Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a day and a half before I traded in my 6, I removed the MSD Stacker-8 capacitive discharge ignition system. Immediately after removing it I noticed the revs were a good deal slower and harsher. So while I never dyno'ed and if I did, it probably wouldn't of showed much in power gains, but the speed and smoothness of the RPMs were worth it. These are telltale gains of anyone who uses an ignition box on any vehicle.

Z6Speed can tell you soon enough what he feels and sees from installing the ignition box.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
823 Posts
Ok, when I first read Stacker, I thought of that weight loss pill they advertise on TV.

So if I read this correctly, it piggy backs into the system (sort of like the CPE maf box, correct?), and it then does what? Changes something with the ignition? Like the plugs and how they spark or when?

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, when I first read Stacker, I thought of that weight loss pill they advertise on TV.

So if I read this correctly, it piggy backs into the system (sort of like the CPE maf box, correct?), and it then does what? Changes something with the ignition? Like the plugs and how they spark or when?
[/b]
It draws battery power and stores it, just like a capacitor for an audio system, and when the coil is ready to fire, the MSD box loads it up with the stored battery power and the coil fires with more power, thus producing a hotter spark. A hotter spark burns the fuel much more effeciently. This is why if you read other forums where other car owners are installing ignition boxes, they report better gas mileage (Due to the more effecient use of fuel), smoother RPMs and quicker RPMs.

The MSD box has a provision for multiple-spark, firing the plug more than once when the piston is at top dead center. Though through my research back then when I bought the box, most newer Ford engines already had multiple spark and if you cut the wire on the MSD box that activated the multiple spark feature, it would cause misfiring and stumbling. I never cut the wire because it is so small it would be hard to repair if that was the case.

The MSD box splices the wires directly into each coil.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Interesting. Makes sense though.

You said you never dyno'd it for power gains, you made comments about the RPM's, but did you ever notice being able to go longer on a tank when it was plugged in?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Good to hear about that 84fordman, thanks!

It'll be a little longer than expected before I can install it. My car is in the body shop right now. Once I receive the AWR Radiator, I'll install this as well, and maybe Sniper Tuning will come out with their unit by then (clevite rod bearings maybe too then, depending on time).

Before doing all that, I need to test a few items on the car to make sure everything is running up to par, so please do not expect anything in the next few weeks.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting. Makes sense though.

You said you never dyno'd it for power gains, you made comments about the RPM's, but did you ever notice being able to go longer on a tank when it was plugged in?
[/b]
I had buyer's remorse initially upon reviewing the wiring for the coils and found out there is a factory capacitor, so MSD proves the factory unit is incapable of effeciency and performance.

I was averaging about 350 to 375 miles to the tank depending on driving style. Most I ever got was 400 miles if I remember correctly. Which is not bad with so many other mileage neglecting items such as the 160F thermostat and 175F-on high fan controller.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
You had a How-To for the install didn't you Fordman?

Now this Looks like it's going to go on the list! maybe even a reduction in throttle lag at all?

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Had a how-to, but it never made it into the articles page, thus the site I had the photos on kept, kept expiring and the pics went bye-bye. The actual text part is still on 6Tech.

I would say throttle lag is reduced, though this is just one man's opinion.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
84fordman,

Do you have the wiring diagram for this?[/b]
It's fairly straight forward. Since the Stacker-8, or DIS-8 or whatever they are calling it now, has 8 wires for individual coils, you will end up with two extras. Just put the extra ones on one coil from each bank, so there will be a coil on each bank that has two orange wires going to it. Using the front bank coils as an example, you will splice into these on the wire CLOSEST to the front bumper on each coil. You will have a power and ground wire for the Stacker/DIS system, run the power to your battery and ground to the chassis, since I mounted it in the fender well, I used one of the bolts that held the old intake resonator (long gone) box in place. There will be just one wire left, this is the ignition run wire, the one that lets the MSD box know your car has started, splice this wire into the OTHER wire on any of the coils.

Attachments

·
Registered
982 Posts
It's fairly straight forward. Since the Stacker-8, or DIS-8 or whatever they are calling it now, has 8 wires for individual coils, you will end up with two extras. Just put the extra ones on one coil from each bank, so there will be a coil on each bank that has two orange wires going to it. Using the front bank coils as an example, you will splice into these on the wire CLOSEST to the front bumper on each coil. You will have a power and ground wire for the Stacker/DIS system, run the power to your battery and ground to the chassis, since I mounted it in the fender well, I used one of the bolts that held the old intake resonator (long gone) box in place. There will be just one wire left, this is the ignition run wire, the one that lets the MSD box know your car has started, splice this wire into the OTHER wire on any of the coils.[/b]

Thanks for the reply! I wish I had this yesterday before the internet went down here. However, everything worked out!!!

Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
982 Posts
How did your install turn out?Do you like the upgrade?[/b]
Everything is great so far, I will do more testing later tonight. :drive: I posted more details in the spark plugs post.

From other post:

Whoo hooo!!!! I figured it out. Everything is running like a charm, I even did a test before connecting the stacker 8 box and after. The car was running very smooth with the new iridium plugs but after I connected the box it really seemed smooth. I was able to hop on it for a few seconds this morning after it was warmed up. It was definitly more responsive and had more torque. I will do some more road tests. i.e... getting on the freeway and up to speed...and some quick stop light to stop light. No racing! I'll post what the dyno numbers are when my unichip gets back.

BTW.. I connected it using their (MSD's) diagram and crossed my fingers. It started and the box did its little blinking thing that is supposed to, I am very happy!!!

·
Registered
982 Posts
So I did my freeway tests last night and acceleration tests. It was freaking sweet, thats why I tested last night and this morning to see if I was just imagining the gains. When I was entering the freeway I mashed the gas pedal the revs to redline were very fast and started spinning in 1st, had to let off gas, it shifted and spun for a second in 2nd, when I got into 3rd it pulled hard all the way through 5th.
:drive:
This morning it was the same thing! I don’t even have my unichip in right now. I will dyno before and after. It will be compared with my stock, summer tune (w/unichip), stacker 8 & TB, and then unichip. So we should be able to see what is going on with my 04 6s. :yesnod:

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Once you knew where all the wires went, what would say was the total install time for this? And on a difficulty scale of 1-5, what would you say(1 being no harder than changing oil, 3 being equivalent to changing out brake pads, and 5 meaning let the professionals do it)?

Paul

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I've been wanting to get one of these for a while now. Probably small gains, but the way I see it every little bit helps. Smoother revs is always a plus, and I think fordman even anecdotally mentioned a slight increase in fuel mileage.

Having said that, I think they are discontinued so getting them might be harder in the future.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
About this Discussion
36 Replies
12 Participants
6gt
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing