Mazda 6 Forums banner

Does the supplied MSDS MIL eliminator work on your car?

• Yes the MIL eliminator worked!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tried MIL eliminator, did not work used O2 sim and it worked!

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
MSDS header v6 MIL eliminator poll did it work for you?

Just as the name says: I see some people never have a problem with the included MIL eliminators supplied with the 2006 MSDS shorty headers for the V6.
I just want a poll of the people who tried the MIL or went O2 sim...
I wanted to add: also speak up if you just did the O2 relocation after the main cat... and did it work or did it not.
THANKS!!!

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I never actual got a CEL to begin with. I didn't have to use any of those things.
+1 on '05.

4 weeks and no issue. Scanguage shows I'm going into closed loop when I should be.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is the first I have read of this! So you guys just plugged the O2 sensor back into the MSDS header o2 bung without ANY kind of modification!? :eek:

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
This is the first I have read of this! So you guys just plugged the O2 sensor back into the MSDS header o2 bung without ANY kind of modification!? :eek:
Yep. All 4 of mine were simply added to the headers - no issue. I DO have a cat, but it's downstream of all 4 of them.

Reactions: 06m6v6

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
I have the two upstream O2 sensors in the bungs in the headers before the main cat, and the two downstream ones in after the main cat. But you have to drill the holes and weld in the bungs behind the main cat then extend the downstream O2 sensor wiring yourself. Or, since you have an '06, you can buy a new cat section from NPG Racing and have them weld in the bungs for you and replace the whole cat section, then you'd just have to extend the wiring and relocate the O2 sensors.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is amazing to me! I was reading page after page (after page) lol spent 6-7 hrs reading about these on this site and the 6crew and EVERYone was saying you NEED these O2 sims or you will have a cell...
I am very grateful for you two speaking up!! Thanks!

MSDS is sending it to me without a cat, I just picked up a high flow magnaflow heavy metal core Cat at autozone for $80.00 and am gong to have it welded into the test pipe postion, and have the rear o2's behind that. I guess if worse comes to worse, I can have them all relocated, I just wonder what it will cost... I am having my Clutch and flywheel (exedy stage 1 & light flywheel) done at the same time, so I should be able to save a buck or two there in labor if they are dropping the motor anyway...

Man, I wonder why so many people said they got cels?

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
As long as you relocate the two downstream O2 sensors behind some kind of cat, I think you should be ok. But some people have said that some cars are more sensitive than others, so it depends on how lucky you are.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks much!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just got home. Had the headers installed for around 650.00 (ouch) but the included resister type MIL eliminator works. I have 100 miles on it without a CEL. No need for an O2 sim. No need for anti fouler. all sensors go into normal positions. all BEFORE the magnaflow (carsound) cat!

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
How do you know the MIL eliminator works? You've never tried the headers without them. Maybe you wouldn't have gotten an MIL to begin with, so the eliminator might not even be doing anything.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its all faith. I think my mechanic is the second coming of Christ! (jk). I trust my mechanic wouldn't have gone through the extra install time if I didn't have a CEL to begin with...

·
Registered
12 Posts
i want to buy msds headers from msdsinc.com for my 04 m6. I have a GReddy evo 2 catback exhaust on my car now. If i add these headers, will my check engine light come on because the headers from the msds website do not come with cats. I can get the headers with cats from nautilusperformance but they're a lot more expensive.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
my car threw codes within the first 20-30miles after installing headers, and thru a code with the supplied mil eliminator. and never had any issue after after the o2 sims.

every car is different, and its been proven that there are a select few cars, less than the majority by far that throw codes without the o2 sims.

and some didnt throw code with the non foulers, switched motors and thru a code.

some tried the resistors, and still thru a code.

75% of the car need the o2 sims to not get a code, the 0ther 25% is made up of the lucky few like you guys :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same thing happen Great NY, about 25 miles when I got the CEL. I got it checked today and its the O2 sensor codes, no surprise. I did do the MIL eliminator using the resistor and capacitors from radio shack, but apparently this doesn't work for me (or i mucked it up!).

Probably going to try the O2 sims from here.

Sounds damn good though :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It seems more of the 06-08 guys are having better luck with the supplied MIL resistors... Must be the exhaust change or something helping us out :) I just got back form driving form Portland to L.A. and back (2000+ miles) . Not a single CEL and OMG the upper end pickup is AMAZING. I hit the speed governor on accident in 5th gear on a short straight blast while on I-5! :angel:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Actually yeah I'd like to see it -- just to make sure I did it right....

As far as making the MIL Eliminators i kinda had to go on 'best guess' because every diagram for a mz6 has a blue wire. My car does not, it has gray -- so my guess was that blue = gray for the wiring diagram. So just to be sure, would be nice to see one (even if its blue).

For the O2 simulators that I referenced above, is that a set when you buy it or one piece? @ $40 a pop, for two that's quite annoying. I'd honestly rather find out that i wired the DIY one wrong.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My resistors are on the back O2. The fronts are for reading the base A/F from what I understand. The change in reading (the resistor keeping a cap on the reading) keeps the CEL from tripping by providing a different (lower) reading like the pre cats were in place. All the stock o2's were before the last cat on my stock '06 setup.

·
Registered
585 Posts
My resistors are on the back O2. The fronts are for reading the base A/F from what I understand. The change in reading (the resistor keeping a cap on the reading) keeps the CEL from tripping by providing a different (lower) reading like the pre cats were in place. All the stock o2's were before the last cat on my stock '06 setup.
You are correct. For the stock set-up, there is an O2 sensor just before and just after each precat and nothing after either final/downstream cat. When you install MSDS headers they come with O2 sensor ports/"bungs" in essentially the same locations so all the stock cables reach. If you decide to add a single large downstream "hi-flow" cat, then you need to extend the cables on the two downstream O2 sensors and relocate them after the hi-flow cat.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think the relocation is a last ditch effort. For the 06-08 I don't think it is necessary (at least on mine) Just add the resistor to the last O2, keep them in the stock locations. Good to go.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts