Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching for something to put in my new morning room as it sits empty right now. We decided that building a bar would be fun and functional, and affordable as well. The plans came from HERE. I bought the combo deal for the front and back compact bars. We're building both. I finished the front one today, minus the sanding and staining. First time I've ever built anything made of wood from scratch. I learned a lot about sawing (circular, jigsaw, compound mitre), that's for sure. The compound mitre saw is the greatest thing ever. I borrowed one off a coworker, but now I want one of my own :D. Here's some pics of the front bar. I'll probably start on the back bar this weekend.

It's got a dry sink in the mixing counter, and an adjustable shelf down low. It's solid as hell and very heavy. I can't wait to get it sanded and stained and put this baby to use!

Comments, suggestions, and woodworking tips welcomed!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Bar sucks, you fail, never build anything again! :slap:

Ok I'm just jealous. Wish I had the tools and more importantly the house to be able to do things like that. Looks damn good for a first ever project.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
do i see a 6 peeking in the background in that second pic..

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Looks good. When I finally buy my own place that will be the first thing I build. Me and my buddies built a few awesome ones whilein college.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
do i see a 6 peeking in the background in that second pic..
[/b]
Yeah, sure do. If you look closely to the right of the bar in the first pic, you'll see a glimpse of the side sills that I bought from msumlin yesterday. And the 6 has a new appearance lip on the front.

Man, this sanding is a drag! It's insane how fast a palm sander goes through sandpaper! It's getting smoother and smoother though!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Is that just an ice sink that drops into the counter? If so, does it pop out so you can dump the ice? If not, how are you gonna run your drain?

Looks good though!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Looks awesome. Thats one thing I'd like to get back in to, now that I have my own garage. Just don't have the space to put it once its built. Lol.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Nice work. Let's see those pics after you finish painting/staining it. :)

I'm thinking of redoing my kitchen and other rooms of the house.

Just need to get myself a table saw, plunge router, joint planer, sanders, and compound miter saw.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Looks really nice, but sounds way too much like work to me.

You definitely have skills that I lack.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is that just an ice sink that drops into the counter? If so, does it pop out so you can dump the ice? If not, how are you gonna run your drain?

Looks good though!
[/b]

It's just a "dry sink". Actually a total ripoff, but it does look nice. I bought it from a website that the company who sells these plans recommends, and it was like $85. I expected it to be in its own sleeve and slide out or something like that, but it's just basically a square stainless steel bowl. But, it does add some flair to the setup, and it'll be useful. I'm putting a small 2.5 cu/f fridge in the lower portion of the back bar we're starting on soon. And yes, it lifts out of the mixing table to dump out. Luckily it'll be in my morning room which is right off the kitchen, so it'll be an easy dump into the kitchen sink. I thought about plumbing it, but I can't bring myself to drill big ass holes in my brand new floors.

Looks awesome. Thats one thing I'd like to get back in to, now that I have my own garage. Just don't have the space to put it once its built. Lol.
[/b]
Thanks Sabrina. Yeah, having a garage is a great thing, that's for sure. Usually people put bars in the basement, and we were debating about what to do with our morning room (it's empty right now). I didn't want to drop a couple grand into couches and shit that we'd never sit on, hell the HDTV is in the great room, why would I ever sit out there? Read the paper and drink my coffee? I don't do that shit, hell I'm only 27 :D :D We decided that the bar would actually get plenty of use, and not including tools that I bought, this cost less than $200 to build.

Nice work. Let's see those pics after you finish painting/staining it. :)

I'm thinking of redoing my kitchen and other rooms of the house.

Just need to get myself a table saw, plunge router, joint planer, sanders, and compound miter saw.
[/b]
Thanks, yeah I'm sanding this week, staining this weekend and hopefully finding someone to help me drag the heavy ass thing into the house. I'll get some pics up once it's in its final resting place.

For this project, I bought a circular saw, a jigsaw, and some other small random hand tools. I almost bought a compound miter, but someone at my work let me borrow his DeWalt, which is much nicer than the one I would've bought :D It's a really nice tool, I've never used one before. I also have a miter block and handsaw that I didn't use once.

Looks really nice, but sounds way too much like work to me.

You definitely have skills that I lack.
[/b]
Thanks man. These plans, seriously make it so simple virtually anyone could do it. It's all about the right tools, measuring once and cutting twice... or is it the other way around? :D The only part I found to be very difficult was the circular sawing. Very, very hard to make a straight cut, even with the laserbeam guide and everything. I've never tried before, so I got better towards the end, but my first couple cuts were pretty rough. Also, cutting out that hole for the dry sink was a real pain in the ass. I had to redo that whole piece cuz I F'ed it up so bad.

·
Registered
467 Posts
The only part I found to be very difficult was the circular sawing. Very, very hard to make a straight cut, even with the laserbeam guide and everything.

No table saw?? Gotta have one.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Looking good. I was just thinking about doing something like this for my place. My selection keeps getting larger and larger and I have no where to put it.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The only part I found to be very difficult was the circular sawing. Very, very hard to make a straight cut, even with the laserbeam guide and everything.

No table saw?? Gotta have one.
[/b]

Nope, no table saw. Maybe I'll ask around and see if someone has one I can borrow.

Looking good. I was just thinking about doing something like this for my place. My selection keeps getting larger and larger and I have no where to put it.
[/b]
Check out that website, www.precision-images.com. They have plans for several different styles. The instructions are fantastic.

·
Registered
815 Posts
To get a straight cut with a circular saw you need to make a guide. Just take a 4' level and clamp it down to the material you are cutting. Remember to measure the distance from the saw blade to the edge of the saw base, and offest your guide so you cut exactly where you want.

A 4' level is better than a 2"x4" or similiar piece of wood beacuse the 4' level will be totally straight, where as a normal piece of wook can be slightly off.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
If you are still sanding....

Best thing to do is... 80 grit then 100 then 120...then 180....using the "orange" garnet paper. Don't push down on the palm sander...let the paper do the work for you....otherwise you end up with nasty swrl marks. It will also save on using excessive paper.

Once you are staining and then finishing with verethane, or equivalent use 220 "grey" Aluminum paper between coats to make it smooth and to prep it for the next coat.

My grnadfather by trade is a cabinet maker, and I have spend many years learning from him. For a first project you have done VERY VERY well. If you were my son (i'm only 22) the words "I'm proud of you son" would come out of my mouth. I am impressed. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
:thumbup: You might want to consider Marine varnish for the top for durability and to hold-up to constant moisture. Looks like you tackled this project like a pro....... :cheers:

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Done. Oh baby does it ever look great. Now I just need someone to help me move it in the house, it's a heavy bastard :D

I'm so incredibly proud of this piece. I think I've got a new hobby now :) Beers are gonna taste that much better off this bad boy.

Special thanks to DeWalt for making such a sweet compound miter saw, and Minwax for the stainable wood filler :D I used a ton of that stuff.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
About this Discussion
58 Replies
35 Participants
island_6
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing