Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...ever since I got my 6s, it has this weird, funky sewer-like smell coming from the vents when standing at stoplights. I can also smell it outside the car when I park it. It smells with or without the A/C on. It is NOT the famous post-A/C smell you get in most cars after you've stopped using the A/C.

I am guessing it is the exhaust (cats?) breaking in and the smell getting pulled into the vents? It seems to be getting worse and it stinks like sh!t (both literally and figuratively). Perhaps a visit to the dealer is in order? And no, leaving the car in air circulation mode is not an option, because it tends to fog up windows and necessitates using the A/C all the time.

Anyone else have such stinker? BTW I have only about 850 miles on the car right now.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Reading Topic: My car stinks!

That's just the assembly lubricant burning off the engine. After about a thousand miles it should go away. If it doesn't, take it to the dealer to have the smell checked out.

-Alt

·
Registered
286 Posts
Replying to Topic 'My car stinks!'

My car stopped smelling a couple hundred miles ago. Where did the new-car smell go?!??!?

·
Registered
157 Posts

Had the same smell with my car, it dissapears after a while so dont need to worry.

·
Registered
25 Posts

need not worry...sounds like you are describing the "catalytic convertor" exhaust emissions... does it kinda smell like rotten eggs? if so ,this could be the source... its normal for it to stink though ,, i dont think it should be anything to worry about..

:D

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

LOL... I don't think shower is what I need, but the car could use some deodorant because it friggin stinks!

keerooo....yes, it does smell like rotten eggs. If it's exhaust, how the hell does the smell get into the cabin? Design flaw? Or maybe it is some engine lubricant like others have said?

I will give it some time, but if it doesn't stop in the next few hundred miles, I'll pay my dealer a visit.

·
Registered
315 Posts

Rotton eggs is the high sulfer content in some blends of gasoline in the US. We seem to have a higher level of it in our gas. It's a byproduct of the catalytic conversion. Normally, it's a smell out the exhaust and you may get a small whiff of it. But, if it's that strong in the cabin while you are driving (this is the scenario right?); then you may want to have them check for an exhaust leak post CAT. There will be at least 2 maybe even 3 in this car.

Tome

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Actually, the smell gets pulled into the cabin through the air vents when the car is standing still, like at a stoplight. No other car I've ever had stunk like this so either it's something breaking-in or a defect. Either way, it's not normal.

·
Registered
315 Posts

I may have mislead you. If the smell is coming in while driving, meaning the road, then it could still be an exhaust leak. Modern cat setups put the cats close to the exhaust manifold which is very near the cabin. If there is a leak then it could be coming in.

Also, you may have a clogged charcoal fuel Evaporator.
I've heard of this clogging, but it smells more of gasoline.
Sounds like you should take it in.

Tome

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts

I do have the same problem as well. I will park and get out and smell it after the car is turned off. I am not sure if the smell gets trapped in the car when I leave, but I soon as I get back in the car I can smell it right away. It disappates quickly, but its still there. It last happened at around 1200 miles.. And Im at 1700 now, so hopefully its still not there.

·
Registered
315 Posts

Sometimes a certain batch of gasoline will cause this problem. I've noticed it on other cars.
I've heard people say that it goes away when they change where they get gas.

Of course, there is the possiblity of a cat going bad.

Tome

·
Registered
980 Posts

My cousin bought an Acura RSX sometimes in the summer and he has the same problem with this rotten eggs smell. He doesnt get it as frequently any more but his car still smells from time to time. He took it to the dealership and they said it was a leak from the cat. converter. I dont know if this is the same problem that you are experiencing.

·
Registered
157 Posts

Mazda sent out an airfreshner thing to stick in the car but was too late since the smell had already gone. I only noticed it after the 2nd day after delivery of the car it came through the vents now it has that new car smell of the interior fittings and glue.....and the apple scent airfreshner thingy.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

I also have this smell. Haven't really had time to figure it all out, but it has the cat smell from it. Even while driving, so I wonder what it's all about...

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'My car stinks!'

Hmm the only smell comming from our car is the new car smell.... Has never smelled bad..
Sometimes, when washing with windshield washer fluid, it smells even better :)

Seems strange. Our car is one of the verys firsts 6's deliverd to Sweden, and we havn't had any problems yet, such as rattles, CEL or smells. Not even rust on the brakes, that I have seen on most american cars. And our car has gone over 50% of the time in snow/salty conditions...

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'My car stinks!'

Have you made sure that there isn't a cat cooking under the hood?

Those with the smell, are you sure it isn't you?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts