Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so a while back i had gotten a new set of tires, and all of a sudden my steering had gotten soft. it used to be firm and responsive no matter how fast i was going. But ever since these past 2 sets of tires my steering is soft and i really dont like it. Is there a quick explanation to fix the mushy steering? mayb change the powersteering fluid?

·
Registered
440 Posts
QUOTE (mtosofsky @ Jan 8 2010, 02:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1628259
Ok so a while back i had gotten a new set of tires, and all of a sudden my steering had gotten soft. it used to be firm and responsive no matter how fast i was going. But ever since these past 2 sets of tires my steering is soft and i really dont like it. Is there a quick explanation to fix the mushy steering? mayb change the powersteering fluid?[/b]
What kind of tires are u on now? Check pressure as well, make sure your up to OEM specs.

B

·
Registered
619 Posts
either tire pressure, or differences in tire design (did you switch brands/models?) can make huge differences

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the tire pressure is always filled and refilled to oem specs. but the oem tires on the car were michelins. than i put low-pro sumitomos. now i have yokohama touring tires. and my steering has never been tight since. i read on the forums that changing the PS fluid could help/

·
Registered
619 Posts
the yoko touring tires is probably your issue... I had yk520s on my car before this and by comparison steering was vague... increasing the psi a few did help to get some of the responsiveness back

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sounds like a decent place to start. i believe the factory psi should be 32. what would be a good number to raise it to?

·
Registered
619 Posts
I think I raised it to 34-35

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
alright cool, thanks Nate. one more thing, the rims you have, those are the rims off the new miata's correct? they look really good and i want to get some new rims and keep 17's but i want something light weight

·
Registered
440 Posts
I had the yk520s also for mine (05 6i) and they were the XL's and I agree those tires never felt good but they did last a while.

B

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea i have yk530's. I miss the grip from my sumitomos, however i dont miss the wear. they died after like 10,000 miles because i drive enthusiastically. my friends make fun of me now and say im rolling like a cx-7 =[

·
Registered
619 Posts
QUOTE (mtosofsky @ Jan 9 2010, 01:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1628461
alright cool, thanks Nate. one more thing, the rims you have, those are the rims off the new miata's correct? they look really good and i want to get some new rims and keep 17's but i want something light weight[/b]
they are indeed - from the 2006-2008 model years I believe

they are lightweight too, 17x7 +55

1 - 11 of 11 Posts