Mazda 6 Forums banner

MT 2/03: The 6 beats out the Alti and Jetta

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Brillo 
#1 ·
I read on another board that there is a new comparison in this month's Motor Trend. The Altima SE, M6 and Jetta were put head to head, with the 6 getting the nod in the end. Go Mazda :p

Motor Trend did, however, call the Altima the fastest FWD car they've tested. They got 5.95 seconds to 60 and 14.5/98 in the 1/4 mile.

Sorry for the limited info, but I just wanted to give a heads-up. If I get my issue tomorrow like I normally do, I'll scan and post the article.

#3 ·
Replying to Topic 'MT 2/03: The 6 beats out the Alti and Jetta'

Yeah I just got my issues of Motor Trend and Road & Track this weekend too. As was mentioned Motor Trend placed the 6 in 1st place over the Jetta and the Altima. Road & Track compared the Accord, Altima, Camry, Mazda6 and Passat. The 6 placed 2nd behind the Accord. It came in 1st as far as being 'fun to drive' though :D

The Altima was stated as having problems with torque steer and some cheap feeling materials in the interior.

#5 ·

Originally posted by Silva 6s

I read on another board that there is a new comparison in this month's Motor Trend. The Altima SE, M6 and Jetta were put head to head, with the 6 getting the nod in the end. Go Mazda :p  

Motor Trend did, however, call the Altima the fastest FWD car they've tested. They got 5.95 seconds to 60 and 14.5/98 in the 1/4 mile.  

Sorry for the limited info, but I just wanted to give a heads-up. If I get my issue tomorrow like I normally do, I'll scan and post the article.[/b]
Well car and driver tested altima and got 0-60 for 4 spd. automatic 7.3 seconds. mazda 6 S 5 spd. automatic 0-60 is like 7.4-7.5 seconds, so it should not be left very much. And on track, mazda 6 would kill accord, altima, and camry.

#6 ·

Originally posted by Haris

Well car and driver tested altima and got 0-60 for 4 spd. automatic 7.3 seconds. mazda 6 S  5 spd. automatic 0-60 is like 7.4-7.5 seconds, so it should not be left very much. And on track, mazda 6 would kill accord, altima, and camry.[/b]
In this month's Road and Track, the auto 6 s ran to 60 in 8.1 seconds (7.1 for the Altima, 7.3 for the Accord). This was the non-sports package model running on the standard 16 inchers. While it tied the Altima and Accord @ .75g's, it (UNFORTUNATELY!) lost to the *shudder* Camry in the slalom, 62.1 vs. 60.0 mph. It also lost to the Altima and Accord in braking from 60 and 80 mph; 136/248ft (M6); 129/230ft (Alti); 127/225ft (Camry).

Overall, it came in 2nd and only lost to the Accord by .4 points. Not bad for the standard, non sport model. All the editors consistently chose the Passat :zzz as the best looking though. They are all coincidentally look 50 yrs old and up too. Coincidence? I think not ;)

#7 ·

All the editors consistently chose the Passat :zzz as the best looking though. They are all coincidentally look 50 yrs old and up too. Coincidence? I think not ;)[/b]
What was the color of the M6 they tested? I wonder if they tested a Silver or Gray M6 with the 17" rims and without the spoiler and ground effects if they would have found the 6's styling a little more appealing?

#8 ·

Originally posted by arock

All the editors consistently chose the Passat :zzz as the best looking though. They are all coincidentally look 50 yrs old and up too. Coincidence? I think not ;)[/b]
What was the color of the M6 they tested? I wonder if they tested a Silver or Gray M6 with the 17" rims and without the spoiler and ground effects if they would have found the 6's styling a little more appealing?

[/b][/quote]

Actually, they did test a silver one, with gray leather and moonroof. They gave it 11.3 points for exterior style. The dark gray Camry got 12.3 pts and the dark gray Passat got 15.0 points (highest score). The blue Alti and gold Accord scored the lowest.

Clearly the old farts prefer steel grayish colors.

#10 ·

Originally posted by Casper 6i

Originally posted by Haris

Well car and driver tested altima and got 0-60 for 4 spd. automatic 7.3 seconds. mazda 6 S  5 spd. automatic 0-60 is like 7.4-7.5 seconds, so it should not be left very much. And on track, mazda 6 would kill accord, altima, and camry.[/b]
In this month's Road and Track, the auto 6 s ran to 60 in 8.1 seconds (7.1 for the Altima, 7.3 for the Accord). This was the non-sports package model running on the standard 16 inchers. While it tied the Altima and Accord @ .75g's, it (UNFORTUNATELY!) lost to the *shudder* Camry in the slalom, 62.1 vs. 60.0 mph. It also lost to the Altima and Accord in braking from 60 and 80 mph; 136/248ft (M6); 129/230ft (Alti); 127/225ft (Camry).

[/b][/quote]

Here's this months Motor Trends stats on the 6. It was put up against the Jetta GLI and the Altima 3.5 SE. They tested the V6 manual versions of these cars -whereas Road & Track tested the automatics.

Mazda stats:
0-60 in 6.67

600 ft slalom @ 63.6 mph (this beat both the Altima and the Jetta and was way higher than Road & Tracks stats. I must point out that Motor Trends slalom run was 600ft and R&D's was 700ft. Don't know how much of a difference it would make anyway.)

Braking from 60 ft: 121ft (again, WAY better than R&D's stats)

#11 ·

Motor Trend's test was better in my opinion since it catered to enthusiasts and centered around sports sedans with manuals. Road and Tracks showed what can be expected from the non-sport, base V6 model.

The 6 clearly comes alive when equipped with the 17's and the manual. It may have lost the acceleration tests to the Altima, but at least its a more balanced package (good handling and braking, with more than adequate acceleration).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.