Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, had a few questions about some mods for my '04 6s. I tried posting in the newbie section first but only received 1 response, of which was completely useless. Thanks in advance!

Tint:

Do legal limits for tints vary between states? If so, anyone know the limit for CA?
Where do you usually get tinting done? I see various local shops around town that say they can do it, but not sure if I can trust them. Wasn't sure if there was a bigger named company that could do it.

HID's

Been looking at multiple installation guides for installing HID's in my '04 6s, and all involve some sort of drilling through the back enclosure of the headlights. Is this confirmed to be a true step in the process?
When you've installed them, do you install them for both low and high beams? I figured installing just the low beams may make it look a bit out of place, but wasn't sure.
Also, anyone have a recommendation (ie actual website/product name) for a good kit? (Good=warranty, fairly priced, has lasted long so far, no issues during installation, etc)

Grills

Trying to find a badgeless grill that would go well with white: White or black? Mesh or the single/double horizontal bar across the center?

Silly color question

My 6 is white, is it actually performance white or is there a different kind of white? Just want to get proper nomenclature.

Sorry for the long post, but any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Tint legality is different state to state.

In california it is illegal to have front side windows tinted, unless you have a medical reason and then up to 37% tint is legal if i i am remembering correctly.

Most of the time unless you give an officer another reason to pull you over they wont bother you because of tint, However, CHP will pull you over for it in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Used03M6s's information on tint is correct. you have to check with the state sometimes even the county for the tint regulations.

As for the HIDs. You do have to make a hole for the wiring that goes from the original headlight wiring to the Ballast( metal looking box needed for HID conversion. ) the ballast is required to raise the voltage higher than you regular halogen runs off of. Thats why when you see HIDs turn on they start off dim and get brighter within a few seconds.
I drilled a hole through the circular cap, not the oval one. it is needed unless you can find a ballast that can fit inside the headlight bezel. And don't look too hard because they don't exist.

Replace only your lowbeams with HIDs, There are several reasons for this.
For one, you don't use your highbeams enough for this to be needed. Infact most of your highbeam's life you use just to flash the asshole who cut you off or signal someone the right away. Remember that warm up time i mentioned? well this would work against your flashyness. Because by the time your (highbeam)HIDs warm up, that asshole would've gotten away without knowing his wrong doing...
Also, Your highbeams are you standard DOT reflector system, not lenses like our lowbeams. In other words it works like a flash light instead of a spot light(sorta) Putting HIDs in these not only looks stupid, but I believe it is illegal. I cant exaclty remember where, but I read that putting and HID light anywhere where an OEM halogen was, is illegal. The reason why us Mazda people get away with it so easily is because we have projector lenses for our lowbeams(don't quote me on this info, i'm not sure if it is correct or not). Projector lenses do a lot better job at distributing the light better than that flash light nonsense IMO.
I purchased my HID kit from ebay, I didn't spend more than $50 on a kit with a 10 year warranty. Other users do suggest more expensive brands, but I am very satisfied with my kit. the only problem I had with it was the idiot seller and his excuses and bad shipping practices. But I settled it with. If you do go down my route remember that if you leave bad feedback on your seller, it voids your warranty.
Some suggestions would include researching a 55watt kit vs a 35watt kit. Of course the bigger the number the brighter, I have a 35watt kit and it lights up the road pretty good.
Sorry I cannot give you the seller info or brand name, its no longer in my ebay history...

·
Registered
18 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts