Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my sweet Dodge Daytona back in December for $700. T-tops, 5-speed manual. While not fast, as a lover of the '80s and heavy metal, I couldn't pass it up. I did the matte black vinyl, some bondo, paint touchups, painted the wheels, changed the plugs and wires, and installed the power window switch. I had never worked on a car before and now I can't stop, haha. Any other Mopar fans here?

Attachments

·
Rally Racer
1,982 Posts
Nice. In high school I tooled around in a Dodge Omni GLHS with the turbo controller out of the Shelby Daytona automatic. That sucker would give you 16 lbs of boost for almost 2 seconds as a peak. Never really seen torque steer quite like that but it was crazy fast for the time.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice. In high school I tooled around in a Dodge Omni GLHS with the turbo controller out of the Shelby Daytona automatic. That sucker would give you 16 lbs of boost for almost 2 seconds as a peak. Never really seen torque steer quite like that but it was crazy fast for the time.
Awesome!
I think Omnis are great. My parents bought an 89 (I think?) when I was really young. When we moved back to Maine my dad would let us sit on his lap and drive the Omni on the lake when it was frozen in winter.

·
Rally Racer
1,982 Posts
Awesome!
I think Omnis are great. My parents bought an 89 (I think?) when I was really young. When we moved back to Maine my dad would let us sit on his lap and drive the Omni on the lake when it was frozen in winter.
What a great memory. Driving on a frozen lake would freak me out! I would do it however because the science says it's okay.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What a great memory. Driving on a frozen lake would freak me out! I would do it however because the science says it's okay.
I was too young to be afraid of the ice breaking, I just was just thrilled to be "driving." What makes me more nervous is that people will drill big holes in the ice and sit in a heated shack while ice fishing. THAT seems risky.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
My first car was a 1963 Valiant wagon. 4th car was a 1964 Valiant coupe. Have a 1966 Valiant coupe in the garage awaiting a restore. Good memories in that generation of A-body.

I always liked the styling of the 80s era Daytona, even if there wasn't much substance behind the looks. Have fun!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My first car was a 1963 Valiant wagon. 4th car was a 1964 Valiant coupe. Have a 1966 Valiant coupe in the garage awaiting a restore. Good memories in that generation of A-body.

I always liked the styling of the 80s era Daytona, even if there wasn't much substance behind the looks. Have fun!
Nice! The Valiants were so dignified looking. So classic.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh yeah, and you probably can't really see the license plate but it reads "JDS-PRST," after legendary heavy metal band Judas Priest.

·
Rally Racer
1,982 Posts

[insert shock emoji here] Not much substance you say?

The Daytona Shelby Turbo Z (turbo II) was a beast. You had to go to Porsche 944, Nissan 280ZX, RX7 Turbo II, or Camaro Z28 to get performance like that and certainly not for the price. At a 174HP in turbo II trim and up in the 190's HP for the final iteration (Turbo IV). I will say there was a lot to be desired and driving one of these early turbo cars was like trying to tame a rabid Tasmanian Devil when the boost came on but if you didn't torque steer into incoming and end up as a yard sale of Mopar debris it was immensely thrilling.

:wink2:

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

The Daytona Shelby Turbo Z (turbo II) was a beast. You had to go to Porsche 944, Nissan 280ZX, RX7 Turbo II, or Camaro Z28 to get performance like that and certainly not for the price. At a 174HP in turbo II trim and up in the 190's HP for the final iteration (Turbo IV). I will say there was a lot to be desired and driving one of these early turbo cars was like trying to tame a rabid Tasmanian Devil when the boost came on but if you didn't torque steer into incoming and end up as a yard sale of Mopar debris it was immensely thrilling.

The Shelby Daytonas were 100% badass. If I recall, they were eating the V8s of the era (which were pathetic mostly) for breakfast since they were so light. Sadly, I only have the base 2.5L, which is a reliable engine and was in a TON of Mopar models at the time so parts are easy to order. Strangely, I actually like the look of my Daytona without the plastic body kits the turbos had.

At the end of its life, the Daytona was offered with a V6 option. I would LOVE to hear/drive that, although they're probably pretty rare. And they wouldn't have the popup headlights, which are a big selling point for me, haha.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I remember the 1992 Plymouth Duster 2dr with the 3.0L V6 and a 5spd that I drove for 4 yrs. What a little rocketship that car was! It handled terribly and the torque steer was scary, but it could keep up with cars that cost twice as much, lol.

·
Rally Racer
1,982 Posts
I remember the 1992 Plymouth Duster 2dr with the 3.0L V6 and a 5spd that I drove for 4 yrs. What a little rocketship that car was! It handled terribly and the torque steer was scary, but it could keep up with cars that cost twice as much, lol.

Oh yah, I believe that was a Mitsubishi motor.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Yeah, it was a SOHC as well, they were known to smoke a bit from valve seals but would take tons of abuse. There;s a guy on Youtube that regularly turbo's them to death at 500whp+, lol. I attached a picture the car I had but not the actual car I had.

Attachments

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice. On a related note, the first car I bought was a teal '91 Dodge Shadow 5spd. Not fast either but I loved it. After about two years it was going through about a quart of oil every other day.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts

lol, you did bring up the black sheep of the family. Should have known better

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lately I've just been working on the Daytona. I bought louvers and a spoiler from an old guy recently and I think they look pretty nice!
[/url]

·
Rally Racer
1,982 Posts
Lately I've just been working on the Daytona. I bought louvers and a spoiler from an old guy recently and I think they look pretty nice!

Very nice, and functional. The rake on that back window turns that thing into a green house like few cars experience.

I saw one of these the other day and thought of you. They are getting pretty rare.

·
Registered
221 Posts
My better (at least looking) half is a Dodge snob, and is determined to get every once possible out of an 02 Caravan regardless of the fact that the kids are all grown up and moved out. Currently Bessie is at 300K; and repairs average out to under 100/year.
Of course Bernie (my 03 6i) does the majority of driving these days

1 - 20 of 25 Posts