Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got my DH for x-mas, and have been playing with a mount option ever since.
This is where I ended up.

- Free, using the aluminum bracket & velcro included with the DH
- No permanent changes, holes drilled, or damage if removed/changed later

I tested variations and versions of this till I found the best location for me, and then lived with it for a few weeks to make sure I liked it.

Once I was positive the location worked was right for me, I modified the aluminum bracket with a single cut to remove just over an inch of material and moving the DH that much tighter to the dash and with a very slight bend to correct the angle more towards the driver.

This is a tension fit for the bracket, between the instrument cluster surround plastic and the dashboard, no screws, nothing. The mount is surprisingly tight and secure with, at least in my car, with no problems with movement when pressing the buttons or anything.

Total cost, not counting the original DashHawk purchase - $0
Total tools needed to mount - anything to cut the aluminum bracket- dremmel, hack saw, jig saw, reciprocating saw, whatever
Skills needed - trust me, if you own a DashHawk, your over-qualified...

Mandatory Pics:

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
and the steering wheel doesent block that?

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts
Very nice! :) I never thought of that location back when I was mounting mine...looks very good.

I'm trying to remember what the buttons are you are blocking, but IIRC one is a dead button and the other is never really used right?

I also like you have the USB connection point in a very convenient location...

:thumbup:

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE (superskaterxes @ Jan 31 2010, 11:47 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1633570
and the steering wheel doesent block that?[/b]
Not really, drivers view is just like pic # 4

QUOTE (Insane @ Jan 31 2010, 11:47 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1633571
Very nice! :) I never thought of that location back when I was mounting mine...looks very good.

I'm trying to remember what the buttons are you are blocking, but IIRC one is a dead button and the other is never really used right?

I also like you have the USB connection point in a very convenient location...

:thumbup:[/b]

Buttons, yup, two, dead button & clock set button, and yeah, the cable tucks right back in by the cluster :)

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
You definitely won't be able to see that unless you drive with a gangster lean.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Honest
you see the display perfect from the drivers seat, or at least I do at 6'2" and the seat base all the way back. No dramatic rake on the seat back either- lolz- negative on the gangster anything here. My seating position is based more on using my high-camber alignment & "really likes my corners" type thinking.

Now, I'll grant you cannot see the four buttons on the DashHawk, blocked by the steering wheel. It blocks the two buttons on the dash as well, but since I'm OEM Nav-less it's a non-issue here. I can see that would be an issue.

The mount could just as easily be moved up an inch or so in the same location, or lower and inboard, tension fit on the edge of the center console. I wasn't pleased with either location, and in my car this spot works :)

(edit, can't type...)

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Ohhh!!! Me likey!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Very nice looking mount! It looks like it's less blocked than my Scangauge in the storage pocket below and left of the steering wheel, but I still love that location. If I tilt my head about 3 inches to the left I get a good view, and I would think a similar tilt to the right would cover everything you need here. Is it just held on with velcro tape? I ask because mine started to lose its stick partway through the first summer.

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's velcro'd to the aluminum bracket, the bracket itself is just a tension fit. The velcro is the heavy duty plastic stuff that was included (along with the bracket), and so far seems to be holding very well. In it's first few weeks it was in-n-out of the car several times a day as I was screwing with it, and so far seems to be holding out well.

Your right tho- cooking in the FL summer heat will be interesting.....

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
That new 3m dual lock stuff is great. I did use super glue on the back of mine where I mounted it to the bottom of the DH and to the steering wheel column mount I made, but I bought a small roll of it to my other steering wheel column mounts, but these will be held with gravity so compared where you have gravity trying to pull it down it may get hot. Not sure what would be better, remove the DH before letting it sit in the sun so there is no weight on it or what...

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just wanted to say that, having lived with this for a few months now, it works.

pretty darn well actually. :cool: :D

Got my DH for x-mas, and have been playing with a mount option ever since.
This is where I ended up.

