Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from the shop. breaking in the clutch for another 500 or so.
so @ 55,000 I feared the precat failing so got the MSDS, The Clutch started howling, and smelling so new Clutch. While I was in there thought The flywheel would att a smile to the cost of labor on this thing.
THE GOOD:
MSDS header, Magnaflow Cat, stock cat back. Car is MUCH quieter than having old stock system with straight pipes. Sounds stock. I have the AWR 88 Duro mounts all around, less vibration/drone than before (straight pipe) . No drone, no rasp with stock mufflers on. MIL eliminator so no CEL.
Exedy stage 1 and light exedy flywheel. Makes the car rev like a my old honda did, revs fast both up and down, no longer hangs in high rpms. Makes car feel lighter. Could be the 50 lbs of cast iron being removed from the front from the headers helping as well.
New NGK Plugs installed as well. So far so good

THE BAD:
The cost of parts: MSDS shipped close to 800
Clutch & Flywheel (amazon had the best $) @ 640
Plugs 76.14
The cost of Labor: MSDS install: 654.00
Clutch install: 591.00
Plugs install: 180.00
grand total: 1630.90
And then had to have an alignment: 30.00
$1660.90 in LABOR
$1500 In Parts
$3160.90 spent @ 55k
Ouch.:eek:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ha! but I did sell my old stock headers for their cats to a yard for $50.00...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so would u recommend the MSDS? How was the fitment? Was it a PITA to install?
Yes, I payed for the install. The Mechanic with a lift and tools took 8hrs. Had to solder the MIL eliminator, and notch the alternator heat shield and get an alignment after.
After logging 2000 miles. All I can say is BUY THEM. I love the high end torque and HP. It just pulls solid all the way to redline before it would kind of choke out around 5500 rpm. Now in 5th it pulled like 4th and 4th pulls like 3rd used too. It is night and day.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: MAGNAFLOW
Posted by speedyouin - With an aftermarket exhaust it may but with a Mechanical o2 sim it wont. The cat is high flow and meets standards but sometime the o2 sensor does not like the taste. If you pull the o2 sensor out of the exhaust stream just slightly it will not toss a code.
My father has the magnaflow axleback, do you think the walker cat converter will bolt on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Posted by speedyouin - With an aftermarket exhaust it may but with a Mechanical o2 sim it wont. The cat is high flow and meets standards but sometime the o2 sensor does not like the taste. If you pull the o2 sensor out of the exhaust stream just slightly it will not toss a code.
My father has the magnaflow axleback, do you think the walker cat converter will bolt on.

·
Registered
3 Posts

1 - 7 of 7 Posts