Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys would not believe what was going through my mind this morning.

Let me give a little bit of background first. I live in a condo complex, where parking is always difficult. This week, though, they've been doing some maintenance on a few of the parking areas, making it even more difficult. They had about 20 or 25 spaces blocked off, as well as entrances to people's garages, so those who would normally park in their garage were also having to fight for parking. It was not a pretty sight. My fiancee and I own a condo with a 1-car garage, so since her car is smaller (Mazda Protege); she gets the garage, and I park outside.

Well, last night when I got home, there was absolutly no parking anywhere in the complex, or even out on the street for almost a mile. And I wasn't about to leave my car that far away, especially with some computer equipment inside for a job I was doing the next day. So I did like about a half dozen other people were doing, and parked in front of our garage. This is a normally a no-no according to our homeowners association's rules. But I figured if everyone else was doing it, and because of the situation caused by the resurfacing, they wouldn't enforce the rules.

WRONG!

I nearly had a heart attack when I walked outside and went to the front of the garage, and my 6 was GONE! My first thought was that it had gotten stolen. But then I noticed that the other two vehicles that were parked outside their garages on the same section of the complex were also gone. I called the police anyway, and they told me it had been towed. So I called the towing company, and sure enough, it was there. My fiancee had already left for work, so I had no choice but to call a cab and get driven down to the impound yard. $25 for the taxi ride, and $135 to get my 6 back. What a way to start a Friday! I checked the car out, though, and there was no damage. At least the towing company was (apparently) careful!

One thing I did notice, though, was that the parking brake had been released. Is that something that can be done from underneath the car? They didn't get inside the car, because if they had, my alarm would've gone off, and that car's horn is LOUD! I certainly would've heard it.

On the bright side, when the guy at the cashier's office asked what car was mine, and I said it was a silver Mazda, he goes "Oh, the 6? Wow, I was wondering about that car. It's really cool-looking!"

And then, when I was driving to work, I saw another 6! A black one, parked by a meter. And there was a meter maid writing up a ticket!!!! Must be some unlucky 6 owners around here.....

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Reading Topic: My baby got towed!!!!!

Ouch, that sucks dude. I'd go ask the complex owners about getting you $$ back, its not your fault they are resurfacing and doing the maintenance work. As for the parking break, I'd be interested too in knowing how they did that, it seems a little unsafe to be able to do that on a car, someone could easily jack it with the right equipment. What you need though is an aftermarket alarm. They'd never get the car on the tow truck without waking up the whole place :)

·
Registered
534 Posts

"Is that something that can be done from underneath the car? They didn't get inside the car, because if they had, my alarm would've gone off, and that car's horn is LOUD! I certainly would've heard it."

If you are talking about the stock alarm, I don't think it would have gone off. Those alarms that the manufacturer put in are overglorified keyless entry systems and they don't have a mercury switch or anything like that for kicking off the alarm for situations like being towed away

·
Registered
126 Posts

Rowdy, I think what he means is the alarm should go off if someone forced their way into the car to unlatch the emergency brake without using the key. There's probably a cable underneath that can be moved to disengage the brake, right?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Replying to Topic 'My baby got towed!!!!!'

Originally posted by Mazda_Gremlyn

Ouch, that sucks dude. I'd go ask the complex owners about getting you $$ back, its not your fault they are resurfacing and doing the maintenance work.[/b]
Ohhhhhh, believe me, I have every intention of doing so! I called the association yesterday morning right after it happened, but the person who was in charge of parking-related issues was out on Jury Duty. I will be following up next week, though, and also possibly sending in a formal written complaint/request about it.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Originally posted by Rowdy

If you are talking about the stock alarm, I don't think it would have gone off.  Those alarms that the manufacturer put in are overglorified keyless entry systems and they don't have a mercury switch or anything like that for kicking off the alarm for situations like being towed away[/b]
I have an aftermarket keyless entry system that has more features than the factory-installed system, which was added on in conjunction with the factory system. I don't know if the factory system by itself would do this, but with my setup, if I locked it using my remote, and suppose a window was open and someone reached in and unlocked one of the doors from the inside. As soon as they unlocked it (you wouldn't even have to actually open the door); the horn would start blaring. So my thinking was that if they either used a Slim Jim to unlock the door, or pried the door open enough to get to the power lock button or to the lock button itself, they would've set off the alarm. But I suspect they must have released the brake from underneath the car, because even though the brake was off, the car was still in gear, so they definitely towed it with the rear axle on the ground.

·
Registered
736 Posts

Well, I do know that tow truck drivers carry master keys for every car so that is one way that he could have been able to get in. Obviously the chances of that are relatively low considering your army of alarms you have installed. So, my guess is that the tow truck driver probably had some kind of alarm deactivater and used that in conjunction with the Mazda master key. S/He probably locked it up for good measure at the lot.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Originally posted by Gecko_2k2

Well, I do know that tow truck drivers carry master keys for every car so that is one way that he could have been able to get in. Obviously the chances of that are relatively low considering your army of alarms you have installed. So, my guess is that the tow truck driver probably had some kind of alarm deactivater and used that in conjunction with the Mazda master key. S/He probably locked it up for good measure at the lot.[/b]
Hmm, that's possible. My alarm will go off if the door is unlocked from the *inside* without disarming, but if you unlock the door with the key, it disables the factory alarm automatically. At least, I know it does that if you use the key with the chip in it; I'm not sure if it would do it with any old key or not. So anyway, it'll disable the factory alarm, but my aftermarket system will still be active, which just means you wouldn't be able to start the car. (The aftermarket system is not an alarm; it's just a keyless entry system with starter kill.)

Regardless of how they did it, they somehow did, but at least they did it without damaging the car. That was my main concern.. whew!

Now, my secondary concern is getting ahold of our association to complain and possibly get my fee reimbursed...

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

I'll be pissed if my car is ever towed NOT on a flatbed. Its in your manual as well, says to never tow with wheels spinning.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts