Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Warning: The following must be taken with a least a couple grains of salt since my upcoming 6 purchase will be my first new car.

The first time I saw a 6 was on TV and I thought "Hmmm, that's a nice looking car, and it's only ~20k." Little did I know then that I'd be on my way to getting one now. I've read this board for a little bit and researched, looked at pictures, etc and generally got very excited about the prospect of buying one--but I'd never actually seen one up close until today. Well, I went to the dealership with the mindset that I'd be getting a 6s w/ the sport and bose packages. Unfortunatly, they didn't have any manual 6s's (it doesn't seem any place around here does) so I opted to drive a fully loaded (26k+ price tag) automatc V6. Summary: Wow. Now, granted, I'm driving as base a model 97 Neon as you could possibly find, but Wow. The V6 is such a step up from my lacking 130HP and it's sooo smooth and quiet. And the interior is very very nice w/ the heated leather seats and moonroof. But now I'm in a quandary: do I get (or, rather, order) the 6s w/ only the Sports and Bose packages (can't afford much more) and wait 6-8 weeks, or a fully loaded 6i for about the same price. I've yet to drive the "i," but I'm leaning toward it at the moment. But the V6 was so very nice. What would you do?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Reading Topic: My first encounter with a 6

Ah the freedom of choice :p Here in Australia, we only have the 2.3l 4cyl engine ;)

I'm very happy with the performance of the 4cyl engine - it's got some decent pull. The only disappointment is the low end torque (0->2500 rpm is a bit slow). However, I'm sure if you were getting a manual, the easy way to deal with low-end power is take it up to 2500 then let out the clutch, whee!

I don't think there's any way use activematic drivers can launch the car tho, so I'm stuck with the initial second of off-the-line being a bit crap. Your best bet is to test drive the 6i as well and then decide on that. If you're a real speed freak you could always get the 6i then throw the upcoming turbo onto it... but either one will perform better than the neon :)

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Welcome aboard!

Drive the i. It is extremely well balanced. It may be just fine for you. Or, you may drive it and decide you want the extra torque of the s.

Plenty of people on this board own the 4 cylinder version, and are extremely happy. Of course, you may want to weigh the extra options as well - how important is ACC, etc.

Drive them both. That will help put your priorities in order.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Yeah, i guess the common sense thing would be to drive both and see which one I like more. And I guess I shouldn't complain since the v6 is avail. here. The SRT may be fast, but it's still a Neon. :)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

Personally the I4 was never even an option for me, torque is more important to me than almost anything else about the car. I chose the 6 over the Maxima, because I just couldn't get over how ugly the taillights on the Maxima are....not because of torque.

Its kinda already been said...you've got to decide what you like the most and purchase accordingly. The base 6 without the S trim looks like an almost entirely different car, probably would be driving a Maxima right now if Mazda didn't offer the S trim.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks all, for the responses but I think my "dilemma" is solved: S-plan!!! That's right, my good friend's uncle works at the ford plant and is hooking me up with the 'plan, so it looks like I can get everything I want after all. I haven't been in this good a mood before 7:00am in a LOOONG time :) Tell you what, for the money, I can't seem to find a better car. It's the best looking, best equipped for the price.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Replying to Topic 'My first encounter with a 6'

Originally posted by mxtheory

Yeah, i guess the common sense thing would be to drive both and see which one I like more.  And I guess I shouldn't complain since the v6 is avail. here.  The SRT may be fast, but it's still a Neon.  :)[/b]
Its still a neon? What is that supposed to mean?

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

A small plastic car? ;)

I think it's cool actually. But then we don't have many Neons in Sweden...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I don't know, I guess I just have a jaded opinion of Neons. Don't get me wrong, they're not bad cars, and the SRT may be fast as hell for the price (and otherwise); but...well, I guess it's like having a hooked up Hyundai. My neighbors across the street have hooked up theirs. No matter how much they do to them, or how fast they can get them to go, they're still Hyundai's. Granted, the Neon is def. a few steps up from that, but I still feel the same way. Perhaps my opinion will change if I get to drive one of the SRTs.

·
Registered
67 Posts

I've yet to drive the "i,"  but I'm leaning toward it at the moment.  But the V6 was so very nice.  What would you do?[/b]
I haven't driven an "i" either, but I have driven the "s", both manual and automatic. My advice: Order the V-6 manual. You'll be glad you did, and it'll be worth the wait.

·
Registered
67 Posts

Thanks all, for the responses but I think my "dilemma" is solved:  S-plan!!!  [/b]
Stupid question perhaps... but what is the S-plan? :) And do you have to know someone at Ford or Mazda to get hooked up with that?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Reading Topic: My fi

Damn, I thought this thing was dead! But you're right, I should get a 6s with everything...wait, that's what I did too. Now it's just a waiting game 3-4 weeks.

·
Registered
611 Posts

Originally posted by mxtheory                Damn, I thought this thing was dead!  But you're right, I should get a 6s with everything...wait, that's what I did too.  Now it's just a waiting game 3-4 weeks.[/b]
6-8 here :(

I just keep trying to convince myself there is no car and I'm not really looking forward to something new.

.... like that's working.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Well, the thing is, I was told 6-8 which has now turned into 10-12. But then, this does not seem to be all that uncommon.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Originally posted by future6owner

Thanks all, for the responses but I think my "dilemma" is solved:  S-plan!!!  [/b]
Stupid question perhaps... but what is the S-plan? :) And do you have to know someone at Ford or Mazda to get hooked up with that?[/b][/quote]

The S-plan is exactly that - a deal for employees or family of employees. There are a few threads about it in here if you do the search-thingie! :)

·
Registered
1,871 Posts

Well, the thing is, I was told 6-8 which has now turned into 10-12.  But then, this does not seem to be all that uncommon.[/b]
Mine went from 8-10 to about 16.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts