Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little setup, the car has been running strong for 40k now with no issues other than a VVT swap under warranty. For those 40k I have neglected to check transmission fluid under the assumption that my mechanic swapped fluid with Amsoil when I did my fidanza flywheel and LuK clutch. In addition, I have been having problems with my shift cable because of my own stupidty. I got too excited while installing the JBR SSP and yanked upwards too hard on the joint between the shift cable and the transmission which in turn snapped the plastic guide sleeve that the shifter cable runs through to stay straight. My quick fix was a heater hose, a zip tie and some epoxy. (see attached photo)

Yesterday on my way home from work it was difficult to shift into any gear. I was having to force the lever into each gear which I was afraid to do because of the aforementioned shifter cable quick fix. I limped the car home in 2nd gear and forgot about it until today when I tried to get to work. I physically could not move the shift lever into any gear. I pulled the battery and began my teardown of the jerry rigged shifter cable only to find that it wasn't causing any issues. It was holding tight just like I had intended it to do.

I am getting ready to check the tranny fluid level and will update in the morning on what it is at.

But to all of you folk here at 6club. Am I royally FUBAR? The car made it all the way home which makes me think that it cant be a seized transmission. Synchros?

I have no idea where to go from here and am having a mini panic attack because the love of my life has half a foot in the grave. Any and all help would be sincerely appreciated.

Attachments

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
Easy enough to pull the shift shaft assembly out and take a look- be sure the guide bolt and gates are in good shape.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Last night I got her up on jack stands and checked the tranny level i.e. pinky test... It seemed slightly low, but nothing that would cause gears to seize.

I also want to mention that my clutch still feels the same as before and I can start the car with no problem.

Easy enough to pull the shift shaft assembly out and take a look- be sure the guide bolt and gates are in good shape.
Thanks Ti, I didn't even think to remove the shift assembly. I will look for removal in the manual and take that apart when I get home.

-Hix

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I removed the shift cables from the transmission and tried to shift and it seems to be moving very fluidly. This makes me think it has to do with something between the shift cables and the shift assembly in the cabin.

Anyone ever had issues like this?

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
Well, I suppose time to test the other bits- you probably already have lolz :D
- shifter
- cables

seems obvious to just move the shifter through the gears with the cables still disconnected from the trans. If symptom remains it's time to pop the center console off and see if it's the cables or shifter.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I suppose time to test the other bits- you probably already have lolz :D
- shifter
- cables

seems obvious to just move the shifter through the gears with the cables still disconnected from the trans. If symptom remains it's time to pop the center console off and see if it's the cables or shifter.

way ahead of you (for once).

The forwards backwards shift lever is seized --> see attached photo....

I've already read through m4tics shifter cable thread on msf --> finally get to fix my shift cable - Mazdaspeed Forums

FML FML FML FML is all I have to say.

Attachments

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also, should the lefthand shifter cable only shift when the lock is off? it seems counter intuitive to have a loose lock piece. What if it accidentally shifted into the lock position and locked you out of 1,2,5 & 6....

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
Also, should the lefthand shifter cable only shift when the lock is off? it seems counter intuitive to have a loose lock piece. What if it accidentally shifted into the lock position and locked you out of 1,2,5 & 6....

er.... not sure what bit is the lock?
usually context is enough to get an idea, but you got me here :)

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Attachments

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
Oh yeah, everything moves when that bit is unlocked- that's how you adjust the shifter.

Yup, it's from the How-To section for the Speed6. The shift cables on the Speed3 are stupid easy to change in comparison.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well... I guess I owe you money, bj, new turbo etc.

Good grief, I would have drank myself to death trying to do the dash removal.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts