Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
8,494 Posts
Lately I've just been working on the Daytona. I bought louvers and a spoiler from an old guy recently and I think they look pretty nice!
[/url]
Damn! Never thought I'd see one of those ever again... Nice!

These were super fun, and now super rare...

A neighbor bought one of these brand-new when I was growing up, and I bet he still has it, since he stored it in winter.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Very nice, and functional. The rake on that back window turns that thing into a green house like few cars experience.

I saw one of these the other day and thought of you. They are getting pretty rare.
I love the Rampage! I've never actually seen one in person before. I don't think they were popular in this region and any that were around likely were eaten by rust in short order. If I ever see a cheap one close by I'll definitely buy it...

·
Banned
7 Posts
I bought my sweet Dodge Daytona back in December for $700. T-tops, 5-speed manual. While not fast, as a lover of the '80s and heavy metal, I couldn't pass it up. I did the matte black vinyl, some bondo, paint touchups, painted the wheels, changed the plugs and wires, and installed the power window switch. I had never worked on a car before and now I can't stop, haha. Any other Mopar fans here?

That's a nice car. It might go up in value down the road. You got a great deal. Plan to make improvements on it?

__
is the fbi satan in disguise?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
That's a nice car. It might go up in value down the road. You got a great deal. Plan to make improvements on it?

__
is the fbi satan in disguise?
Thanks! Cosmetically, it looks completely different from when I bought it. I wrapped the hood, and added the big rear spoiler and the louvers and did a TON of paint touchup. There's not a lot you can do performance wise to the NA version. I've put on an upgraded exhaust and added a K&N drop in filter. Not much more you can do really short of porting the throttle body or swapping the engine entirely, which I'm not doing. I guess I could upgrade the rear brakes to discs, but I don't really see the point since it's not a fast car anyway. If I came across a reasonably priced turbo (or V6) Daytona that isn't rusted out I would buy that in a second and sell this one, but that's unlikely in this part of the country.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I've been getting the Daytona up to snuff since it's getting warmer (finally), so I got to take it out after putting on Cooper Cobras tires, the wheel center caps and a full detail. Loving it!

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
@MazdaMetalhead Nice. Look at all that sidewall. And white letters on top of it. Well done sir.
One benefit to having a ton of rubber on there (and all matching tires for once!) is that it doesn't rattle the teeth out of my head at highway speeds now!

·
Rally Racer
2,533 Posts
One benefit to having a ton of rubber on there (and all matching tires for once!) is that it doesn't rattle the teeth out of my head at highway speeds now!
That's for sure. You can feel a bit like a skipper in the wind as well. Love leaning into those things on corners with that gradual progression into slide.

Great license plates by the way.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts

·
Administrator
8,494 Posts
Not just you...

Cars simply had smaller diameter wheels with taller sidewall tires because tire technology was sorely lacking back then, and cars were also styled around smaller wheels/tires.

The biggest change in tires for years in the mid-late 20th century was from using bias-ply to radials. Within the past 30 or so years, the uses of more exotic materials bonded to the rubber allowed for thicker and stronger sidewalls, which then allowed them to be shorter, which led to bigger wheels, etc...

21 - 31 of 31 Posts