Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 279 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided late last night as I came back home from a party that I was going to finally make a usefull pod off my orignal design of:

Meanwhle my car's in the shop so I snag my replacement's defrost vent and began to hack away. I carefull cut out all vent except for the front 2.

I also had aying arund this gauge panel from VDO (5$ at napa) and I began to hack it so it had no mount left and slimmed down the sides.

Then in the sides of the vent I cut slats and slid the hacked up panel/ring into place (slight angle backwars and towards the driver for readability). I superglues it in place so it wouldnt move while glassing it.

Then I simply took the tube containe the VEI gauge came with and cut off a 1/3" section and attached it to the back of the vdo panel. I used this as a tempplate so I had something to drape the cloth over.

Then pretty much time to fibrglass (15$ bumper repair kit through napa is the perfect size). Drapped it over the sides, first was a single large peiece (had to fold it over in a spot to make it fit). Then I added a thick gel coat and added a few more smaller layers of cloth to cover up the fold in the initial peice. Keep adding gel coats till you get it nice and smooth.

All I have left is the bottom of the front and inside the gauge. Here are the pics:

Sorry about the bad pics only had a phone cam at 3am. Also the only gauge to work will eb the VEI. Its perfectly thin. Simply cut off the accces screw mounts and it will fit perfectly.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Wow...that's some pretty nice work. Can't wait to see it installed.

·
Registered
815 Posts
That looks great. Kudos for carrying out your vision. If something like that would be available through the aftermarket, I would have purchased it.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
The best part about it is that the vent is still fully functional.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Great work so far! Inspires me to try the same. How do you plan to route the vacuum line and wiring so that it's hidden? Will they go down into the vent? Is there a sealed duct that routes air to that vent, so that a hole has to be drilled to feed out the line and wires? Does the vent panel just pull out (ie. clipped in)? What was the cost of the replacement vent, or did you take if from another car?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Great work so far! Inspires me to try the same. How do you plan to route the vacuum line and wiring so that it's hidden? Will they go down into the vent? Is there a sealed duct that routes air to that vent, so that a hole has to be drilled to feed out the line and wires? Does the vent panel just pull out (ie. clipped in)? What was the cost of the replacement vent, or did you take if from another car?
[/b]
+1 pleaes keep us informed. many may want to do this.

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
Very nice hand work. Now you need to patent your ideal before someone runs away with it and make money. ;)

I would buy one from you as well. Get to it bud. Chop-Chop!!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Awsome... I think you should contact several companies that design similar things... And see if any would be willing to mass produce it...

I'm pretty sure the vent is the same on the speed6 as the regular 6... maybe other mazdas as well... Which would make this pod idea even more useful.

Unless you're in the position to make them yourself for all of us who are wanting!

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I would be a go for one pending a final product with higher res pics...

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
How can you tell it's from a non-speed 6?
[/b]
I think the steering wheel and gauges give it away. Speed6s (at least the ones I've seen) don't have perforated leather on the wheel, and the gauges in the pic have white digits, not lit up red ones on the Speed6.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I wish I knew how to glass... This is by far the best idea for boost gauge placement yet!!! cant wait to see finished product. good work.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Nice man! Looks good so far, post more when complete.

·
Registered
862 Posts
You need to start mass producing those...you could make some $$

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alrighty here's an update.. I've layyed about 4 more coats of just resin so that I can smooth it like no other. Also I've completely filled in the 3rd vent leaving the bottom 2 with only resin. It's drying as of now, the final coat the is.

So here are few pics:
(notice the left side is thinner since the vent is naturally at an angle. Also since it's at an angle toward the driver if too deep will hang over the natural edge of the vent.

Time to start sanding :)

I'm not interested in producting these. I've tried to find and proposed this gauge to many but the need for a thin gauge aka the vei makes the product useless to many vendors since noone stocks vei gauges. I would produce these but each one in the end after painting should take about 5 hours, which I dont have.

Honestly anyone can make this. I have never touched any fiberglass until yesterday and I quickly learned. Anyone can do it. Just take your time. Simply use a dremmel to grind and cut away. And look at the first pic I posted in this post, there you can see the round cardboard I used to drape the initial cloth layer around.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Alrighty here's an update.. I've layyed about 4 more coats of just resin so that I can smooth it like no other. Also I've completely filled in the 3rd vent leaving the bottom 2 with only resin. It's drying as of now, the final coat the is.

So here are few pics:
(notice the left side is thinner since the vent is naturally at an angle. Also since it's at an angle toward the driver if too deep will hang over the natural edge of the vent.

Time to start sanding :)

I'm not interested in producting these. I've tried to find and proposed this gauge to many but the need for a thin gauge aka the vei makes the product useless to many vendors since noone stocks vei gauges. I would produce these but each one in the end after painting should take about 5 hours, which I dont have.
Honestly anyone can make this. I have never touched any fiberglass until yesterday and I quickly learned. Anyone can do it. Just take your time. Simply use a dremmel to grind and cut away. And look at the first pic I posted in this post, there you can see the round cardboard I used to drape the initial cloth layer around.

Thanks everyone.
[/b]
Kudos to you and your handywork. I am very interested in how the wiring questions asked previuosly are addressed. Hope it works out well for you.

1 - 20 of 279 Posts