Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up some LED strips from autozone a few weeks ago and mounted them in my trunk to replace the dinky, useless little light that Mazda puts in there. A world of difference! I'll try to get some night pictures up when I get a chance. The install was real easy. I just pushed the stock bulb base up and found the wires near the subwoofer, pulled it all through and spliced the new wires in place. On with the pictures.

I know the wiring doesn't look that tidy or professional... but 1) It's in the trunk. Who cares? 2) When you're standing behind the car with the trunk open, you can't see the lights or the wires; so again, who cares?! :p

·
Registered
20 Posts
I did the same thing, but I wanted to use red and white lights so I could use red when showing off the trunk, and white for when I really need to see what I'm doing in the trunk. I hooked up a switch in the trunk that I can turn on just the red, or just the white, or both, or no light at all..works great :)

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
ive had the exact same thing for the last 3 years. cept mine are blue led's, and i have mine on a switch so i can shut them off if i dont want them on. but when i did it, i also had other blue neon in the trunk also.

i never took any pic's of it cause i have usually tried to hide any of my lighting. not show it. lol. but heres a few pics where you can still make it out.

you can tell its on from the blue hue above the speaker box.

and here's what it looks like when its dark.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I have some white LED strips that I put in there a while back. I love them...they make it so easy to see everything in the trunk.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Nice job. I totally made a how to for this a few years ago, lol (link in sig). You did a really nice job with this, A lot cleaner than they way I did mine in that how-to hahaha (It has been changed since then, it was one of my first mods and I had no idea what I was doing at the time).

·
Registered
32 Posts
I did the same thing, but I wanted to use red and white lights so I could use red when showing off the trunk, and white for when I really need to see what I'm doing in the trunk. I hooked up a switch in the trunk that I can turn on just the red, or just the white, or both, or no light at all..works great :)
got any pics? sounds sick!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Dayum.

I still haven't done this.

I'm still deciding where to put them. I don't want to attach them to the cargo cover. Maybe to the top of the seatbacks....I wonder how crush-proof those strips are. I use my hatch area quite a bit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
ok here's the pics of my trunk mod..

the switch

no lights on

red light on

white light on

both lights on

white light on

red light on

no lights on

·
Registered
339 Posts
Wow, looks very nice ex. Do you think this could work on a 2nd gen? and how bright is your setup?

·
Registered
20 Posts
i don't see why it wouldn't work the same on a 2nd gen. it looks brighter in person than it does in the pics. If you come to the La Paloma meet this wednesday i can show you in person. im standing about 6 feet away from the car to take these pics.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Ugh, unfortunately 6am morning wake-ups do not go well for this aging body..lol

Where did you get all of the supplies from?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
post pics at night please
I haven't checked this thread in a while. I'll try to get night pics up sometime. It's soooo bright! You can't hide anything in there.

BTW, for anyone looking for these, they're at AutoZone. I used the pair of 12" strips for ~$20. A quick check with the volt meter to double check the wires and some crimp connectors should be all you need.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts