Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can we do to lower the weight in our car with out taking to much of the luxury out. Something like light weight wheels, lighter shocks, light weight hoods sound dampening etc.. I want to get about 3200 pounds. Right now i currently weight 3500 even without me in it with everything in it. What do you guys think.

·
Registered
488 Posts
If you did not like fat women, you should not have married one. These are heavy beasts, in some respects it is an asset, it is a great car for long distance cruising. It is a by product of all the luxury stuff and the chassis stiffening and the AWD setup. More cushion for the pushin :).

·
Registered
211 Posts
I think about this too... but not to the tune of 300 lbs! I already got a carbon hood and that saved about 40 lbs. next I am going to get a lightweight battery, and lighter rims. - rims will make the most difference in acceleration. I would like to point out that the weight bias is something like 60/40 so assuming we are going for performance, weight off the front would be more desirable than the rear. the electric seats to a race seat would be a good move too. but I dont want to go ruining my car by shaving sound dampening material or any of that stuff... I could have just gotten a Subi or Mitsu...

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I think about this too... but not to the tune of 300 lbs! I already got a carbon hood and that saved about 40 lbs. next I am going to get a lightweight battery, and lighter rims. - rims will make the most difference in acceleration. I would like to point out that the weight bias is something like 60/40 so assuming we are going for performance, weight off the front would be more desirable than the rear. the electric seats to a race seat would be a good move too. but I dont want to go ruining my car by shaving sound dampening material or any of that stuff... I could have just gotten a Subi or Mitsu...[/b]
Totally agree, I felt more SOTP speed from dropping 6lbs per corner than I did with the CAI, granted the combination of the two is even better :)

Seriously, lose your unsprung weight as a first step, it does make a noticeable difference

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
the rear seat setup only weighs about 25 lbs. its really just foam. take out some airbags. they weigh alot. just dont let your insurance company find out. big no no

oh and its really hard to lose 300 lbs from a car without taking out pretty much everything on the inside.

·
Registered
851 Posts
take out the twinkies and cupcakes out of your diet.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
take out the twinkies and cupcakes out of your diet.[/b]

Twinkies are soo good. How about devil dogs?

·
Registered
851 Posts
most people have already said what to cut, and get a lightweight battery and batt tray. unless you want to get real nitty gritty and lose some of the luxury.......but I really don't see the point, just get a turbo kit and offset the weight with 400awhp and you can eat all the twinkies you want.

but then again that's just me. but you can get into removing sound deading material, unneeded bolts and brackets, etc.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Like most said the most important places to reduce weight is rotational mass and unsprung mass. So rims, calipers, rotors would be an excellent start. It will accelerate better, stop and turn better than saving the twice the weight on the body.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Somewhere on the net there's a video called "free horsepower" or something like that. Basically they took a riced up sedan that ran something like a 16 sec 1/4 and, by reducing weight, got it into the 11s IIRC. Of course, after they removed the spare, rear seat, passenger seat they had to really creative. In the end, just a driver's seat, the engine/tranny, the basic chassis and the steering mechanism. You might not want to go quite that far...

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
reducing weight and keeping luxury? are you seriously asking this question?

remove all glass, all insulation, air conditioning, stereo, seats, dash, carpet, all airbags, headliner, anything that was plastic, throw away exhaust, throw away headlights, tail lights. that'll yield about $150lbs :)

·
Registered
851 Posts
dr. bob sports car compact did that article it was a 1.5l sentra they got down into the 13s with drag radials. all they had left was the engine trans and a seat.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Like most said the most important places to reduce weight is rotational mass and unsprung mass. So rims, calipers, rotors would be an excellent start. It will accelerate better, stop and turn better than saving the twice the weight on the body.[/b]
Removing the calipers, rotors, and rims won't help much when the car is sitting on blocks. :nana:

·
Registered
606 Posts
Aside from wheels, I thought that a lightened flywheel was a great way to go faster through a car's first three gears. On a Probe GT, running a lightened flywheel was like removing 200lbs through first gear. However, as you row through the gears, you get less back; so it's really a plus from a stop light or in a rolling start.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
reducing weight and keeping luxury? are you seriously asking this question?

remove all glass, all insulation, air conditioning, stereo, seats, dash, carpet, all airbags, headliner, anything that was plastic, throw away exhaust, throw away headlights, tail lights. that'll yield about $150lbs :)[/b]
i think this is possible. If i get rid of that big head unit and get go aftermarket that will save about 10-15 pounds. I can get the lightweight battery and tray from CP-e and that is about 20+ pounds there right? If get lightweight wheels that can shave about 80 pounds in itself. spare tire is about 30 pounds So that is about 120 pounds there. I think 300 pounds is attainable and i have not lost my luxury. I am not trying to make a race car persay out of this car i just want to come down off 3500 puonds. I was just wondering what if anything others did to shave weight and what extent did they go to to get that weight out. I think i can get a mid 13 out of the car with just a little dieting stock.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.