Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Not that this can really apply to you guys in the states, but I thought I'd post up some of the times I've been hitting on track in my attempt to become a better driver, half second by half second.

In what you guys would know as a 6i, being mum and dads runabout, no major mods but the best bit of all, its an auto :tear: yup, how i wish it was a manual, as majorly handicapped as it is and to some even seemingly a waste of time to drive hard in, theres not much I can do about it in my circumstances, so making do with what I have in order to learn how to drive first, as opposed to throwing a bankroll of money at parts and still not knowing what an apex is. So though I'm slow now, I'm looking long term where hopefully later on I'll be able to handle myself in a higher powered car and what not.

The s14 that got the top time of 1.09 is absolutly hectic, and a general time that porsches do the track in is about 1.05, so I'm still quite a bit off, half a second by half second I doubt I'll still get there! Not in this car atleast.

Anyhow I am now a great advocate for taking speed of the streets, and really being able to test your skills in an enviroment that a track/circuit allows you. And though there were a few scary spinouts at first, its an awesome experience and one that those keyboard warriors and traffic light racers out there need to have a go at in order to open there eyes!

Anyway enough of the chit chat, here are the numbers of my effort.

http://circuit-club.com/usccfastest.htm

Anyone with tips on how to get faster please teach me the way :p !!! I now look at any money spent on the car with a question, how many seconds is it worth??!! :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Based on your times, and the cars you were driving against, I would say you did quit well. Come on, you were less than a second slower than a BMW E36 M3! And some of those other car like the Integras ar no slouches!!! You are down on power compared to some of those other cars. The way around most tracks is slow in and fast out of the turns. Look though the apex and to the exit cones if you have cones at the turns. Most importantly look ahead through the turns. Plan ahead on where you want to be for the next turn. BE SMOOTH!!! Flogging the car around the turns scrubs off speed, and you don't have the horse power to make that loss up. I belong to the BMWCCA here in the states and I drive my 325ix a bunch at the local trck here called Pacific Raceways. It's 2.23 miles long. I have done this most outstanding "hobby" for the last 7 years now and have become an instructor with the cub. You have become what we call a track junkie!!! Good for you. Finding out the limits of your car at the track will help you avoid accidents on the street. You will know the limits of your car and how far to push it when you need to. Plus going to the track IS a BLAST!!! My best time at PR has been a 1:53.4. Most E36 M3's lap in the 1:40-!:45's. So I'm about 10-12 seconds slower than the rest. Oh well as long as you're having fun and learning, who cares!! Be patient and smooth and you will get better! Pierce

Oh, BTW, I own a 03 Mazda6sGT. Black MT. Nice car!!! I'd like to try that out on the track to compare the difference in driving my AWD BMW and the FWD Mazda. Perhaps the summer!!!! Pierce

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ahaha yeh cheers dude, i was able to start to pick up on being smooth, using the whole track, and something I really need to concentrate doing as you mentioned is to look several corners ahead.

And yes, the bug has bitten! Track whore for life! But is one expensive hobby, tyres (not even semi slicks!) fuel etc!

And your spot on with the added safety on the road, though I've been testing the waters a bit with some of the things I've learnt, the best part on track is you can truly test the limits of the car, and well frankly its damn scary when your totally out of control only a spectator in the car, and whilst on a hard run through some twisties the other day, there was no way I was game to gun it, what with the consequences of cliff faces and what not. Nothing like the added safety of a run off sandtrap :p

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
2 Participants
sixthsense
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing