Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Oh, trust me, I've done the intimidating dad bit. Made sure he saw the black belt hanging in my office and have utilized my sons to demonstrate just a few pain compliance techniques while Matt just happened to be around. He's a wrestler...but he's puny. :)
[/b]
Black Belt in?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I think fathers need to back off personally.....

I mean look at it like this, What is intimidation going to do? except get the B/f a vendetta against you...It's not going to be a pivotal act of somehow breaking them up. Why don't you try a different route Like Oh i dunno Actually getting to know the B/f, and seeing what he is about..rather than threatening his health?
[/b]
And you're what....20? Nothing personal, but I've been a dad for a long time, and my kids are more important to me than some potential suitor's opinion of me. It's not like she's going to marry her high school sweetheart--chances of that are SMALL--and if she does, he can get over it.

I DO get to know him. I get to know his parents. But all of that is with the SOUND understanding that if he hurts my girl (and I don't mean breaks up with her and makes her cry, or cheats on her...I mean intentionally harms her...if he raises a hand to her or allows anyone else to do so, he will answer to me. And that will be unpleasant. Matt understands my role of protecting my daughter.

Black Belt in?
[/b]
Shotokan karate with healthy doses of taekwando, judo, jujitsu, and shorin ru.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
And you're what....20? Nothing personal, but I've been a dad for a long time, and my kids are more important to me than some potential suitor's opinion of me. It's not like she's going to marry her high school sweetheart--chances of that are SMALL--and if she does, he can get over it.

I DO get to know him. I get to know his parents. But all of that is with the SOUND understanding that if he hurts my girl (and I don't mean breaks up with her and makes her cry, or cheats on her...I mean intentionally harms her...if he raises a hand to her or allows anyone else to do so, he will answer to me. And that will be unpleasant. Matt understands my role of protecting my daughter.
Shotokan karate with healthy doses of taekwando, judo, jujitsu, and shorin ru.
[/b]
cool cool, ever consider doing MMA?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Doing what?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Competition? Or just learning all forms?

I studied Judo when I was younger, and my current Shihan teaches us from all different forms. As jr. belts, we're primarily shotokan and as black belts primarily shorin ru. But we have to know Arnis stuff for every belt. He throws in TKD kicks for every belt. We have to know jujitsu self defense and judo grappling for every belt. And weapons from other forms, too. It's a great program, and he couples it with superior mentors for the kids.

Oh, full contact. Little too intense for me. I'm 40, so I don't heal as well as I used to. :)

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Competition? Or just learning all forms?

I studied Judo when I was younger, and my current Shihan teaches us from all different forms. As jr. belts, we're primarily shotokan and as black belts primarily shorin ru. But we have to know Arnis stuff for every belt. He throws in TKD kicks for every belt. We have to know jujitsu self defense and judo grappling for every belt. And weapons from other forms, too. It's a great program, and he couples it with superior mentors for the kids.

Oh, full contact. Little too intense for me. I'm 40, so I don't heal as well as I used to. :)
[/b]
AHh I got ya. lol.....I started with American Kickboxing when I was about 15 because of my dad. Pretty much since then I addapted over in to Muay Thai. I watched a few no glove Thai fights on tape while training and started getting in to that (Never been in a bare knuckly thai fight though, Don't think I want too lol). From there I moved to Oregon to train up at Team Quest in Greko roman wrestling. Which moved over in to Gaidojutsu and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Found out you can't make a living doing that, Specially since I'm not a very big guy to begin with.lol. so had to move back here to Iowa where since then (I'm 26 now) I've been studying under a Gracie Jiu Jitsu camp and at The Des Moines Jiu Jitsu club. I've visted the Militech academy a few times. If anything it's an excuse to get in shape without the repetitve lifting crap. and it keeps me focused easier and less stressed in life.
I defiently think everyone should learn some form of martial arts. If anything to just keep them centered
you know.

(Actaully now that I think about it. I think we've had this conversation before in the past LOL)

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Yeah, martial arts of all forms are good for the body, mind, and soul. And if you find the right school, you can make great friends, too.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
I need to go back to Martial arts.....I did Shudokan Karate for like 4 years. It was a really good workout

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Yeah, the black belt test was physically the hardest thing I have ever done. THey literally carried most of us out.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
that's what i said.

i wouldn't try to break them up, just prove a point that i don't want my daughter getting hurt.
[/b]
Funny, I used to think the same way - until my daughter actually reached the ages y'all at talking about. By then I trusted her enough not to worry about it. She knew what should and shouldn't be done and took care of it herself.

Maybe I just got a good, smart kid?

:D

21 - 32 of 32 Posts