Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this board and a recent owner of a Whitewater Pearl MS6. I have been surfing these boards for several weeks and have found a ton of valuable input and information... now I think I should share something I just learned that may help you in the near future.

After only 2 weeks I had to have my windshield replaced (NOTHING to do with Mazda or the car). I went in this morning to have the winshield put in and we ran into a problem. It appears that the windshield from a normal Mazda 6 will fit like a charm, except for one small problem... The VIN plate appears to be in a different location. Specifically about 6 inches closer to the drivers side on an MS6. In other words this new windshield completely covers the VIN plate. Not good.

Before you ask... No. It was NOT a "Mazda" windshield. It is made by LOV. We are going to see if the PPG model is any different but I am guessing it will be the same. My bet is that we will need to secure an actual Mazda part. No big deal but this is going to require the windshield to be replaced yet again. None of the aftermarket windshield makers have a different part number listed.

I am guessing this issue has something to do with the fact our cars are actually built in Japan, unlike the normal 6's... or maybe it has something to do with being an '06 model. Not sure.

At any rate, I hope this saves a few of you the PIA that I am going through. You never know when that big dump truck in front of you is going to start tossing things your way. :D

Allan

·
Registered
76 Posts
thanks for the info..i have a lot of dump trucks where i live. the crappy thing is that they never put the covers on their beds to keep the rocks and other debris in.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
i noticed that when i went to add my DoD decal to the car. i had to move it up about 2 inches from the location on my '04 M6s.

is this a different windshield for all '06? or just MS6?

Allan, i feel for you. i've already had mine in the shop for 2x stone chips from a hillbilly in a pick-up with oversized mud tires. . . $65 filled the cracks.

·
Registered
583 Posts
you gotta be careful if you are not using a geniune mazda windshield. they say any part not mazda will void the warranty of everything it touches.

hahahahaha

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As I suspected, the only replacement available is from Mazda. Only $108 more than the LOV... not bad.

And the drama ends... once the new windshield arrives anyway.

·
Registered
490 Posts
As I suspected, the only replacement available is from Mazda. Only $108 more than the LOV... not bad.

And the drama ends... once the new windshield arrives anyway.
[/b]
I would just use the LOV.. It is NOT a requirement to have the VIN showing through the windshield.
In fact, it's a safety issue.. YOUR SAFETY.
Anyone can copy the VIN down and drop in to some nice abiding vendor and get keys cut.
It HAS happened before. And it was on the Evening NEWS a few months ago.
Just my view

·
Registered
998 Posts
I would just use the LOV.. It is NOT a requirement to have the VIN showing through the windshield.
In fact, it's a safety issue.. YOUR SAFETY.
Anyone can copy the VIN down and drop in to some nice abiding vendor and get keys cut.
It HAS happened before. And it was on the Evening NEWS a few months ago.
Just my view
[/b]
Huh, I'll print this out and give it to the state trooper that pulls me over next and checks the vin to be certain it matches the license plate and then asks me why there's no vin on my vehicle.

Thanks for saving me a headache! :)

Jason

·
Registered
406 Posts
Federal law requires vehicles and their major component parts to be marked with a VIN unique to each vehicle. (See generally 49 U.S.C. Chapter 331; 49 C.F.R., Parts 541, 565.) These laws are intended principally for the purposes of proper identification and theft and fraud prevention. 49 C.F.R., section 565.4, subdivisions (e) and (f) provide as follows:

(e) The VIN of each vehicle shall appear clearly and indelibly upon either a part of the vehicle, other than the glazing, that is not designed to be removed except for repair or upon a separate plate or label that is permanently affixed to such part.

(f) The VIN for passenger cars, multipurpose passenger vehicles and trucks of 4536 kg or less GVWR shall be located inside the passenger compartment. It shall be readable, without moving any part of the vehicle, through the vehicle glazing under daylight lighting conditions by an observer having 20/20 vision (Snellen) whose eye-point is located outside the vehicle adjacent to the left windshield pillar. Each character in the VIN subject to this paragraph shall have a minimum height of 4 mm.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Federal law requires vehicles and their major component parts to be marked with a VIN unique to each vehicle. (See generally 49 U.S.C. Chapter 331; 49 C.F.R., Parts 541, 565.) These laws are intended principally for the purposes of proper identification and theft and fraud prevention. 49 C.F.R., section 565.4, subdivisions (e) and (f) provide as follows:

(e) The VIN of each vehicle shall appear clearly and indelibly upon either a part of the vehicle, other than the glazing, that is not designed to be removed except for repair or upon a separate plate or label that is permanently affixed to such part.

(f) The VIN for passenger cars, multipurpose passenger vehicles and trucks of 4536 kg or less GVWR shall be located inside the passenger compartment. It shall be readable, without moving any part of the vehicle, through the vehicle glazing under daylight lighting conditions by an observer having 20/20 vision (Snellen) whose eye-point is located outside the vehicle adjacent to the left windshield pillar. Each character in the VIN subject to this paragraph shall have a minimum height of 4 mm.
[/b]
Interesting quote from paragraph (f) above... I don't think cars in the UK are required to have their VIN visible through the windscreen, I don't think you can see my VIN through the windscreen...

·
Registered
392 Posts
Have the same issue, had my windshield replaced and you can no longer view the VIN. Dealer says it's an OEM windshield, but I tend to disagree. Windshield says topshade on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had mine replaced with PPG and my VIN is visible. Still mad that I had to get it replaced ($200)...stupid rocks :irate:

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Now I have to have mine replaced and get this. Safe-light Autoglass wants 1,050.00 for a Mazdaspeed6 windshield! I told her someone must be smoking some good crack. I then called my Mazda dealership and they wanted $400 for the windshield and $95 for the molding.

I read that some of you paid about 200 or 300 for a genuine Mazda windshield? Do all of you who had the windshield replaced get it for the Speed 6? Please give me some input, I'm a little distressed.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Now I have to have mine replaced and get this. Safe-light Autoglass wants 1,050.00 for a Mazdaspeed6 windshield! I told her someone must be smoking some good crack. I then called my Mazda dealership and they wanted $400 for the windshield and $95 for the molding.

I read that some of you paid about 200 or 300 for a genuine Mazda windshield? Do all of you who had the windshield replaced get it for the Speed 6? Please give me some input, I'm a little distressed.[/b]
I too will be needing my windshield replaced. I have gotten quotes ranging from 325-420 installed. I've decided to wait a bit and see if my current 1 foot long crack will extend to the other side of the car just for the hell of it. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I had my windshield replaced two weeks ago. I made sure the windshield company ordered the one for the MS6 and NOT one for the 6s/6i and the reply I got was that there are two application part numbers that specify the difference between the two cars. My quote for replacement was $344.00 USD. I can't tell the difference between the OEM and the replacement glass.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
13 Participants
late8
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing