Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so the last time I really drove a stick for any amount of time was my sisters cavalier z24 with a shot clutch(it was engaging/disengaging all the way from the floor to furthest outward point it was that bad). That was 6 years ago when I only had my learners permit. I test drove a speed6(actually my friend drove off the lot, then we switched for a bit), but anyhow boy what a difference. I stalled it on first 2 tries taking off, that on/off clutch really threw me for a loop, then stalled it again taking off uphill. Overall I think I was okay, just really really rusty. What are your thoughts on someone with such little experience getting such a powerful car? Also, I've been noticing lately how hilly my town is, and I'm wondering how long this car's gonna take for me to get used to taking off uphill without rolling--noone gives people any room in this town, always right on the ass..

Not really to concerned, I know I'll get used to it.. just mildy curious what you all think though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
A few points to help get started with take offs.

*) To make taking off when there's no danger of rolling backwards (i.e. slight incline at the most) easier, rev to 1500-2000 first and then start taking off the clutch, applying more gas as the revs drop. As you get better in judging when the clutch bites, you can release the clutch and apply gas together from the start rather than revving first and then releasing clutch.

*) For uphills I personally recommend using the handbrake. But I live in australia where using handbrake is not that uncommon (required technique to pass a driving test ... and in the UK many people use it when stopping at any red lights). From what I hear, in America its not very 'cool' to use it (but I could be wrong).
Basically get the car in #1 with clutch pressed in and hand brake held up (but button down so easy to release) and right foot over gas. Then rev to ~2000 and let clutch out until it starts biting. Then a bit more gas to get revs up to 2000 again and start letting clutch out as you release hand brake ... and apply more gas. You do need to give it a fair bit of gas uphil.

*) Also when driving in traffic its worth leaving a little bit more of space between you and the car ahead to avoid having to come to a complete stop more often. Also gear #1 on the mz6 is really amazing for creeping forward in traffic at low speeds. Once you are in #1 with the clutch out, the car won't struggle to move at like 3mph (very little gas). A lot of other manuals will start to show signs of stalling at low speeds like that (eg. coughing) .

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I can't understand why you even bother to anwer when you just have shit to say. :slap:

Smoth 23:
You will be fine with the car with some practice. No big deal.
[/b]
No kidding, if you don't like the post, there's a little thing called the BACK button on your browser. I suggest you learn to use it. Saves everyone time having to read purposeless, anger-filled drivel. :hammerhea:

Off your meds today???

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
i need to pwn more noobs soon. fuckin assholes just come in and say shit. if you dont have anything constructive to say, dont say it.

douche.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Okay, so the last time I really drove a stick for any amount of time was my sisters cavalier z24 with a shot clutch(it was engaging/disengaging all the way from the floor to furthest outward point it was that bad). That was 6 years ago when I only had my learners permit. I test drove a speed6(actually my friend drove off the lot, then we switched for a bit), but anyhow boy what a difference. I stalled it on first 2 tries taking off, that on/off clutch really threw me for a loop, then stalled it again taking off uphill. Overall I think I was okay, just really really rusty. What are your thoughts on someone with such little experience getting such a powerful car? Also, I've been noticing lately how hilly my town is, and I'm wondering how long this car's gonna take for me to get used to taking off uphill without rolling--noone gives people any room in this town, always right on the ass..

Not really to concerned, I know I'll get used to it.. just mildy curious what you all think though.
[/b]
Hey smooth23, ignore Billy Baldone's reply. 99.9% of the members of this forum are really helpful and considerate.

Issue with the clutch take up is a common occurrence with the MS6. There has been a lot of discussion about it here. Many owners think it could be much better. Do a search of this and the Engine/Drivetrain forum and you'll find lots of comments.

However, if you do decide to get a Speed6, you won't have to accept the clutch the way it is. Another member suggested adjusting the clutch, which I tried. It's made a world of difference, completely changing the feel of the clutch and making it almost the same as most other cars I've driven. It was such a profound difference that I wrote up a detailed How-To. It's in this thread here:
http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=59565

Check it out. Others have done the adjustment too and realized the same improvement.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
like they say, practice makes perfect. just get used to it for a bit and it'll be butter. if you understand the concept of driving manual it's not too bad. Just understand where it engages, and try to feather it in while you drive.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Mod-Edited Comment
[/b]
you are an asshole...the guy asks a simple question and you give a dipshit answer.

Smooth23, I learned stick on my car just befoe the MS6, i never drove a "sport" oriented stick shift except for a couple of my friends cars once or twice, till I got the MS6. A little practice and you will be fine, as for the power well that just comes down to how you drive, if you like to drive dangerously and a very inexperienced, then maybe the power is a little too much for you, but if you think you can handle it then by all means press onward.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the constructive answers. I was worried about the clutch mainly. I test drove an m6 v6 and had no problems, the clutch was normal. Just never felt such a crazy stiff clutch as the ms6. Even my friends cobalt ss isn't that bad, and those have like dollar store racing clutches in them.

·
Registered
176 Posts
[/b]
Smooth23. Ignore the jerk. Seems like every forum has one or more. Don't worry about the clutch, it comes to you quickly with practice. You may kill it a few times in traffic, but I've been driving for 45 years, including some time in an 18-wheeler, and still kill an engine every now and then---usually when I'm trying too hard to be smooth. The snappy clutch will help with quick shifts and matches the positive feel of the steering an brakes. It seems like experienced drivers either do or do not like the clutch; no middle ground. My suggestion is to try itfor a while just like it is, then adjust if you still don't like it. Enjoy . . .

·
Registered
16 Posts
Smooth,

MS6 is the first stick car I've ever owned (well, leased). I have had some experience with manual transmission prior, but not much. I had a little trouble getting started, but I took it to an abandoned parking lot with some hills and worked on it till I got it down well enough to drive around town. After that, normal driving will get you into the groove, after about 2 months I am comfortable with pretty much all driving conditions (including huge hills (there is a stop sign at the top of a huge hill right outside my house!).

Just be careful when you are practicing, if you stall a lot, to drive the car a bit in between starts and stops -- you don't want to kill your battery!

Also, I feel for whoever bought that MS6 you were stalling during that test drive -- I hope it wasn't mine.

An extra tip: when I first started, when I rolled to a stop on a hill and cars were coming up behind me I would let the car roll back a little to let the car behind me know I'm driving a manual. Usually the driver behind me would put 2 and 2 together and give me some extra space.

Hope you decide to do it, it's a great car!

-G

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, I'm sure the one I test drove wasn't yours.. Noone is dumb enough to pay $25,000 for a used sport with 1000 miles on it and a gigantic scratch across the front right above where a front license plate would be. They were fairly gentle stalls anyhow.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
No, I'm sure the one I test drove wasn't yours.. Noone is dumb enough to pay $25,000 for a used sport with 1000 miles on it and a gigantic scratch across the front right above where a front license plate would be. They were fairly gentle stalls anyhow.
[/b]
that's ok when i test drove the MS6 (keep in mind this was back in november when it was common place to pay over sticker for these) I stalled it once getting into reverse than was ok just a little sloppy as I drove it. The sales man got behind the wheel to drive it back to the storage area and show me the other colors/option they had on the lot and stalled it 3 times then smoked the living hell out of the clutch trying to get it moving forward...needless to say I didnt end up buying that particular one :p

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I've owned the car for 6 months, after 3 years in a Mazda6 S V6 5-speed, and a year in a '93 5-Speed MX-6. and I still stall every once in a while. It's a tricky clutch to master.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts