750-600 rpms) and the car start vibrating a little bit. It was definately noticeable but not that crucial. Has this happened to anyone before?? What could this be?? I will be taken my car in for an oil change on Saturday to the dealership so I will be having them take a look at it then.

Is this something i should be worried about? someone please let me know!!

Thanks,

Orlando

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Hey guys as you know I got my MS6 last tuesday and have had it for a week now. I love this car, its amazing. I already have 800 miles on it. Anyways i recently notice something going on with my car. While driving my car home from a friends house i came to a red light. I had the car in neutral and was completely stopped. I realized that the car was idling at around 900 rpms (which is pretty much standard). All of a sudden the Rpm started to drop a little (around to 750-600 rpms) and the car start vibrating a little bit. It was definately noticeable but not that crucial. Has this happened to anyone before?? What could this be?? I will be taken my car in for an oil change on Saturday to the dealership so I will be having them take a look at it then.

Is this something i should be worried about? someone please let me know!!

Thanks,

Orlando[/b]

if the dealer cant duplicate it, then they will simply say they cant duplicate it. you should let them know that it was a concern of your so atleast its in the history on the car. then if it happens more you can be like listen this is the 2-3 whatever time i have been in for this problem. mine usually idles around 800-900 and i havent noticed any idle rpm dip, vibration i would be able to say as i have the awr poly mount. i personally wouldnt worry much, unless of course it starts more and more frequently

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This has started happen a little more and more. I hoping that when i take it in on Saturday i will be able to show them. thank you for the fast reply though.

Thanks,

Orlando

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
This has started happen a little more and more. I hoping that when i take it in on Saturday i will be able to show them. thank you for the fast reply though.
Thanks,

Orlando[/b]
Does it happen for a few seconds, stop for a while, then repeat again, on a regular basis? If so, you may be experiencing the on-off cycling of the AC (air conditioning) compressor. If the HVAC controls are in floor mode, defrost mode or main defrost mode the AC will cycle on and off and you will see a slight RPM drop when the AC compressor cuts in. This is normal. It's especially noticeable in my car when I'm stopped at a light, because of my custom exhaust. The exhaust tone deepens a lot as the AC compressor cuts in because of the slight load on the engine.

The only mode that seems to not engage the AC compressor is when the HVAC air distribution control is set to dash and floor flow, auto climate control off, and AC switch off.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Does it happen for a few seconds, stop for a while, then repeat again, on a regular basis? If so, you may be experiencing the on-off cycling of the AC (air conditioning) compressor. If the HVAC controls are in floor mode, defrost mode or main defrost mode the AC will cycle on and off and you will see a slight RPM drop when the AC compressor cuts in. This is normal. It's especially noticeable in my car when I'm stopped at a light, because of my custom exhaust. The exhaust tone deepens a lot as the AC compressor cuts in because of the slight load on the engine.

The only mode that seems to not engage the AC compressor is when the HVAC air distribution control is set to dash and floor flow, auto climate control off, and AC switch off.[/b]

yeah good call on that super car.

best way to test it is to totally turn off all hvac. see if it still happens. even though i dont think mine drops that much rpm when it kicks in

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
idling at 750 rpm or less is standard for me after about 15 minutes of driving.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
you don't need an oil change at 800 miles....Change it at 1000 miles, and make sure that they don't put synthetic oil in it. Untill 3000 miles.

It's the AC, i had similar issues

·
Registered
320 Posts
you don't need an oil change at 800 miles....Change it at 1000 miles, and make sure that they don't put synthetic oil in it. Untill 3000 miles.

It's the AC, i had similar issues[/b]
What do you mean by ''had''. Did you get it fix? Raising the idle maybe?

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
I just tap the throttle a tad...it doesn't really bother me.

·
Registered
197 Posts
you don't need an oil change at 800 miles....Change it at 1000 miles, and make sure that they don't put synthetic oil in it. Untill 3000 miles.[/b]
??????????????????
no synthetic????

why is that??????

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Waiting until 3k for synthetic is a myth.......

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well my car officially Idles at between 800-900 Rpms. Thats reading is at normal engine temperature. As far as a/c .... its cold outside, since the fact its winter I leave my heat on. I set it to Auto and leave it around 75-78F. (would that active the fan??) This only seems to happen when I come to a Redlight and I am sitting there for a while and I notice the Rpms kinda drop to 600-700 back and forth back and forth along with a little vibration from the car. (like its shaking). The Rpm drop doesn't really bother me its the fact that the car is vibrating!!

It seems weird. I drove the car today and didn't really notice it happening. Ill keep monitoring it for the next couple of days to see what happens.

Thanks,

Orlando

·
Registered
320 Posts
Well my car officially Idles at between 800-900 Rpms. Thats reading is at normal engine temperature. As far as a/c .... its cold outside, since the fact its winter I leave my heat on. I set it to Auto and leave it around 75-78F. (would that active the fan??) This only seems to happen when I come to a Redlight and I am sitting there for a while and I notice the Rpms kinda drop to 600-700 back and forth back and forth along with a little vibration from the car. (like its shaking). The Rpm drop doesn't really bother me its the fact that the car is vibrating!!

It seems weird. I drove the car today and didn't really notice it happening. Ill keep monitoring it for the next couple of days to see what happens.

Thanks,

Orlando[/b]

Yep, A/C kicking in...

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
but why would it be kicking in can someone explain that?? Its like 26 degrees F out side. noo need for a/c..

Thanks,

Orlando

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
but why would it be kicking in can someone explain that?? Its like 26 degrees F out side. noo need for a/c..

Thanks,

Orlando[/b]
This is pretty standard in most cars nowadays. The AC also dehumidifies the air. Cars (like homes) are getting better sealed up, so moisture can build up fast and fog the windows up. In cold temps it's programmed to still kick in for short periods to do this dehumidifying, even if the temp outside is cool and you'd think AC would never be needed. The vibration you're feeling, if it is the AC kicking in and out, is the additional load on the engine by the compressor, and the vibrations caused by the compressor itself. If you're still concerned about it have your dealer check it out.

If you hit the front defrost button, the AC will definitely kick in. By dehumidifying the air it defogs the inside of the front windshield much faster.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok thanks alot for the deatailed explaination, that put my worries to ease!

Thanks again,

Orlando

·
Registered
329 Posts
My MS6 idle drops down to 700 - 750 and there is a noticable vibration. It is annoying because the vibration sometimes causes my cat-back to rattle against the exhaust trim in the bumper.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This sounds like a problem some of us have. The idle drops as the motor warms up and probably has superior clean air characteristics. However some cars have a problem in tip in when the idle is low, the engine hesitates instead of picking up immediately and unless you instantly push the clutch back out it stalls leaving you stuck in the intersection with discusted drivers behind you. The manual says the idle cannot be adjusted but in another section says it increases 150 rpm when the AC switch is turned ON. Apparently that's the minimum low value that is increased. My driveability is much better and I haven't had a stall since I started using the AC on all times. It just acts as a dehumidifier in the winter. I've been told that the compressor is always activated though and it may decrease the mileage. Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts