Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that have the muffler delete or straight pumped exhaust on a 2.3 liter 4 cylinder Mazda 6 how does it sound? I you tubed many of times on this and it just hard to tell the true sound from my phone or computer using YouTube the exhaust guy that I'm going to take it to says it will mostly give off a ricer sound but I just want to hear from experience people that actually have it done on what for sound it gives off

·
Registered
597 Posts
Dont personally have a muffler delete or straight pipe but deleting the muffler would be your best bet if you want jus a little more rumble. A straight piped 2.3 is comparable to a straight piped honda civic that is really high pitched and loud and just straight annoying.

Planning on going with the muffler delete in the next few weeks.

Ill try get some of the guys that i kno have done the delete to chime in.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok sounds good and thanks

·
Registered
597 Posts
Ok sounds good and thanks
Anytime man...if you really wanna hear the difference between the two heres a vid thats a close representation to the difference in straight pipes from the header to having a setup with a resonator and cat in the mix.

Now keep in mind, the owner of this particular vehicle is running aftermarket headers,cat and resonator but you can tell the difference in tone between a true straight pipe as opposed to running a cat and resonator.

Now if u had a V6 that would be an entirely different story in itself.lol. After hearing a straight piped V6 I kicced myself for not opting with the V6 model...but now a days I get reminded why I opted away from the V6 when I see the gas prices in Hawaii.lol

·
Registered
684 Posts
Just unbolt the mufflers and check the sound @Isnt has straight pipes iirc. I couldn't got that route I went with magnapack mufflers and love them

·
Registered
9 Posts
I went to my local muffler shop about a month ago and asked him to drop off the mufflers and just run some straight pipe instead. Cost me all of about $70. It sounds absolutely wonderful and I love it! I would recommend doing it. It's pretty cheap and it makes it sound a little more "beefy" as I call it lol. It takes on more of a deeper sound, and not so much a riced out Civic.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have to agree with jbeezy68. I just did this yesterday. Local shop charged me $40 to chop off the mufflers and replace with pipe. Sounds really deep. I will say it still sounds a little less open or "treble-ey" than i want but for $40 its awesome. It in NO WAY is ricey sounding. There is some drone but its not bad. Full exhaust in about 3 months for my b-day so this will do just fine till then :)

·
Registered
597 Posts
I went to my local muffler shop about a month ago and asked him to drop off the mufflers and just run some straight pipe instead. Cost me all of about $70. It sounds absolutely wonderful and I love it! I would recommend doing it. It's pretty cheap and it makes it sound a little more "beefy" as I call it lol. It takes on more of a deeper sound, and not so much a riced out Civic.
I have to agree with jbeezy68. I just did this yesterday. Local shop charged me $40 to chop off the mufflers and replace with pipe. Sounds really deep. I will say it still sounds a little less open or "treble-ey" than i want but for $40 its awesome. It in NO WAY is ricey sounding. There is some drone but its not bad. Full exhaust in about 3 months for my b-day so this will do just fine till then :)
Just an FYI for you guys concerning straight pipe. An actual straight pipe is straight from the headers to the exhaust outlet. No cat,no resonater,no muffler,which in turn,makes the 6 (atleast the 2.3l) sound like a riced out high pitched civic that sounds like its going fast but only happens to be going 20mph.

A muffler delete and a straight piped exhaust are 2 completely different things. Chopping the mufflers and putting a straight pipe IS NOT straight piping.

Not tryna b a dicc,jus saying.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have an MS6 with a 3" turbo back exhaust, w/ cats and mufflers and my car is EXTREMELY loud... not very many cars sound "good" straight piped, especially 4 cyl.... i would find a nice set of mufflers and go to a muffler shop and widen that 2" up to about a 2.5" exhaust and it should sound nice

·
Registered
597 Posts
I have an MS6 with a 3" turbo back exhaust, w/ cats and mufflers and my car is EXTREMELY loud... not very many cars sound "good" straight piped, especially 4 cyl.... i would find a nice set of mufflers and go to a muffler shop and widen that 2" up to about a 2.5" exhaust and it should sound nice
The mazdaspeed6 is an exception to straight piping. Ive heard a straight piped ms6 and it sounded beautiful. Guess its the turbo that gives it that tone,i could be wrong,but I love me a straight piped speed6.

D

·
0 Posts
This might be a stupid question... but wouldn't there be legal ramifications to driving a car without mufflers? I would assume they are there for a reason; ie noise reduction, legal requirements.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just an FYI for you guys concerning straight pipe. An actual straight pipe is straight from the headers to the exhaust outlet. No cat,no resonater,no muffler,which in turn,makes the 6 (atleast the 2.3l) sound like a riced out high pitched civic that sounds like its going fast but only happens to be going 20mph.

A muffler delete and a straight piped exhaust are 2 completely different things. Chopping the mufflers and putting a straight pipe IS NOT straight piping.

Not tryna b a dicc,jus saying.
The thing is neither of us were talking about "straight piping" the car. We both stated we had our mufflers (not resonators) replaced with sections of pipe which is straight and not curved. Next time ill try and be more semantically correct:rolleyes:....jus saying

Reactions: kANAkSz

·
Registered
81 Posts
This might be a stupid question... but wouldn't there be legal ramifications to driving a car without mufflers? I would assume they are there for a reason; ie noise reduction, legal requirements.
not if you live in an area that has no noise or emissions restrictions:)

·
Registered
597 Posts
The thing is neither of us were talking about "straight piping" the car. We both stated we had our mufflers (not resonators) replaced with sections of pipe which is straight and not curved. Next time ill try and be more semantically correct:rolleyes:....jus saying
Lol. Wasnt tryna be disrespectful or rude. Apologies on my part. I guess I jus misinterpreted your guys posts as when I was explaining the "riced out" civic pitch, I meant it as a full straight piping from the headers bak and after reading both other posts stating that you both replaced the muffler with a "straight pipe" and that it sounded nothing like a riced out honda.

Im guessing you meant that compared to a real straight pipe,it sounds nothing like a rice roccet. Oops :p

·
Registered
81 Posts
That sounds awfully loud and crisp to be just a muffler delete. mine is VERY lacking in the trebley noise that this has loads of.

·
Registered
730 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
I got a cold air intake on and the mufflers cut out
That's all!
And it could also just be a bad recording or whatever but it's fairly close to what it's actually like

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
OOOOOOoooohhhh, see im running a bone stock intake and have the muffler delete. The freed up intake would explained the more "open sound". which is freekin sweet btw hahaha

1 - 20 of 24 Posts