Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 388 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this is for help to someone.
My car already has a CP-e intake with MAF customizer.

the MSDS header set comes with the Y-pipe and the mid-pipe. They are not made for "street" use. so the CATS will come of your car.

The set of headers have a very good price, $700 including shipping. The installation is not very easy, so either pay for the install or try it if you know what you are doing.

I like the headers, I can tell the performance gains are there. The pull starts sooner (in lower RPM) and the engine seems to be free. the faster you go, the more you can tell the headers are in... I used to get disapointed with my car when I wanted power at higher speeds. not anymore.

When installing these headers, the CATS come completely of your car, so the sound...I personally dont like it. I have heard some ideas like getting a resonator, or maybe an ultra quiet resonator. also a high flow cat with a resonator. I dont know if it will fit though I guess its gonna have to be custom made.

I hope this has been helpfull to all and so you dont have to be searching around for MSDS information, here it is.

UPDATE TO POST:
HERE ARE VIDEO CLIPS WITH SOUND.

engine cold
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBqnlVRlpc8

rev up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQRg8FB69Bk

Drive away, and 2000-4000 RPM driving, and rev up from different angle of car:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ4izAoZU7Y

·
Registered
446 Posts
How much louder are they? Do you think you could make a video and post it? And one more thing, is the rest of your exhaust completely stock?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Did you buy the entire set with all the high flow cats and y-pipe? im thinking about buy it and was just curious

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How much louder are they? Do you think you could make a video and post it? And one more thing, is the rest of your exhaust completely stock?[/b]
they are a lot louder, it sounds like a race car (since they are also cat-less). sounds like a...s....s... What i dont like is the raspy sound that makes after 3500 RPM.
I will try my best to get a video and post it.
Yes, the rest of the exhaust is stock. that is also a reason for the sound since i have stock mufflers. all that air is trying to get out and the mufflers dont let it..

Did you buy the entire set with all the high flow cats and y-pipe? im thinking about buy it and was just curious[/b]

the set comes with the two 3-1 shorty headers, the y-pipe, and a mid-pipe that acts as a resonator.
I im going to put in a metal high flow cat from vibrant performance after the Y-pipe, I already talked to the person that will do it 4 me.. that should get rid of some of the sound.
here is a pic of the set...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Good To know, Where did you Order yours from? I'm looking to buy in the next week or 2 myself. First on the list of mods this summer!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Good To know, Where did you Order yours from? I'm looking to buy in the next week or 2 myself. First on the list of mods this summer![/b]
same here

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Unless a board sponsor sells them, I would buy them directly from Marty at MSDS. http://www.msdsinc.com/ In my dealings with Marty, he was very friendly and helpful. I owned the first set of the headers.

While I didn't love the raspy sound (and the occasional CEL I would get cruising at 2.2k rpms), the power add was awesome. Plus, you can add in a resonator or a high flow cat in the exhaust stream to quell the raspiness.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unless a board sponsor sells them, I would buy them directly from Marty at MSDS. http://www.msdsinc.com/ In my dealings with Marty, he was very friendly and helpful. I owned the first set of the headers.

While I didn't love the raspy sound (and the occasional CEL I would get cruising at 2.2k rpms), the power add was awesome. Plus, you can add in a resonator or a high flow cat in the exhaust stream to quell the raspiness.[/b]

they are delivered to your door for 700 dollars. true: order them at www.msdsinc.com
Expect to pay 300 or more on installation. And also remember you will, have to put a high flow cat and maybe a resonator or both.
If the installation is done just like MSDS says, the CEL shouldnt pop up.
If it does you can use this thing (I forgot the name of it) that can be plugged to the Oxygen sensor and tell the ECU everything if fine. It is a little chip. I will find out the name.

·
Registered
446 Posts
they are a lot louder, it sounds like a race car (since they are also cat-less). sounds like a...s....s... What i dont like is the raspy sound that makes after 3500 RPM.
I will try my best to get a video and post it.
Yes, the rest of the exhaust is stock. that is also a reason for the sound since i have stock mufflers. all that air is trying to get out and the mufflers dont let it..[/b]
A before and after vid with the high flow cat would be nice, if you think you could pull it off. :) Also I was wondering, for those of us with aftermarket exhaust systems, would the header's completely change the sound? Or would it just amplify it? I really like the tone of mine, and the only way it could be any better is if it was as loud throughout the powerband as it is from 2k to 3k. The clips I've seen on youtube with a magnaflow exhaust plus header's sound VERY nice!!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
These headers look like alot more affordable than the cp-e headers...but there is one problem im gonna have, when i had my custom exhaust put on i had both the mufflers taken off and the resonator...so ill have to look for a damn good muffler since ill be takin off the CATS, does anyone have any suggestions?? :swearin:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A before and after vid with the high flow cat would be nice, if you think you could pull it off. :) Also I was wondering, for those of us with aftermarket exhaust systems, would the header's completely change the sound? Or would it just amplify it? I really like the tone of mine, and the only way it could be any better is if it was as loud throughout the powerband as it is from 2k to 3k. The clips I've seen on youtube with a magnaflow exhaust plus header's sound VERY nice!!![/b]
It depends on which aftermarket exhaust you have. if it is a quiet one, like apex, you might be fine. but if you have something louder, the headers will make it much louder. So u will have to put a high flow cat almost for sure.
since you have aftermarket mufflers, the roudy sound might not be as bad, but it will be loud anyways and it might change the tone. In my opinion, you probably will end up having to customize it by putting a high flow cat to go back to where you are right now in means of sound.
If you want, you can wait and I will let you know next week whenever i put the high flow cat in. I will let you knwo how it sounds

Here is a picture of the stocl headers, it shows you why the Mazda 6 is so restricted in means of exhaust. this is why the header works. (this is a 2003 S,i dont know if newer versions are much different)

Stock headers

Attachments

·
Registered
867 Posts
Wow never knew another company made headers for us V6 guys. These will sound so awesome with my magnaflows.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
These headers look like alot more affordable than the cp-e headers...but there is one problem im gonna have, when i had my custom exhaust put on i had both the mufflers taken off and the resonator...so ill have to look for a damn good muffler since ill be takin off the CATS, does anyone have any suggestions?? :swearin:[/b]
It depends on your mufflers and resonator. If you already have aftermarket mufflers that let the air out better than the stock you will be ok in that part.
The resonator, it depends if it is quiet or not. If it is loud, the headers will be very very loud. and you will have to replace it. maybe an ultra quiet resonator from vibrant performance. that might do the job.
I still think that a high flow cat is the way to go. plus a little bit of back preassure is never bad, specially top end.
I will post the results of the headers with the new high flow ccat sometime next week. That should give you an idea.

Wow never knew another company made headers for us V6 guys. These will sound so awesome with my magnaflows.[/b]
I heard of a person who already had magnaflow exhaust and installed the MSDS headers and he said it was very very loud.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Be careful. I had the headers and borla exhaust. I had to remove the borla exhaust b/c it was way too loud.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
I currently have the headers on the car. I love them. I slao took Dave's advice before I made the desicion. I believe there is a video on youtube of me.
This is with the magnaflow exhaust and this does have a single resonator

Here is the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB3pVrph4Uk

I will try to post up another video if I can find it!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Well it sounds like a high flow cat is definitely the way to go with this system. I've been looking around at headers for a little while, but the cp-e is just too dang expensive, and some of the less expensive ones seem to have 'issues'. I will definitely be considering these, and I'm really looking forward to hearing what Juice14's sounds like with the HF cat installed.

Thats a very sweet video atom44wat, I would love to go to a track day somewhere in the future. Too bad I'm in the middle of nowhere though, its going to take a little bit of a drive to get anywhere worth going to. :drive: Oh the joys of bein a country boy!

·
Registered
128 Posts
It depends on your mufflers and resonator. If you already have aftermarket mufflers that let the air out better than the stock you will be ok in that part.
The resonator, it depends if it is quiet or not. If it is loud, the headers will be very very loud. and you will have to replace it. maybe an ultra quiet resonator from vibrant performance. that might do the job.
I still think that a high flow cat is the way to go. plus a little bit of back preassure is never bad, specially top end.
I will post the results of the headers with the new high flow ccat sometime next week. That should give you an idea.
I heard of a person who already had magnaflow exhaust and installed the MSDS headers and he said it was very very loud.[/b]
How much is the high-flow CAT from vibrant?? and if i left my exhaust without mufflers like it is now but put on the CAT do you think it would be too loud?

1 - 20 of 388 Posts