Mazda 6 Forums banner

My feelings after the test drive.

3K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  solarbear 
#1 ·
Hi guys. I have been today on dealership and took drive test of Mazda6i and Mazda6s. Unfortenately, with stick shift they didn't have any, so both had an automatic transmision. First, I took test with Mazda6i, in contrast with Mazda 626 2.2 88 : motor is very noisу and my test wasn't take a long time because it's bother me a lot. Second car Mazda6s full loaded, motor was little less noisy than Mazda6i , but anyway, there is too many noise. In contrast, with my Lexus ES 300 1997- Mazda 6 like a toy. I was very dissapointed when found out it and Electronic Throttle Control also work less intensative. Also, I don't like at that time huge quantity of red light in the dish board. All plastic inside the car very cheap looking, all plastic from hard material and I think in the near future it's give a noise. For sure, constractor team made an error, hang the engine on regular engine mount. Toyota in contrast on cheap cars put special engine mount and shock. Both cars didn't offer me a pleasure of driving and I want to think that this is only the first samples.
Sorry for my English. :(

#2 ·
Replying to Topic 'My bad feelings after the test drive.'

Originally posted by kirill626

Hi guys.  I have been today on dealership and took drive test of  Mazda6i and Mazda6s. Unfortenately, with stick shift they didn't have any, so both had an automatic transmision.  First, I took test with Mazda6i, in contrast with Mazda 626 2.2 88  : motor is very nois&#109[/b]
Noise or a sporty tune, that's a matter of opinion. I think it's sporty. Really sporty. But yes, you hear the engine. If you don't like that, there are other cars out there...
; and my test wasn't take a long time because it's bother me a lot.  Second car Mazda6s  full loaded, motor was little less noisy than Mazda6i , but anyway, there is too many noise.   In contrast, with my Lexus ES 300 1997- Mazda 6 like a toy.[/b]
Hardly. I've seen those. They are cheaper appearing (but more expensive when it comes to cost) than the 6.
I was very dissapointed when found out it and Electronic Throttle Control also work less intensative.  Also, I don't like at that time huge quantity of red light in the dish board.  [/b]
Personally I felt hesitation too for all the red, I would have preferred blue. But now I just love it. Very soft on your eyes in the dark.
All plastic inside the car very cheap looking, all plastic from hard material and I think in the near future it's give a noise.  [/b]
You are wrong. All material isn't hard plastic. The dash for one is out of a soft material. As for noise...I lived with a 626 for years with cheaper material than the 6, with NO noise. I trust Mazda build quality.
For sure,  constractor team made an error, hang the engine on regular engine mount.  Toyota in contrast on cheap cars put special  engine mount and shock.  Both cars didn't offer me a pleasure of driving and I want to think that this is only the first samples.  
Sorry for my English. :([/b]
Can't really have an opinion about the engine mount, but very little of engine movement is spread through the body of the car.

#3 ·

Too bad you didn't enjoy your test of a 6 like I did. I'd have to say that I'd only want a Mazda6 if I was going to take advantage of the stick shift.

Comparing a $30000 to a $70000 Lexus is a bit strange. The Lexus is a luxury car and built to be completely quiet where Mazda aims for a sportier sound, especially the engine.

I found the cabin a bit noiser than the Camry Sportivo I test drove on the same day (note the Aussie Camry is designed by Aussie engineers to be extremely quiet on our crapo roads) but it was better than most other cars in the same category.

I have to wonder if the 17" wheels are too noisy. The one I drove was the base model and had 15" wheels.

Here is a quote from go auto an fantastic aussie car site www.goauto.com:
"It did tend to jostle a little on broken bitumen on low-profile, 17-inch tyres and generate some noise. But the higher profile 16-inch rubber quelled that."

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf...ght=2,mazda%206

#4 ·

Krill, it looks like you are on the wrong board!

You haven't said anything about how you thought the car drove. That's what it all comes down to. The driving dynamics of the '6 are excellent, but it sounds like you might prefer the isolation of a luxury car.

#5 ·

Kirill, it sounds like this isn't the right car for you. What you call noisy is what we call music. If you want that "coffinlike" ride, you're barking up the wrong tree. If the car feels cheap and plasticky to you, you should find one that feels good. Good luck to you in your car buying.

#6 ·

Yeah Kirill, this may not be the car for you. This is especially true when you are trying to compare the 6 with a Lexus ES300. I can see some commonality with the IS300 (IS200 for you Euros). They are both sport sedan that are marketed toward buyers that want a more sportier feel than comfort. Yes, they both have comfort to a certain level but not the same level as a ES300. If you can't afford an ES300 than get a Toyota Camry. They are relatively similar in ride refinement. The only difference is how luxury the option and price.

Hope you find your right car.

#8 ·

I want everyone to be very clear about this: the Mazda6 does NOT use a purely conventional powertrain mount system.

The powertrain mounts are layed out in a pendulum fashion with Right Hand (RHS); Left Hand (LHS); and a Roll Restrictor (RR). The LHS and RHS mounts are roughly aligned with the Torque Roll Axis (TRA) of the engine (it's not perfect because of compromises in packaging and making so many engines use the same set of frame mount points) and the RR prevents the engine from swinging about it's TRA. This system has been in 626s at least as far back as '88 (it's doubtfull this was in the 1st or 2nd gen 626 but I don't have access to either generation to check). The RR is attached to the base of the engine and connects to the lateral link of the front chassis subframe just behind the engine. The RR is a very nice and shiny piece of aluminum, you can't miss it.

In the '6 the LHS mount is attached to the tranny via a cast tower which is suspended under the battery tray by an elastomeric mount. The RHS mount is a conical hydromount, and the RR uses elastomeric bushings.

This is a very common mounting scheme. However, a hydromount is NOT a conventional elastomeric mount. They're rather complex little beasts that use a conical elastomeric spring to pump a fluid through the mount to damp vibrations. That's the simple story.

How do I know this? I'm an engineer for one of many suppliers who make such systems. I've seen the test data. The Mazda mounts are pretty good, though can be made better. That's as much as I can say.

#9 ·

Can you expound a little on the benefits/drawbacks of such a design with respect to what you call "conventional" mount schemes? I understood what you were saying, but I couldn't glean whether the feature set you described is a positive or negative issue.

thanks,
-Alt (another engineer)

#11 ·

I don't work in Holland. I wish I knew more juicy tech details, but we're not that close to the engineering of the '6. We deal a lot with powertrain mounts, and so we're always interested in what companies are doing.

To answer Alt's question. Look at the engine as a lumped mass with three directionaly tunable springs and dampers. With conventional mounts there's very little damping, and you can't control when it begins and how much there is. With hydromounts we can add a tunable damper to the system to reduce the vibrations that are transmitted back to the chassis. Hydromounts became popular in the early '90s on higher end cars where NVH issues were pretty important. As the technology has matured they're being used on more and more vehicles that cost less than a lexus.

#12 ·

Lets see performance ratings too.

2003 Lexus ES300 0-60 = 8.4 seconds (auto) Even 2002 millenia S is better in performance.

2003 Mazda 6 0-60 = 7.4 seconds (auto) and 6.7 seconds for 5 speed. Same as 2003 Lexus Is300 which is on RWD, and costs $31,000 while the 6 is $22,000-$23,000 for model S.

#14 ·

Hi guys! About a couple hours I came back from dealership Mazda after the drive test on Mazda6S V6 stick shift. I really liked the stick shift, but you can kill me ;) the engine works a little more noisier than I would like to have it to have. Maybe I very skeptical in this moment. Also, I feel that stick changes speed not clear. Probably it’s just my imagination. I want to hear the comments from owners of Mazda6s 5 speed who already have this car. Am I wrong or not? I will take the drive test in the future more and more. And maybe someday I will be lucky and dealer forgets to come with me in the car :sarc
Regarding my previous posting: I was wrong about the material, I checked today one more time and found out the from plastic made only the cover of the navigation system. Regarding of comparing with the my Lexus ES300: both cars have the same size engine, same kind automatic transmition, same front wheel drive system. Because my vision of Mazda6 and Lexus ES300 not so awful like you said. I think that Mazda6 is right choice for me and I choose this car very long time ago, but I just want something more.
I understand that in this forum I shouldn’t write about negative aspects this can be taking so aggressively from other members. But, believe me that I really love Mazda :love and write this posting only because it’s may help to correct some minor problems.
On the first photo I just start moving, on second photo is my wife’s Lexus and MazdaSpeed on which I‘ll take drive test next time.
Thanks everybody, and please try to understand my point :cheers
Kirill

#15 ·

Yes, Kirill, you can be as negative as you wish in here. But there are different ways to be negative, and I think that you stepped on one or two toes...:sarc

I think many people thought you were bashing the car, and so did I. And that you did so on faulty and unfair grounds.

#17 ·
Replying to Topic 'My feelings after the test drive.'

Be as negative as you want, as long as it's justified (and prepare to be bashed! :p )

Naw, seriously, nothing is perfect. When I am looking to buy something, especially something I'm excited about, I focus on the negatives, not the positives! Gives a much more objective look.

Be negative all you want, but don't be negative for the sake of being negative (eg. Windows...people will hate MS Windows just to hate MS Windows); and be sure your negativity is justified.

#18 ·

I thought your comments were fair. You wanted the car to be quieter. And the interior wasn't 100% to your liking. Fair enough.

You might consider spraying the bottom with that stuff that is supposed to cut roadnoise 20%, is only a couple hundred bucks.

#25 ·

Originally posted by solarbear

I thought your comments were fair.  You wanted the car to be quieter. And the interior wasn't 100% to your liking.  Fair enough.

You might consider spraying the bottom with that stuff that is supposed to cut roadnoise 20%, is only a couple hundred bucks.[/b]

What is "that stuff" called, and where can you buy it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.