- Free, using the aluminum bracket & velcro included with the DH
- No permanent changes, holes drilled, or damage if removed/changed later

I tested variations and versions of this till I found the best location for me, and then lived with it for a few weeks to make sure I liked it.

Once I was positive the location worked was right for me, I modified the aluminum bracket with a single cut to remove just over an inch of material and moving the DH that much tighter to the dash and with a very slight bend to correct the angle more towards the driver.

This is a tension fit for the bracket, between the instrument cluster surround plastic and the dashboard, no screws, nothing. The mount is surprisingly tight and secure with, at least in my car, with no problems with movement when pressing the buttons or anything.

Total cost, not counting the original DashHawk purchase - $0
Total tools needed to mount - anything to cut the aluminum bracket- dremmel, hack saw, jig saw, reciprocating saw, whatever
Skills needed - trust me, if you own a DashHawk, your over-qualified...

Mandatory Pics:

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
I really like this mounting location. I've had mine fixed on top of the steering column, just in front of the gauge cluster. It works well, but I don't really care for the way it looks.
I just painted my DH housing black, so I'm interested in fixing a more permanent location for it. I like the pod CPE has made, and I'd like one. But, at the same time, I like being able to remove the DH from the sunlight in the summer, because I've had it tarnish the LCD in the past.

Anyway, this is my fav mounting job/location yet, and I think I'll try it.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
I really like this mounting location. I've had mine fixed on top of the steering column, just in front of the gauge cluster. It works well, but I don't really care for the way it looks...
I like that location too. I basically want it in my line of sight, or close enough such that I'm not looking away from the road. I honestly don't look at my (defogger pod) boost gauge that often because you can't see if a kid or grown moron pedestrian will try to run across the street from the right. And when you're going WOT, it's best to look straight ahead (esp in/around the city) imho.

TiGray, how did you mount that? It looks like you wedged the mounting bracket between the plastic thing that covers the speedo/tach and the molding? I can't really tell.

It looks like it really easy to watch it, and your line of sight isn't off the road much... is that true?

Thxxxx!!

BTW: I was showing my gf some pics last nights, and she didn't like the location on the center steering wheel. She's like "I don't like that at ALL!" LMAO!! She doesn't have a say either way, but I thought it was funny that she had such a strong opinion about where my DH will be! lol

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Glad ya'll like it-

Yup, is just a tension fit.

The aluminum bracket that ships with the DH will tension fit a wide variety of spots in that general area, and because it's tension fit, you can live with several different spots for a few days at a time. Once you settle on a location you can then trim the bracket to get a nice tight fit like in the pics shown in the original post- bracket was trimmed just over an inch in those.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Glad ya'll like it-

Yup, is just a tension fit.

The aluminum bracket that ships with the DH will tension fit a wide variety of spots in that general area, and because it's tension fit, you can live with several different spots for a few days at a time. Once you settle on a location you can then trim the bracket to get a nice tight fit like in the pics shown in the original post- bracket was trimmed just over an inch in those.
Sweet! Thanks for the clarifying. I haven't ordered mine yet, so I don't know what the bracket looks like. It looks like velcro (call me Sherlock) keeping it in place... Is it the longer part of the mount that you just cleaved off an inch from? It looks like the mount is "designed" to have longer part on attached to the DH... So you just flipped it 90 degrees, and cut an inch off the long end that's wedged inbetween the dash there?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Just put it in here! Hmmm, that's what she said....

Attachments

Reactions: dougefresh_

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Just put it in here! Hmmm, that's what she said....
For the last time, get your mind out of the gutter Forzda, and into that excel sheet w/ the theory you were supposed to read!!! LOL j/k buddy :p

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
I painted my DH black, like Sixium (is he even an MS6 owner anymore?), and have it mounted very similar to Ti's method seen in this thread.
I'll post a pic tomorrow evening after work. I have to say, it looks tits painted, if you do it well.
Anyway, thanks to Ti for this brilliant method!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts