Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well for awhile now I've been having a small problem. After a mild acceleration and coming to a complete stop I would get a noticable THUD coming from the rear passenger side area. After driving with it for sometime I brought the car in for an oil change and had the tech look at it. He couldn't reproduce the sound (typical-car drives perfect for the tech) so I said ok. But he thought the sound might have been coming from the front pads since they were moving around a bit and replaced them under warranty and I went on my merry way. Well after about 2 weeks the noise came back, and pretty bad. I finally got around to bringing the car back for another oil change and to have the tech look at the car again for the THUD. This time he re-produced the sound and was able to start looking at somethings.

So far: they said that one bushing on the driver's side around the diff is much looser then the passenger side. And I just got a phone call from them saying that they just order a new drive shaft for me to hopefully get rid of this sound. The service manager and techs have been absolutly great with this. He has even replaced some other minor things under warranty for me while they had everything apart.

But I wanted to know if anyone else has had any problems similar to this and if anything was done to correct the problem. Now I get to play the waiting game for my new driveshaft to come in and be installed.

ßill

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Well for awhile now I've been having a small problem. After a mild acceleration and coming to a complete stop I would get a noticable THUD coming from the rear passenger side area. After driving with it for sometime I brought the car in for an oil change and had the tech look at it. He couldn't reproduce the sound (typical-car drives perfect for the tech) so I said ok. But he thought the sound might have been coming from the front pads since they were moving around a bit and replaced them under warranty and I went on my merry way. Well after about 2 weeks the noise came back, and pretty bad. I finally got around to bringing the car back for another oil change and to have the tech look at the car again for the THUD. This time he re-produced the sound and was able to start looking at somethings.

So far: they said that one bushing on the driver's side around the diff is much looser then the passenger side. And I just got a phone call from them saying that they just order a new drive shaft for me to hopefully get rid of this sound. The service manager and techs have been absolutly great with this. He has even replaced some other minor things under warranty for me while they had everything apart.

But I wanted to know if anyone else has had any problems similar to this and if anything was done to correct the problem. Now I get to play the waiting game for my new driveshaft to come in and be installed.
ßill
[/b]
You changed your oil after 2 weeks?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You changed your oil after 2 weeks?
[/b]
no....the noise came back after 2 weeks. And I finally got around to bringing the car back in for its next oil change just today.

ßill

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Smithtown Mazda...Lou is the service manager. Tell him Bill (w/the black Speed6) sent you over. He will take care of you.

ßill

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
But I wanted to know if anyone else has had any problems similar to this and if anything was done to correct the problem.
[/b]
My car has developed a consistant clunking noise DURING acceleration. The service department has spoken with Mazda about the issue, but no cause (and therefore no solution) has been identified yet:
http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=65709

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll try to keep up with the updates that Mazda does on the car with as many pics as I can get. I've given them the updates on the new diff. bracet, so we'll see if this new drive shaft does the fix.

ßill

·
Registered
213 Posts
Grim6 &jd42 i know the wierd engagement your reffering to kind of like a clunk (followed maybe by a sound of rocks in a cup) as if the rear wheels are engaging in a wrong way kind of a sudden thing... you both are in the beginning stages of an axle/rear diff mount breakage I know because mine is on its 5TH breakage Please post here with the required information when you get the repair done.. Broken Axle Thread

·
Registered
99 Posts
How many miles on the car? I still have less then 1000 on mine so keeping fingers crossed this doesn't happen.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mine has about 9500. But has been apparent since about 3000 miles.

ßill

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well...got my entire driveshaft and everything that came with it replaced under warranty. And this did NOT fix my problem. I'll mention to the service manager about the rear diff. problems. This is getting a bit crazy now...but at least my service department is really working with me on this. No problems from them about any of this. So a +1 for my service department! I'll keep everyone updated...

ßill

·
Registered
70 Posts
well...got my entire driveshaft and everything that came with it replaced under warranty. And this did NOT fix my problem. I'll mention to the service manager about the rear diff. problems. This is getting a bit crazy now...but at least my service department is really working with me on this. No problems from them about any of this. So a +1 for my service department! I'll keep everyone updated...
ßill[/b]
Sorry to hear it didn't fix your problem, but at least they're not hassling you about anything.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
yeah i guess this sound is getting common. its all over the forum.

What dealership are you using -- i am from LI and the great neck one has been a pain[/b]
if your getting sick of gn mazda the closest one near you is all star mazda in hempstead. alot smaller ans easier to work with.

·
Registered
309 Posts
It's funny 'cuz you guys mentioned Mazda of Great Neck. One of the worst dealers I've ever been too. However, I kinda have to play nice as I work right across the street and having a mazda dealer to drop off the car too would make life alot easier.

But the 2 times I've been there, they seem staffed with lazy incompetent morons who wouldn't know a Miata from a 3. Hell, when I was buying the Mazdaspeed 2 weeks ago, and great neck was my first stop - no one would actually sell us the car. My dad went and told me all the salesman kept talking about was rather not to buy the car, but to check his insurance first (My dad told him "Check what? This isn't a freaking Mustang").

Lookslikeasieve - Where did you get your custom exhaust? Could you recommend a place in NYC? Thanks.

·
Registered
300 Posts

ßill[/b]
THIS IS EXACTLY THE SOUND THAT I HEARD BEFORE MY MOTOR BLEW. This is the entire reason i'm fighting it out with mazda right now. I got that exact thud noise. So i called my dealer to get it checked out. My motor actually blew while I was on my way to the dealer to get it checked out. PLEASE can you give me a copy of all documentation you have relating to this thud noise. I really could use it to help my fight with mazda. This was a major issue for me because every time I would shift or come to a stop i would get that thud sound almost like something was knocking.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry to hear of your problems.

Probably nothing related but worth checking :-

I had loud clunking/knocking noises from my car when it was about a year old, but seemed to be coming from the wheels because the rhythm of the knocking was affected by speed and turning. It turned out that the small lead balancing weights located on the inside edge of the wheel were catching on the brakes.

Hope you get it sorted.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
THIS IS EXACTLY THE SOUND THAT I HEARD BEFORE MY MOTOR BLEW. This is the entire reason i'm fighting it out with mazda right now. I got that exact thud noise. So i called my dealer to get it checked out. My motor actually blew while I was on my way to the dealer to get it checked out. PLEASE can you give me a copy of all documentation you have relating to this thud noise. I really could use it to help my fight with mazda. This was a major issue for me because every time I would shift or come to a stop i would get that thud sound almost like something was knocking.[/b]
what kind of documentation are you looking for? I don't have anything that says its fixed, b/c well it isn't....yet. So I'm not too sure what you are looking for. But lmk and I'll try to help you out as much as possible.

ßill

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well....car is back at Mazda for the week while I'm away. :( At least she will be in the garage being kept warm while they try to diagnose it......again. Updates as they come into me...

and seoulful, do you still need anything? PM me and lmk if you still need something

ßill

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sounds like a hell of a problem...whenever i owned my rx-8 i would hit bumps with the driver's front tire and hear a rattling noise and after a year of Mazda saying nothing's wrong with it...i trade it in and find out the upper bolt for the driver side control arm had wiggled loose.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
this isn't about a mazda, but i had a 2002 mercury cougar that when i hit bumps it would make a loud clunk and it turned out a bolt from the sway bar broke and they told me it wasn't fit to drive until they replaced it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts