Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did my first oil change on the 6 about 500 miles ago. Got the crush washer and filter direct from my local Mazda dealer. No problem getting the filter or drain plug off or on. (I’ve been doing my own oil changes for decades, so not my first effort). Cleaned the mating surfaces and all that stuff. Noticed a few drops on the garage floor a few days later, figured from some residue from the oil on the gloves or something, so wiped it up and moved on. Next time pulling out, a few more. Hmmm.... wiped the drain cover off good and we’ll see what shows up. Next time, same deal.
OK, let’s get a look. Plug’s not loose (yes, I torqued it correctly). But there’s a drop hanging from it. Pulled the plug, drained the oil into a CLEAN container (I’ll be reusing the oil) and noticed that there’s a plating on the crush washer that apparently peeled and folded
back. See the photo. I later peeled more of the plating back from the washer. Inspected the bolt flange and pan surface - clean with no gouges or burrs. Reinstalled the plug with a neoprene/aluminum washer. I’ve used these on my last car for 15 years without issue.
No more crush washers for me. Will eventually get around to putting a Fumoto valve on (not with a crush washer).

·
Super Moderator
17,514 Posts
Awful little things, aren't they? That's one of the top reasons I went with a Fumoto and will continue to do so on future vehicles.

Sorry to hear about the nonsense though, glad you saw the issue before driving on it!

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Wow that bites.. I put a Fumoto on mine with the first oil change and have never touched the fiber washer (that it came with) since. No leaks..... and 200k+ miles later, I'm happy.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I use Mazda supplied Al washers... and have never had a prb like you did...

???

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've never, ever changed my crush washers on any vehicle I've owned. Never had a problem reusing them. But on my 3rd re-use of the washer on my 6, I started getting little oil drops like you're describing. Weird. I bought a whole pack of them and now I install a new one every time, but getting a Fumoto valve or something similar seems like a nice solution as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Never heard of fumoto. Looks like a good product after looking them up on Amazon, so thinking of taking advantage of prime day. Can anyone confirm size for a 2014 6 gt? Do I need the extension? I’m at work and can’t exactly go out and check right now. Was looking at the f106n

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
17,514 Posts
Never heard of fumoto. Looks like a good product after looking them up on Amazon, so thinking of taking advantage of prime day. Can anyone confirm size for a 2014 6 gt? Do I need the extension? I’m at work and can’t exactly go out and check right now. Was looking at the f106n

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've got a 2014 GT and the exact model Fumoto I bought was F-106N, which Fumoto recommends on their website. You don't need anything besides what comes in the package.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I've never, ever changed my crush washers on any vehicle I've owned. Never had a problem reusing them. But on my 3rd re-use of the washer on my 6, I started getting little oil drops like you're describing. Weird. I bought a whole pack of them and now I install a new one every time, but getting a Fumoto valve or something similar seems like a nice solution as well.
what brand of washer.... i.e. a pack-full - did you buy... and where?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have been changing fluids on my own cars for 20+ years, on 6 different car brands. I have never come across a gouged crush washer like that, copper or aluminum. In a pinch I've re-used crush washers and generally use new ones each time.

I think you got unlucky with that crush washer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It wasn’t gouged. It was pristine when I put it on. Noticed the peeling when I took it off. Have only had GM & Chrysler products prior and these had steel pans with nylon (or some other white plastic) oil drain gaskets; never a leak in 40+ years even with reusing the gasket. Anyway, doing fine on the steel gasket with the neoprene insert until it put in a drain valve at the next oil change.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts