Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All-

The factory specifies to inflate all 4 tires at 38 psi. Has anyone played around with it? I believe one way to find the optimal pressure/grip is to mark the side walls and look at the wear. Any input will be appreciated.

(I am running on stock rims and tires)

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I have not messed with my tire pressure and the outside tread (little grooves that extend to the sidewall) on my front tires is all but gone, and after only 6000 miles! The inside tread is fine, which makes me believe the potenzas are meant to wear this way, but I've been relatively good to my tires so maybe a little more pressure would be good for around the town driving.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have not messed with my tire pressure and the outside tread (little grooves that extend to the sidewall) on my front tires is all but gone, and after only 6000 miles! The inside tread is fine, which makes me believe the potenzas are meant to wear this way, but I've been relatively good to my tires so maybe a little more pressure would be good for around the town driving.
[/b]
No kidding I rotated my tires at the 1st oil cahnge and the the same thing ,The tires are wore to 3/32nds on the edges at 5k and the psi was set at 40 psi . The rears were worn the most . kinda weird mabe more wheel spin in the rear than I tought . Have draged raced with it a few times but no real hard cornering.Any one else?

·
Registered
23 Posts
No kidding I rotated my tires at the 1st oil cahnge and the the same thing ,The tires are wore to 3/32nds on the edges at 5k and the psi was set at 40 psi . The rears were worn the most . kinda weird mabe more wheel spin in the rear than I tought . Have draged raced with it a few times but no real hard cornering.Any one else?
[/b]
I had two sets of potenzas under my old 6.. first set life ended after 30000km, 2nd set ended after 39000km(69000km). Potenzas got good grip but so soft rubber mixture...

If u meant abt wheel spin.. my current set under ms6 isn't really worn more either rear or front .. tought only 11000km so far...

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
What's the appropriate pressure when the tires are hot, 43 psi?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just checked my tire pressure yesterday and they were all in the range of 46/47 PSI. Now I thought the recommended pressure was 37 or 38 PSI (according to the manual). I did not inflate the tires to this pressure, I guess it was the Mazda service techs that did this. Does this seem a little high to anyone?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I just checked my tire pressure yesterday and they were all in the range of 46/47 PSI. Now I thought the recommended pressure was 37 or 38 PSI (according to the manual). I did not inflate the tires to this pressure, I guess it was the Mazda service techs that did this. Does this seem a little high to anyone?
[/b]

I inflate mine to 40 psi. the manual calls for 38 psi. I took mine to the dealership and they said they checked the tire pressure, but when i got it back all the tires had different readings.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
any of the gauges at autozone or pep boys should work fine. yah the gas station gauges suck.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm probably going to put the tire pressure back down to about 40 PSI unless someone can recommend a better value?

·
Registered
490 Posts
I run my pressure at 33 front and 31 rear COLD. I use a digital that I bought at Harbor Frieght and it shows .5psi increments.
I have minimal wear for the way I have drove it. And it is even at all 4 corners.
I am going to see if COSTCO will refill the tires with gas instead of compressed air. I have 2 NISSANs that COSTCO has the gas in and the wear at 10k is superb. Also the pressure holds quite constant, compared to the HOT/COLD variance of air.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
yah i gotta look into that costco thing as well - thats the ideal situation.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I'm probably going to put the tire pressure back down to about 40 PSI unless someone can recommend a better value?
[/b]
Your tire pressure will increase by 5-6 PSI after just driving a few miles because the tires generate heat. So even though the guage reads 43-44 HOT, your actual COLD tire pressure, which si what MAZDA measures, is around 38 PSI.

Readings could be different on different tires I think because one tire could be hotter than the other depending on how agressive you were driving.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
run my pressure at 33 front and 31 rear COLD. I[/b]
That puts your equivilant load rating far below the MINIMUM manufacture specs. Unless you are running tires with significantly higher load rating, I wouldn't screw around with trying to run psi below minimum spec's.

If you need any evidence of why this is a horribly bad idea (and I'm not talking wear here, I'm talking increased chance of really bad stuff happening), check out posts by toyoguy on this forum, or visit tirerack.com's technical section.

Of course you could just ignore any and all advice and just run around smug and confident in your own ability to properly research decisions involving your safety and well being.

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?show...c=23786&hl=

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?show...=33026&st=0

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=51570

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tec...e.jsp?techid=35

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/tire2.htm

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tirespecskey.jsp

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
just a thought, but it's always good to use Nitrogen in your tires vice compressed air. it allows for maintaining proper tire inflation.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
11 Participants
mk706
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing