Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EDIT- 5/14/07 - I just totalled my car. It's a crappy feeling, but there was nothing I could do and i'm just glad everyone was alright. Hopefully I can get a new 6 a start over.

Edit. Pictures forthcoming, once i get the DDE's wired up. thanks to everyone for all the help.

Should I use a high gloss black or a flat black paint to paint my headlight housings? I think the high gloss might look better. Also, some people have mentioned that after they painted it looked like a dark grey instead of black, is there anything i can do to make sure that that doesn't happen? Lastly, tommorow i'm blacking out the headlights and installing the DDE's, i've reasearched pretty well and I think I know what i'm doing, but does anyone have any helpful advice or any heads ups before I start? Thanks.

·
Registered
690 Posts
i'd pick flat black if you are gonna leave the outer "rings" chrome, but i would use gloss if you are painting the whole thing.
me and a few other members painted it leaving the rings chrome.

silpherh on this board has a glacier silver done that way too (flat black with rings unpainted), i'll dig up some pix for ya

edit:

here are the pix,

Latest pic
[attachment=19878:DSC00324a.jpg]

older pix,
[attachment=19876:DSCF0007.JPG]
[attachment=19877:DSCF0011.JPG]

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have an '06 and u know they come with the black headlights already, but I took a close look at them and everything inside is flat-black. Dont know if this helps, but they look great flat black and the shinning rings.

·
Registered
690 Posts
haha ya, we were the only few who had the black with chrome rings when we "custom" did them, then the 06 came out and we were kinda sad, haha

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
I would recommend you remove your bulbs. I've never heard of anyone leaving them in during the baking process. I don't honestly know if it would be detrimental but I figure why risk it.
I had the flat black look occur because I put a clear coat enamel spray on after the black paint. If you skip the clear coat, you should be okay assuming you use a high gloss engine enamel paint in the first place.
Good luck!
-Dave

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Heat gun FTW and you only need to remove the turn signal bulb if your using a heat gun. Also if you have any questions on the halos feel free to pm me ive installed em like 10 times now so I know a great deal of the whole process.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.