45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Go ahead, let me know what your thoughts are

Fastest
best value
best handling
biggest turbo
best all wheel drive.

I own an MS6 and honestly i thought it was pretty quick when i bought it about a month a go. I borke the car in, so I never redlined it and then today i come to fine out that the damn thing does not hit 60mph in 2nd gear and requires a shift into 3rd. I am pretty pissed off about that and am really not liking the fact that the turbo is just too small and you cant feel it.

Prob not the best choice i made when buying the car...then again I know nothing about the others other then the wrx lags a lot

·
Registered
826 Posts
hmmm...I didn't redline my car but I got pretty damn close. If I can find just the right amount of gas and clutch combo, I can get up to 30 or 35 in first gear, but that's borderline redline. Second, 50-55 again with borderline redline. But as for the choice? MS6. Its the best combo of interior beauty, and performance. So for me, best value. Have you seen an evo's interior?

·
Registered
12 Posts
OK, the speed6 and the Legacy GT are in the same catagory, while the STi and EVO are rally bred cars. While all the cars are nice the their own respects, I prefer the speed6. The EVO sports a cheapish interior lve it or hate it appearance, and amazing handling at a price that defers very little from the MSRP. The STi like the EVO is found at around MSRP, +handling, love the front end or wonder where to smash it, pretty mush the same for the WRX. The WRX is available in a new version that puts it in the mid 20's, but lacks all the creature amenities that the Speed6 is known for. The GT is the closest, nice sleek looks, nicely done simplistic interior, sleeper specs. The choice was between the GT and the Speed6 in my court, the ball went to the Speed6. That could also be due to the fact that I wanted to crush my wifes RX-8 with another Mazda!

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Fastest - Stock? Evo.

Best Value - Mazdaspeed6, cause they go for $22k. Runner up: Evo. Bilstein struts and Recaro seats are very nice standard equipment.

Best handling - Stock? Evo. Modified? STi. The STi's RWD-bias seals the deal here. It drives like a RWD car with a safety net. It only needs bigger sway bars (like the Evo has) to become a beast.

Biggest turbo - Evo IX. By far.

Best all wheel drive - STi. By far.

Most comfortable - The Mazdaspeed6, but barely. The Evo MR, with its incredible Recaro seats and Bilstein struts, is awesome (considering it comes on racing tires).

Most practical - The Legacy wagon.

Best overall - The STI is my favorite overall car, followed by the Mazdaspeed6. It is easy to give the STI incredible handling while dramatically improving ride quality (people really overblow this issue), however the refinement never quite reaches that of the larger, more practical Mazdaspeed. On the other hand, while the Mazdaspeed can be quite fast, it never reaches the immediacy and visceral rush that I like in the STI. The STI's clutch is easier to modulate in traffic than a Mazda clutch, it's steering radius is shorter, and it's an easier car to work on. Ultimately, the STI produces more grins when driving fast while also being more of a pleasure to drive slow.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Best Value- Mazdaspeed6
Fastest- Evo
Best Handling- Evo
Modificability factor- Evo- ease of mods

IMO- the Evo is also the most spartan and racy, which doesn't equal practical and liveable. The STI may fit that bill, but I'm not a boxer engine fan- the sound is gross to me. This is where the Mazdaspeed6 comes in, it's the most liveable and driveable of the bunch, although I'm sure the Legacy GT would be right there.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I own an MS6 and honestly i thought it was pretty quick when i bought it about a month a go. I borke the car in, so I never redlined it and then today i come to fine out that the damn thing does not hit 60mph in 2nd gear and requires a shift into 3rd. I am pretty pissed off about that and am really not liking the fact that the turbo is just too small and you cant feel it.

Prob not the best choice i made when buying the car...then again I know nothing about the others other then the wrx lags a lot
[/b]
Sounds like you got the wrong car. If you are mostly worried about performance, you should have gone for the rally cars (EVO, STi) - the MS6 sacrifices some performance for comfort (plus it is much heavier than the others). Another thing to consider is that after you have a car for awhile, you get used to the acceleration, so it may not feel as powerful.

Running the MS6 to redline is not the best way to go either since power drops off rapidly after 5500 - as for being upset about having to shift to 3 to get to 60 - sounds once again like your main goal is performance - on the street, no one is timing how quickly you can get to exactly 60. ;)

Just my 2 cents. I was considering the EVO when I bought my MS6 - I decided to give up some performance for comfort (plus on recaro seats I HATE the stupid knob to adjust tilt on the seat back - real PITA when switching drivers - one thing I do not miss about my SVTF)

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
The STI may fit that bill, but I'm not a boxer engine fan- the sound is gross to me.[/b]
That's merely the sound of unequal length headers. Equal length headers make it sound like any other 4cyl engine.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmmm...I didn't redline my car but I got pretty damn close. If I can find just the right amount of gas and clutch combo, I can get up to 30 or 35 in first gear, but that's borderline redline. Second, 50-55 again with borderline redline. But as for the choice? MS6. Its the best combo of interior beauty, and performance. So for me, best value. Have you seen an evo's interior?
[/b]

Ahha, yes other then seats it has nothing!!

Another thing to consider is that after you have a car for awhile, you get used to the acceleration, so it may not feel as powerful.

[/b]

I have a feeling this is the case. I am just used to it, but didnt think it would take that fast to know what the car can do. I like the car dont get me wrong, I just thought that the turbo was bigger and like I said I never pushed it and come to find out that it loses power after 5500. Thats a little strange as i never heard of that before. I read its somthing with engine knock? Either way thats upsetting.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Why does not being able to hit 60mph in 2nd gear matter at all? Use third gear. Your shorter second gear is getting you to 55mph faster than a taller second gear would get you to 55mph. I think it's nice that Mazda didn't stupidly cater to magazine test scores and put an overly long 1st and 2nd gear in the car (as most manufacturers do).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why does not being able to hit 60mph in 2nd gear matter at all? Use third gear. Your shorter second gear is getting you to 55mph faster than a taller second gear would get you to 55mph. I think it's nice that Mazda didn't stupidly cater to magazine test scores and put an overly long 1st and 2nd gear in the car (as most manufacturers do).
[/b]

Yea I guess I can agree with that because this makes the car rev faster and its like you get a fast reving honda with a turbo

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Yea I guess I can agree with that because this makes the car rev faster and its like you get a fast reving honda with a turbo
[/b]
Ugh, this comparison just made me think of an econo-civic with a turbo bolted on. Thanks for ruining my image of my car!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I think it's nice that Mazda didn't stupidly cater to magazine test scores and put an overly long 1st and 2nd gear in the car (as most manufacturers do).
[/b]
AMEN!

For a fun excersize, crunch the grear ratios and rear tire size for a 2005 Ford GT at 60mph. Supercars.net is a good resource for the specs.

**** SPOILER BELOW ****

For those who don't like math, my calculations show an engine speed of 6115rpm in 1st gear at 60mph. The engine redlines at 6500rpm. Now tell me Ford "just happened" to choose the gears ratios that yeild a 0-60mph run that doesn't require a shift out of 1st gear!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts