Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed my chrome colored part of my shift knob looking more and more like crap as the days go by. I'm assuming it's a plastic piece (gear indicator) painted chrome so the only way to get it to look good again is to repaint it. Or is the part metal and is there a way to bring the shine back out? Who else has a discolored shift knob? (<---i know i'm asking for it, but that's what it's called, i can already see it 'have you tried rubbing it?! :laugh: )

My other and most likely option, I was thinking a getting a new one all together, the silver/black knob perhaps, but how would i keep from this happening again?

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
It is chrome paint, and once it has rubbed off, it is not coming back on. Best bet is to see if the dealer will replace it under warranty...

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
The one you should get updated to it a shinier chrome I think, which is what mine came with to begin with. No fading or rubbing off at all.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is chrome paint, and once it has rubbed off, it is not coming back on. Best bet is to see if the dealer will replace it under warranty...
[/b]
thanks dabears and gremlyn, but what would i even say to get it replaced under warranty? i dont think saying 'it's getting ugly, can you please replace it' would work. I wasn't even aware this was covered under warranty, i just assumed this was wear and tear and therefore not covered.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had the same problem with the shifter in my 2003 6S. Since the Mazda warrantee doesn't usually cover "cosmetic" issues, I didn't even try that route.
The shift pattern insert in the original knob was a "brushed aluminum" finish. The newer version is "chrome".

I replaced mine with the accessory part #GJ6A-V8-170-22.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^^ooooooo, that looks much better. thanks for the part# MPS6-Driver, but i still would like to know how i can get this covered through warranty. if i don't have to pay for it then i won't. dabears? gremlyn?

MPS6-Driver, did you buy it from dealer or online? how much?

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
I'm not saying you WILL get it replaced under warranty, just that I know others have. Complain about it enough and they should do it. Afterall that piece shouldn't wear like that.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would just complain and bitch and moan...

The new piece is $50 from sabrina JimClickmazdaparts.com

MSRP is $70
[/b]
dabears2k, Mazda_Gremlyn, so complaining it the key, i guess i can give it a try. I'll start with some emails, and since i need an oil change soon, i'll complain while i'm there as well. Thnx to those that replied.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Afterall that piece shouldn't wear like that.
[/b]
Sad thing is although we do know this and the dealership probably knows it but it's not up to us to declare whether or not it's normal. I mean at 15k my seats are fraying like i've had them for 100k and I am no where near a big guy.

Your best bet is to bitch and moan like a sore whore and they'll "try" to get it approved.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
i think the chrome is ugly as shit....and the one that we have the aluminum look that first comes with the car is a great match with the center console....but whatever thats my .02..and yeah my shift knob is getting there.....have you seen the Mazda 5 shift knob...very nice IMO, specially if you got the black leather...

if anyone knows if this knob will fit ours or where i can get one please let me know....

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just spring 40 to 50 bucks for a momo on ebay. Its well worth it since you will touch it so much.
[/b]
but i actually like the stock knob, when it looked good that it. not a big fan of chrome really, but if chrome doesn't get ugly then chrome it is. I've seen several aftermarket shift knobs but i've never seen one i like, let alone consider buying.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
8 Participants
SLVR04M6
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing