Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

EDIT: Pics added after 1 day of driving. Taken with Sony Digital camera. Sorry if the quality isnt up to everyones standards. Deal with it! :nana:

Alright, So after buying my car used. And getting tired of all the swirl marks and lack of a decent wax job. I finally did a complete wash and wax.

Total Time.. 2 hours. *edit* Yes im fast! :drive:

1. Clean your rims, tires and wheel wells. Why is this number 1? Well cleaning rims and tires is a pain in the ass. If you do a lousy job, and you get your car all shiny and clean, only to find your rims look like hell. You don't want to get your car wet again.. or go through the pain of keeping things neat. I guess this could be in the area of WASHING. But honestly, i always neglect them until I'm done washing my car. When you get your car body looking perfect. You realize your lazy job on the wheels makes your entire effort look lacking. But do as you wish :nana:

2.. RINSE/Wash - Gotta get all the debris off of your car even before you wash it. Even washing a car, can scratch a car if it has sand or other abrasive material on it. In my case, i just used armor all car wash after rinsing my car off thoroughly. You could also use Dawn Dish Soap, it will take off all your wax, and you can get both step 2&3 at the same time. The next step is merely an option.. many detail shops actually give your car an acid bath as an exspensive option, you can do it yourself for 3$!

3. Acid Bath - Here is the optional step, if you want to strip that wax off quick, and remove any other contaminents that might be on your cars clear coat. lol, don't be scared, Vinegar is a very weak acid. Distilled White Vinegar to be exact. You might want to use gloves, cus vinegar doesn't smell very nice and you don't really want it on your bare skin. Harmless but annoying. Simply use a sponge, and rub it onto your car. It doenst have to be perfect. Do it quick, make sure to hit every square inch of your cars paint. Let it sit 30-60 seconds and rinse as you go.

4. Rinse/Wash - Its probably best to wash your car again. Up next is the clay bar, and that sucker picks up everything! Any bits of sand or other grime on your car will be picked up, and stick to your clay bar. That can be a bad for paint! You dont want to put scratches on your car with a dirty clay bar.

5. DETAILING CLAY BAR - Yup you guessed it. Even after the vinegar bath. Your clear-coat still might have some contaminants on the surface. Washing alone cant get rid of this. So you use your clay bar. In my case, i used the lube spray that came with the clay. But you can use soapy water if you want. Just follow the directions on the package and get going!

6. RINSE/DRY - use a nice dry terry cloth towel or microfiber towel.

7. CLEANER - In my Case.. McGuire's cleaner, NOT cleaner wax, Cleaner wax is a one step wax and polish. Cleaner is a cheap and effective way to remove those swirl marks and minor blemishes. Use a cheap clean foam applicator, and wipe off with a clean, dry terrycloth/microfiber towel.

8. POLISH - Also McGuire's - Same as step 7. Accept use a different applicator and towel. Its probably not smart to reuse the towels you used for the other steps. You want them to be dry and free of wax/polish or whatever else you put on it before.

p.s. Don't use an abrasive polish unless you really really have to. Some polishes aren't clear coat safe, and if they are, some will actually remove a thin layer of clear-coat. This is fine if you have medium to heavy scratches or swirl marks.. but on newer cars with new paints, its not needed. You just want a polish that will give your car that wet clean look.

9. WAX - Simple. Wax on and buff off. I used a Turtle Wax brand wax. Like the rest of my car. I stuck to what i had, and kept to the basics. I'm sure there are better waxes and polishes out there. But i didn't want to spend any more than i had to.

10. Lastly.. clean up. All i did was take all my rags, towels, applicators and put them in a bucket. I added dawn dish soap, and sprayed everything with the hose. Just hand wash all your stuff. Dawn Dish soap removes wax.. so its a cheap easy way to get your cleaning supplies wax/polish free. They should be safe to reuse again.. even if they aren't perfectly clean looking, lol.

I would say.. this complete process should be done twice a year. Once in the Spring, and once in the late Autumn/Fall.

Other than that.. all that is needed is your basic wash when needed. Waxing 3-4 times a year total cant hurt either. Not really sure how long your typical wax will last. But considering how cheap a decent wax is, it shouldn't hurt your pocket book too much to keep your car looking good.

Oh yeah.. detailer spray is perfect for those days when your car is dusty or dull looking. No need to wash your car and get all those annoying water spots when you want a quick cleaning job. I use McGuire's Detailing spray. But i guess some people use a car duster.. guess it all depends on your tastes.

Good luck with your car washing.. nothing is hotter than a slick looking shiny 6. :drive:

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
All of that in two hours?

Who are you - the Flash?

:laugh:

Hell, a simple wash and wax takes me three hours. Am I being to AR about it?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I forgot to dry? Hmmm... i dried before i did my cleaner wax. As for the 2 hours question. Well my car wast dirty when i first started. So i did a quick once around with some detailer spray before i started with the Vinegar and Clay. So that saved me some time.

But it only took 2 hours because my McGuire cleaner wax and polish said "dont let dry, whipe off with clean cloth" So i pretty much had my cleaner wax or polish in one hand, and applicator in the next. With my dry microfiber towel tucked in my pocket. So wax on.. wax off :) I was thorough, yet quick. I didnt miss a spot.. and i got what i needed done. So yes.. only 2 hours. I would say 2 1/2 hours if my car would have been pretty dirty to begin with.

I will try to post some pics :p

·
Registered
467 Posts
Why use "cleaner wax", polish, and then pure wax? I can understand paint cleaner as step 1, but a wax before polish? I thought the rule was remove wax if needed, polish, then wax.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
McGuires has a 3 step system.

1. Cleaner Wax- Its not an actual wax, it will actually remove wax. Its meant to clean your cars paint, remove swirm marks. And other minor blemishes.

2. Polish- Gives your car that wet shiny look

3. Wax - protects newly polished surface and protects cars paint.

I used turtle wax for my final wax.

·
Registered
905 Posts
McGuires has a 3 step system.

1. Cleaner Wax- Its not an actual wax, it will actually remove wax. Its meant to clean your cars paint, remove swirm marks. And other minor blemishes.

2. Polish- Gives your car that wet shiny look

3. Wax - protects newly polished surface and protects cars paint.
[/b]
Well actually. It IS a wax. It's actually meant to be a one stepper for Joe Enthusiastbutdoesn'twanttospendthetimetodetailhiscar. It really doesn't have anything superior qualities over claying in fact it may interfere with the polish being able to break down properly. However, i don't see a cleaner wax but a paint cleanser in your products. There IS a difference.

Direct from meguiar's website on their cleaner wax:

Meguiar’s most versatile, one step wax specially formulated to produce eye-dazzling results on all finishes. Rich conditioning oils and legendary gentle cleaning ability make it an excellent choice for daily drivers exposed to the elements. For best results, use our Even-Coat Applicator to apply Cleaner Wax and a Supreme Shine Microfiber or Ultra Plush Super Terry for removal[/b]
Polishing on the otherhand IS what removes minor blemishes and deeper swirl marks. You will want to look into a glazes for a deeper shine but you do not have to but always remember to seal your freshly polished/glazed surface before you top it.

and 2 hours, damn. My record is 6.5-7 hours for a full detail. Full detail for me entails: wash, dry, clay, cleanse, 2 polishes, a glaze, 2 layers of sealant, and finall 2 layers of wax.

·
Registered
46 Posts
nicely done! personally i prefer to wash with original liquid Dawn to remove grease/was instead of the vinegar method. it's a bit safer, as effective as acid and doesn't smell narsty.

cheers,

-s

·
Registered
700 Posts
looks great, i think ill be doing this tomorrow!

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
nicely done! personally i prefer to wash with original liquid Dawn to remove grease/was instead of the vinegar method. it's a bit safer, as effective as acid and doesn't smell narsty.

cheers,

-s
[/b]
I that Big Fat Paulie in your avatar?
:)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright.. so what exactly is a Glaze? After you are done polishing you add a glaze THEN you wax? So many products, so many decisions...

·
Registered
905 Posts
Alright.. so what exactly is a Glaze? After you are done polishing you add a glaze THEN you wax? So many products, so many decisions...
[/b]
a glaze is similar to a polish. It is less aggressive than a polish and is meant to smooth and add shine to your paint. The glaze can be skipped the more important part is that you seal after you glaze or polish and before you wax. Most sealants will last longer than your wax but a wax + sealant will give you good protection as well as a decent shine.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
a glaze is similar to a polish. It is less aggressive than a polish and is meant to smooth and add shine to your paint. The glaze can be skipped the more important part is that you seal after you glaze or polish and before you wax. Most sealants will last longer than your wax but a wax + sealant will give you good protection as well as a decent shine.
[/b]
Just out of curiosity, what are your two favorite sealants?

·
Registered
905 Posts
I myself really like Poorboy's EX-P (i have both EX and EX-P, you get more shine out of EX but less durability. the difference due to EX-P being synthetic.) I also like the results from Klasse SG. You really can't go wrong with klasse AIO and SG. I'm dying to try out some werkstatt products. From what I hear their sealant is very comparable to Zaino but werkstatt's product are much friendlier to mixing unlike zaino.

Why do you ask?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There are way to many different types of waxes out there, lol

I always thought it was Cleaner, Polish, Wax

Now i get glazes and sealents.. hmmm...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
10 Participants
Chode6i
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing