Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm a new MS6 owner. Just picked up my car on Monday. One thing I can't figure out with the car, though, is how the valet key works to lock the car. On the MS6, as many of you know, you just simply press the handle to open the trunk. I know you can lock the trunk with the master key and you can't unlock it with the valet key. But let's say you want to keep someone from getting into your trunk and you give them your valet key. Perhaps I'm overlooking something, but what keeps them from simply pushing the unlock button on the door which unlocks the trunk? Has mazda seriously designed a valet key for the MS6 that has absolutely no purpose other than keeping people from getting into your glove box and reading your manual?

Jeff

·
Registered
651 Posts
Edit, figured it out. See post #8

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey guys, I'm a new MS6 owner. Just picked up my car on Monday. One thing I can't figure out with the car, though, is how the valet key works to lock the car. On the MS6, as many of you know, you just simply press the handle to open the trunk. I know you can lock the trunk with the master key and you can't unlock it with the valet key. But let's say you want to keep someone from getting into your trunk and you give them your valet key. Perhaps I'm overlooking something, but what keeps them from simply pushing the unlock button on the door which unlocks the trunk? Has mazda seriously designed a valet key for the MS6 that has absolutely no purpose other than keeping people from getting into your glove box and reading your manual?

Jeff
[/b]
If you did not have the remote on you, the button on the door would not work and hence cannot open the trunk.

·
Registered
829 Posts
If you did not have the remote on you, the button on the door would not work and hence cannot open the trunk.
[/b]
you're saying the lock/unlock button on the door doesn't work without the remote?

·
Registered
651 Posts
We are talking about the lock/unlock button on the inside of the door.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I'm talking about the lock/unlock button on the inside of the door, not the request switch on the outside handle. It would have been smart for them to put a button in the glove box that would prevent the trunk from unlocking. I didn't want to believe that they could overlook something like that, but I guess they did.

What would Mazda even do about that situation? I mean it's not like they would come up with some kind of fix and rectify the situation, would they? Have they ever done anything like that before?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Well, I was digging through the manual and found out how to set up the valet key with the advance key or master key. It's on page 3-31 and 3-32.

This is for GT models: To secure the trunk lid, press the request switch on the trunk lid for about 3 seconds. This will lock only the trunk lid. To cancel the security feature, press the request switch on the trunk lid for about 3 seconds again. The trunk lid cannot be secured when any door or the trunk lid is open.

This is for Sport models: To secure the trunk lid, close the trunk, insert the master key and turn it counterclockwise. Remove the key. To cancel the security feature, insert the master key into the lock, turn the key clockwise to the center position and remove it.

So they didn't overlook it, they just made it confusing to set up.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, good job.. There's no way I would have ever figured that out. I don't know why I didn't see that in the manual. Thanks for coming up with the answer.

Jeff

·
Registered
176 Posts
Well, I was digging through the manual and found out how to set up the valet key with the advance key or master key. It's on page 3-31 and 3-32.

This is for GT models: To secure the trunk lid, press the request switch on the trunk lid for about 3 seconds. This will lock only the trunk lid. To cancel the security feature, press the request switch on the trunk lid for about 3 seconds again. The trunk lid cannot be secured when any door or the trunk lid is open.

This is for Sport models: To secure the trunk lid, close the trunk, insert the master key and turn it counterclockwise. Remove the key. To cancel the security feature, insert the master key into the lock, turn the key clockwise to the center position and remove it.

So they didn't overlook it, they just made it confusing to set up.
[/b]
Great work! Somehow I missed that in the manual and had been afraid to use the valet key. I'll try it tomorrow.

·
Registered
272 Posts
The sport model with FOB... unlocking the doors with the power lock button unlocks the trunk no matter how you locked it. I just tried the manual's instructions, and if you open the drivers door w/ valet key and unlock all doors with the power lock button, it overrides the manual locking described and unlocks the trunk.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts