Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since Honda has inflated what a V6 MT get gas mileage wise I have chosen to ride this to work and out whenever I can.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...TRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

I am using the ebay bike as an example. I got a blue 05 at home.

the Sticker says 21 30 hwy on my Accord. I have never seen over 25. The one time I got 25 was on a long freeway ride.

My bike got 48 mpg last fillup.

I think all car makers lie on the sticker. I drive mostly half hwy/city. :swearin: :swearin:

·
Registered
383 Posts
My 6 gets 21-22 when driven like a grandma on the highway. When I drive like a bat out of hell (most of the time) I get 20-21. Needless to say, I'm not too happy with the mileage.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
its a v6.. what do you expect.

My gf's mom gets as low as 13mpg in her lexus es300 on her commute to work( all local driving) And trust me she never ever pushes it.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
My 6 gets 21-22 when driven like a grandma on the highway. When I drive like a bat out of hell (most of the time) I get 20-21. Needless to say, I'm not too happy with the mileage.
[/b]
off topic but that means that my speed6 gets better milage than a regular6 along with a buttload more hp and AWD? score!

BTW I get 19 hard driving and 24 granny driving.

·
Registered
978 Posts
i bet you're trying to drive as quickly as your 6 went which forces you to be at full throttle all the time in the accord... :nana: are you sure you haven't forgotten that you have a sixth gear?

i'm surprised that the mileage is about what i'm getting in the 6...ok, i don't feel so bad. so what else do you like/ dislike about your new ride?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i bet you're trying to drive as quickly as your 6 went which forces you to be at full throttle all the time in the accord... :nana: are you sure you haven't forgotten that you have a sixth gear?

i'm surprised that the mileage is about what i'm getting in the 6...ok, i don't feel so bad. so what else do you like/ dislike about your new ride?
[/b]

Only thing is bad mileage and higher payments.

·
Registered
383 Posts
off topic but that means that my speed6 gets better milage than a regular6 along with a buttload more hp and AWD? score!

BTW I get 19 hard driving and 24 granny driving.
[/b]
ANOTHER reason for me to upgrade to a MS6!!! :)

[/b]
I've driven the Honda V6 6 speed. In a straight line, at full throttle, the Accord would pull on a V6 Mazda.

·
Registered
86 Posts

[/b]
Dont put down the Accord THAT much. Mazda 6s has 220 bhp. The Accord EX V6 has 240. Its slightly heavier and not quite as tuned but its not far off of the 6. Hell the Hybrid Accord V6 has 235 bhp.

IMO the Accord V6 is a great car. It will run forever (which is more then i can say ive heard about the 6). Its quieter on the inside, more luxurious overall. Im sure there are some spots that the 6 shines and vice versa. Before I found my 6 I looked long and hard at an Accord V6. The only reason I chose the 6 over the Accord is because I've already owned 3 Accords and was looking for a change. The prices were pretty much even AND insurance was cheaper on the Accord COUPE!!!!! Don't get me wrong I absolutely adore my car and my next car will more then likely be a Speed6 but the Accord is definitely not a bad car in any way, shape or form.

·
Registered
823 Posts
its a v6.. what do you expect.

My gf's mom gets as low as 13mpg in her lexus es300 on her commute to work( all local driving) And trust me she never ever pushes it.
[/b]
I am glad you finished the begining of that sentence with "in her lexus", because I read it up to the 13mpg, and was curious how you measured that...

I get approx 19-20 mpg in my v6, and it's 95% city driving and I'm not lite in the foot. It's better than what I got in my previous two cars, and looks better too. Zoom zoom for the win!

·
Registered
165 Posts

[/b]

Except....it's the other way around, seeing how the accord V6 is faster than the V6 mazda6.

I don't know man...it could be a combination of driving habit, weather conditions, or maintenance.

The RSX base manual is rated at 27/33, and...with maybe at most 10% highway driving, I'm able to achieve around 30 mpg. This is with almost all conservative driving, mild weather conditions, and no a/c use. Keep in mind that you can help/hurt your mpg with different tire pressures....I actually overinflate mine by 2-3 psi, which could be one reason why I'm getting above the EPA rated mpg.

·
Registered
978 Posts
i know the accord is faster than our 6 especially in a straight line. i was just giving ya shit for selling your 6...the accord coupe mtx made my short list when i was in the market. there were a lot of things that i really liked about it; one of them being better mileage. i would think the car is still pretty new so maybe the mileage will increase as it breaks in.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I dont hear alot of talk about fuel quality in these types of threads. I can tell easily if I fill with a questionable fuel by my mileage as I drive the same route and put on higher than ave miles. For me BP is easily most consistent.
My current MSP6 gets 25.5-26+ on 92-93 oct average in hills and moderate juicing of the motor (mostly two lane highway but city also three times per day). ON a trip last weekend I attained 29.3 all freeway at 75mph the whole way.
Ive owned two Mazda 6S manuals prior to this collectively driven over sixty thousand miles and ALWAYS got 24.5+ mpg using 87oct on them. The speed is slightly better and I would peg it at about 10% more efficient overall. Nice thing for me is that I really dont see a price jump for the premium since the mpg offsets just about perfectly.
If you guys arent seeing over twenty, and assuming your fuel is clean, I would suggest starting some diagnostics...if you want more mpg.
Hope this helped.

·
Registered
990 Posts
How many miles do you have on the Accord? Maybe its not fully broken in yet.

Or maybe you should lay off the throttle a bit :D We used to have a '00 Civic Si....it was amazing the difference in mpg when my wife would drive it (not slow, but not very aggressive either) & when I would drive it (redlining 1st & 2nd & well into 3rd...just about every chance I got).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
11 Participants
gdspc
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing