Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I needed a hard core engine to test VersaTuner on, so I am building one :)

Carillo Rods
Coated 9:1 CP pistons

Assembled bottom end

F2 BSD

ARP Main Studs

Ported Head

Need to get a better pic w/ manual focus :( But you get the idea.

ARP Head Studs and Cometic HG

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
787 Posts
Am jealous! This is the build I want to do - stronger bottom end, 1/2 pt less CR, _keep the squish band_, coated pistons fit close enough not to slap & burn oil. Big piston clearances are just lazy - oem's don't do that even on 7000rpm engines, you just have spec the piston right.

For a really extreme build, I'd like to see someone use a VGT such as Holset's. You could program whatever boost curve you want rather than trading top end vs driveablity via hardware.
One would prolly have to mix'n match turbine and compressor sides + prep the turbine to handle more heat since the original design is for diesel. They're meant for trucks that run WOT much of the time so they might handle a gas passenger car app better than it looks on paper.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've put about 250 miles on it so far. This thing is super responsive with the Fidanza flywheel, F2 BSD, and lightweight Carrillo rods.

The SPEC stage 2 clutch is pretty well broken in and holding nicely now. It is soooo smooth. I love it.

I cant wait to put a big Garrett on it.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Damnit. wtf is my build taking sooooo long.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
LOL you have my engine set up less the coating!!!!

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
why is the cometic head gasget holes so small where the coolant goes thru?

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
why is the cometic head gasget holes so small where the coolant goes thru?

Those smaller holes are secondary transfer passages from the water jackets around the cylinders to the head. For HP applications they are usually sized a bit smaller to control coolant flow generally to restrict and slow it down to improve heat transfer around the more critical areas. The main IN/OUT passages from block to head are "normal" sized.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts